ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   so Donald Trump (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=899)

GoBigBlue88 02-21-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 3049)
I knew you didnt have an answer

If you don't see the difference between calling a woman the c-word, and calling a guy a dick, I can't help you. And if you can't see why it's problematic that angry white men are out there calling Clinton a c-word above all else, with no real substance to stand on besides their own hate and misogyny, I really can't help you.

Brylok 02-21-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 3078)
Are the Democrats any less guilty of that divide, though? Believe me, I personally think GOP obstructionism is a huge reason we find ourselves in many of the sinkholes we do now (AKA the butchering of Obamacare from its original form).

But during Hillary's campaign, it was still, more or less, "us versus the deplorables". Now, Hillary had a little more ground to stand on there because a lot of the Trump groundswell was literally Russian trolls hiding being anonymous social media accounts, stoking fires and generating buzz around their candidate so as to most sully (through memes, of all things) Hillary's name, while keeping Trump hypervisible.

It was still presented as the good guys vs the bad guys though.

I feel contradictory talking/typing about Trump/this political environment, because I really do believe this election is such an outlier in American history. Whereas I never believed in a "wrong" candidate in past elections, I really do believe Trump was the wrong guy elected for the wrong reasons in this one.

It sounds contradictory, I know, but I still feel that while trying to be mindful of partisan divide and realizing the only way to really maximize what America can be is to get everyone to agree that A) we need to be better working together on many things and B) we probably shouldn't elect self-serving, incompetent, ratings/election results-obsessed lunatics to office and expect a better America.

Instead of using the term "deplorables", Hillary should have just called them "white supremacists and neo-nazis". Call them what they are. He'll, we fought a world war against their type of thinking before. Their platform has already been ruled unacceptable, and they simply aren't deserving of equal time. There would be fewer idiots on twitter if they had to post under 'NeonaziMike' instead of 'DeplorableMike' etc.

rcubed 02-21-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 3062)
i understand that hillary was a terrible candidate.

but you are fucking kidding me if you think race doesn't play a role with trump and a god damn huge role.

people like to hide from it and i always wonder what they do for a living? where do they go? because daily i see people saying horrific racist shit.

It was interesting that once trump's campaign started gaining traction it became "ok" to start spouting racist or borderline-racist commentary. They are out there, this was their opportunity to start being more vocal.

sherck 02-21-2017 02:13 PM

For the most part, I have decided that I need to stay out of any political topic on this board. However, I was reading an article today and I felt like the below quotes were pretty dead on:
Quote:

The goal of democratic politics is to ensure a just government, and the purpose of a just government is to secure life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. On November 8, millions of Americans ensured a just government—yet again—through a legitimate election and the peaceful transfer of power.

Not everyone is happy with the results, of course, but that doesn’t mean we live under a tyranny. Until there’s some credible sign of impending tyranny, beyond having either a Democrat or a Republican being in power, Americans of all political persuasions need to get on with the more important business of pursuing happiness.

Poetry Is More Important Than Politics

The Founding Fathers understood this from the beginning. John Adams knew he had to engage in politics to preserve liberty for future generations. But in the hierarchy of human pursuits, politics ranked low:

Quote:

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain.
What a reversal we see today, when so much of our popular culture, from music to television to “literary” fiction, is political. That’s not just because so much of it references politics, but because so much of it is created specifically to convey a political message.

There’s a danger in all of this. When politics becomes the most important thing in life, it’s easy to lose respect for everyone outside your political faction. This is what’s happening in America right now. The election did not make it so, but it has shined a light on the trend.

That’s not normal or healthy. When you lose respect for your fellow citizens over an election, when you break ties with family and friends over it, you’re not just saying you won’t share a meal or a conversation with them; you’re saying you won’t share a country with them.
Keep it classy, Freaks. Even though I don't agree with some of you, I still want to talk Colts will all of you.

Cheers,

smitty46953 02-21-2017 02:21 PM

Yes, it is a shame when politics dominate a Colts board ...
Like him or not he is what he is... I say give him a chance ... If he ends up a total screw up he will be gone in a tad less than 4 years... :cool:

Now back to bashing the Pats and the rest of the AFC South... :cool:

sherck 02-21-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 3119)
Yes, it is a shame when politics dominate a Colts board ...
Like him or not he is what he is... I say give him a chance ... If he ends up a total screw up he will be gone in a tad less than 4 years... :cool:

Now back to bashing the Pats and the rest of the AFC South... :cool:

Heh. I was giving a briefing today and the IT guy was having an issue bringing up my PowerPoint slides so I was trying to keep things light and make conservation.

I asked how many of the 40 odd folks in the room were happy about the Pats winning the SB and only one person raised their hand. Born in Boston, of course.

But, afterwards, I had like six folks come up and indicate that they really hated the Pats.

Anyway, I don't think there are as many Pats fans as would justify their massive presence on all sports related talk shows.

Cheers,

Puck 02-21-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 3079)
If you don't see the difference between calling a woman the c-word, and calling a guy a dick, I can't help you. And if you can't see why it's problematic that angry white men are out there calling Clinton a c-word above all else, with no real substance to stand on besides their own hate and misogyny, I really can't help you.

Why do you think it's only angry WHITE men doing this? Again define cunt for me so I can see if I find real substance to stand behind my thinking...

It's funny I'm not even talking politics.... I just want GBB to admit he is being ridiculously judgemental deciding what I or anyone else can think in deciding what we see as the difference between a Saint and a cunt.

If cunt is so bad should this be the ONLY banned word on this board?

You are really bad at this

Pez 02-22-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 3086)
Instead of using the term "deplorables", Hillary should have just called them "white supremacists and neo-nazis". Call them what they are. He'll, we fought a world war against their type of thinking before. Their platform has already been ruled unacceptable, and they simply aren't deserving of equal time. There would be fewer idiots on twitter if they had to post under 'NeonaziMike' instead of 'DeplorableMike' etc.

She shouldn't have called them anything, she shouldn't have mentioned them at all. What purpose could possibly be served by insulting Americans? "Oh, Hillary Clinton hates me, maybe I should vote for her..."

Trump more or less handed Hillary the high ground and dared her to walk on it. She didn't do it and she failed.

There's a scenario in my head where Trump has an epic meltdown and falls flat on his face, and the disaster that follows is what ends the completely illogical polarization that is killing this country.

I know I'm late to this thread, but it's important to see all the details... Trump is a magician, he wants us to look at something so we dont see something else. For instance, he wants liberals to focus on travel bans that look like he hates muslims, or deportation orders that everyone knows are logistically impossible.

Meanwhile, an executive order rescinds the stream rules that called for:

1. no coal mines within 100 feet of a stream (just over three first downs)
2. any coal mines that have polluted a stream have to clean it up
3. streams near coal mines must be tested before, during and after mining operations

The coal mining industry gave $13.5 million dollars to conservative candidates last year, including $70,000 to Paul Ryan himself.

Nothing to see here folks, nothing to see here....

Brylok 02-23-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 3196)
She shouldn't have called them anything, she shouldn't have mentioned them at all. What purpose could possibly be served by insulting Americans? "Oh, Hillary Clinton hates me, maybe I should vote for her..."

Trump more or less handed Hillary the high ground and dared her to walk on it. She didn't do it and she failed.

There's a scenario in my head where Trump has an epic meltdown and falls flat on his face, and the disaster that follows is what ends the completely illogical polarization that is killing this country.

I know I'm late to this thread, but it's important to see all the details... Trump is a magician, he wants us to look at something so we dont see something else. For instance, he wants liberals to focus on travel bans that look like he hates muslims, or deportation orders that everyone knows are logistically impossible.

Meanwhile, an executive order rescinds the stream rules that called for:

1. no coal mines within 100 feet of a stream (just over three first downs)
2. any coal mines that have polluted a stream have to clean it up
3. streams near coal mines must be tested before, during and after mining operations

The coal mining industry gave $13.5 million dollars to conservative candidates last year, including $70,000 to Paul Ryan himself.

Nothing to see here folks, nothing to see here....

I'm not going to argue with any of that. You're right. The Democrats once again pulled defeat from the jaws of victory. Trump is a distraction from what is going on in the background, but he's still a dangerous cult of personality. My biggest fear is for the country/republic/democracy itself. I'm afraid that the political divide is too big and too bitter to ever be bridged. More than half of the electorate doesn't bother, and the remaining people are split in half and hate each other. It's a perfect recipe for disaster and I think it's coming. I'm hoping for the best but... Yikes.

Pez 02-23-2017 02:47 PM

It's really hard to be optimistic. I've been blowing up Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnel's twitter feeds. They are both cowards, happily smiling as we exhume Joseph McCarthy.