ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Frank Reich press conference (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35431)

Puck 02-13-2018 07:01 PM

Frank Reich press conference

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/E...9-490b0a416bcf

Obviously says all the right things just like Pagshit did. But I still like this choice a lot.

YDFL Commish 02-13-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 55740)
http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/E...9-490b0a416bcf

Obviously says all the right things just like Pagshit did. But I still like this choice a lot.

Yeah they all kinda say the right things. But this is a guy who looks like he not only feels comfortable in his own skin, but a guy who will own losses and bad play calls and undisciplined play and share in the victories and great play calls.

Very unlike Pags, who eventually found a scapegoat for everything.

Puck 02-13-2018 07:29 PM

Frank will be calling the plays

omahacolt 02-13-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 55742)
Frank will be calling the plays

I have a feeling this will work much better.

Colts And Orioles 02-13-2018 08:44 PM

o

Frank Reich engineered 2 of the most historic comebacks in football history.

In 1984, his Maryland Terrapins were losing to Miami, Fla. by a score of 31-0 at halftime. Maryland came back to win by a score of 42-40.

8 years later, his Buffalo Bills were losing to the Oilers by a score of 35-3 early in the 3rd quarter of the 1992 AFC Wildcard Playoff game. Reich and company came back to win by a score of 41-38, in overtime.

I like the notion of having a guy with that kind of resolve at the helm.

o

Indiana V2 02-13-2018 09:42 PM

I liked a lot of what he had to say, hopefully it works out, looking forward to next season.

YDFL Commish 02-13-2018 09:52 PM

On a positive note; Reich never once mentioned chopping wood, sticking to the process, groundhog day and spaghetti and meatballs for Thanksgiving.

DrSpaceman 02-13-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 55758)
On a positive note; Reich never once mentioned chopping wood, sticking to the process, groundhog day and spaghetti and meatballs for Thanksgiving.

If I was a reporter that would have been my first question :
"How do you feel about chopping wood?"

kitekrazy 02-13-2018 10:17 PM

So the Colts got the Super Bowl winning OC as oppose to the losing one and guy who helped a backup QB to become the MVP.

I guess that's not so bad.

Butter 02-13-2018 10:45 PM

I have mixed feelings on HCs calling plays.

smitty46953 02-13-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 55764)

Worked for Andy Reid, oh wait bad example :eek:

sherck 02-14-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 55764)

On one hand, he will be in the flow of the game and know when to press and when to play it cool.

On the other hand, it might be easy for him to end up overlooking Special Teams or Defensive game planning if he is focused on his next play calling.

Hmmm....I guess that is about the definition of "mixed feelings!" :)

Walk Worthy,

smitty46953 02-14-2018 10:06 AM

Link to yesterdays presser introducing Frank Reich ... :cool:

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/F...b-379fcfc8413e

YDFL Commish 02-14-2018 11:17 AM

This is coaching folks. It's what we can look forward to. It's something we would have never seen from the previous, sorry ass regime.

Sorry Dam, COACHING DOES FUKN MATTER!

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/11/ea...mqb-peter-king

HoosierinFL 02-14-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 55793)
This is coaching folks. It's what we can look forward to. It's something we would have never seen from the previous, sorry ass regime.

plus there's that quote he cited near the end of his press conference, about "you don't suddenly become the opposite of your habits and thoughts" which he correctly interprets as pointing to the importance of practice and preparation. This is one of the main ways coaching matters - if players are not executing on the field it may be talent but its mostly that they didn't practice enough, or practice well enough. And that falls on coaching.

Dam8610 02-14-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

You would've said to Einstein that his equation was wrong because "ENERGY ISN'T MATTER!" because you have no understanding of the concept of relativity.

omahacolt 02-14-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 55816)
You would've said to Einstein that his equation was wrong because "ENERGY ISN'T MATTER!" because you have no understanding of the concept of relativity.

What a dumbass

1965southpaw 02-14-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

This makes me happy. This is exactly what Venturi has been ranting about for the last year....that our coloring book offense doesn't use stacks, bunches, motion to design TY and others into good, creative plays.......I had a chance to hear Big Joe interview Reich today (they are teammates from Buffalo and they had a really open chemistry....I'm going to like hearing more of Big Joe and Reich interviews) and there were a couple of things I took away:

1.He's smart....I hate to say this of anyone but I just don't think Pagano and his staff were very smart. We didn't have smart schemes and the mental agility required to make in game adjustments/calls were beyond Pagano's reach. I don't know if it's because he is a former QB and you have to do more thinking than other positions or if it's because he was a Backup QB where you have to be sharp enough to out-think your physical shortcomings but this man struck me as smart and I'm all in on that! Big Joe was relating that Reich was the first in the late 80s of the Buffalo teammates to own an Apple computer. He's not afraid to lean into new thinking.......the old concept of stop the run and run the ball (artifact from 60s football) will not be the only trick in his book. I also don't think not having called plays is an issue. As a QB he is used to having to pay attention to multiple things in game and be ready to call an audible. I think he has the mental agility to make that work at least until his OC gets settled in for a year or two.

2. He's humble.......I genuinely don't think he cares that he's a second choice or that he is inheriting 3 coaches. He openly acknowledged that given that alot of the coaching talent he's got on his list has been snapped up in new jobs having 3 slots already filled is helpful and he genuinely thinks they are talented guys he can work with. He talk alot about collaboration and given his humility I think that is a true part of his leadership style. I was pleased to hear that he already had a coaching list ready for whenever he might get a head coach nod so that's a level of preparation that he seems to bring to everything.

3. He's competitive......not in a dumb way (Griff Whalen ST play anyone?) but in an aggressive/smart way. Big Joe was asking him to clarify the roles that HE and Pedersen played on offense and he basically said that he designed the game plans and Pedersen called the game....it was his job to design really good plays and Pedersen's job to pull the right play out of the book for the specific situation. Also he kept emphasizing collaboration. Big Joe was saying something like he'd be remembered for architechting the Philly Special and he said no, I guarantee you we will have an Indy Special and it will be even better!!!!!!!! I about had an orgasm right there. :p

Brylok 02-14-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 55816)

I'm sure you could enlighten us, but we're not interested in your nonsense. Well, most of us aren't...

YDFL Commish 02-14-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 55863)
Big Joe was saying something like he'd be remembered for architechting the Philly Special and he said no, I guarantee you we will have an Indy Special and it will be even better!!!!!!!! I about had an orgasm right there. :p

Two things: So we didn't already see the "Indy Special" on October 18 2015?
Did you record that?

1965southpaw 02-14-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 55872)
Two things: So we didn't already see the "Indy Special" on October 18 2015?
Did you record that?

The interview or the orgasm? Lol. The interview should be available on The Fan podcast. The orgasm was not recorded. :)

HoosierinFL 02-15-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 55863)
This makes me happy. This is exactly what Venturi has been ranting about for the last year....that our coloring book offense doesn't use stacks, bunches, motion to design TY and others into good, creative plays.......I had a chance to hear Big Joe interview Reich today (they are teammates from Buffalo and they had a really open chemistry....I'm going to like hearing more of Big Joe and Reich interviews) and there were a couple of things I took away

And ultimately this is why I'm less worried about the offensive line. Yes, we've had some talent problems, but for the last 2 years I've felt that this group is capable of being better than they show on game day, and mostly that is because there is no creativity in the offense which allows teams to play man on our receivers, with safety help, while they blitz on a majority of downs.
This results in WRs taking forever to get open, games in which TY or Moncrief just disappear, and QBs taking a beating.

1965southpaw 02-15-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 55914)
And ultimately this is why I'm less worried about the offensive line. Yes, we've had some talent problems, but for the last 2 years I've felt that this group is capable of being better than they show on game day, and mostly that is because there is no creativity in the offense which allows teams to play man on our receivers, with safety help, while they blitz on a majority of downs.
This results in WRs taking forever to get open, games in which TY or Moncrief just disappear, and QBs taking a beating.

I agree a thousand percent. Although I'd like to see them add at least one playmaker to shore up the right side of the line.

YDFL Commish 02-15-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 55925)
I agree a thousand percent. Although I'd like to see them add at least one playmaker to shore up the right side of the line.

I agree, although I hesitate t call OL playmakers. G-T-G-T-G-T-G-T? I'm always going back and forth on this.

But currently we not only don't have a LG, but we don't have a RG. VJ sucks, Haeg is ok at RG. Good is a RT (maybe not a good one, but that is his best spot). Clark, who the fuck knows?

To me we gotta get one solid G in here, and then see what we got. And I'm totally against re-signing Mewhort. Hell, he may never play again, if he can't get his knees right. Plus he has Grigson stench on him.

ChoppedWood 02-15-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Reich was very high on my list, much higher than McFuckoffeatadickaniels. Very happy we have this dude in the fold and I think we just took a giant step forward, I think this team will grow rapidly with him manning the ship.

Very happy about how this turned out.

1965southpaw 02-16-2018 10:43 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/andrew-luck...005205018.html

“I know all the best offenses that I’ve been a part of in my career we’ve not been static and we’ve attacked. And I’m sure he’ll have a great flavor and we’ll involve as many people as we can, and attacking defenses is what it’s all about.”

Let me decode this for you.....he's saying running Gore up the middle on every freaking first and second down is unimaginative and not that tough to defend and is singularly the reason why ive had a lacerated kidney and my right shoulder shredded trying to save the fucking drive on 3rd down when that brilliant design didn't work. I'm a fucking Stanford grad and finally we will have something better than a coloring book offense that any 5 year old could run. Halle-fucking-lujah!!

DrSpaceman 02-16-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 56025)
https://sports.yahoo.com/andrew-luck...005205018.html

“I know all the best offenses that I’ve been a part of in my career we’ve not been static and we’ve attacked. And I’m sure he’ll have a great flavor and we’ll involve as many people as we can, and attacking defenses is what it’s all about.”

Let me decode this for you.....he's saying running Gore up the middle on every freaking first and second down is unimaginative and not that tough to defend and is singularly the reason why ive had a lacerated kidney and my right shoulder shredded trying to save the fucking drive on 3rd down when that brilliant design didn't work. I'm a fucking Stanford grad and finally we will have something better than a coloring book offense that any 5 year old could run. Halle-fucking-lujah!!

Yes to all of that

And maybe you consider throwing your screen passes to the younger and faster back in Mack rather than the older and slower back in Gore, for many reasons.

And perhaps use your WRs with speed like TY and Rogers on more end arounds or outside running plays.

And FIND a way to get your playmakers like TY the ball so they can make plays rather than just writing them out of the gameplan once the D finds a way to shut them down in the first half.

Maybe find a way to actually run a WR screen that works, like every other decent passing offense in the league seems to be able to do

VeveJones007 02-16-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 55914)

That Eagles offense was led by one of the best lines in football. If the OL is still crap, Reich's offense will also flounder.

smitty46953 02-16-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 56030)
That Eagles offense was led by one of the best lines in football. If the OL is still crap, Reich's offense will also flounder.

Yep :cool:

HoosierinFL 02-16-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 56030)

true but kinda missing the point that a smart and creative offensive scheme, the RPOs and other mis-directions that keep the defense off balance, can make an offensive line look really good. Meanwhile a predictable coloring book offense can make an offensive line look really bad.
So the question remains - is the talent on the Eagles O-line really that much better than ours? Or are they benefiting from smart play design while ours is suffering behind stupidity and predictability?

YDFL Commish 02-16-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 56055)
true but kinda missing the point that a smart and creative offensive scheme, the RPOs and other mis-directions that keep the defense off balance, can make an offensive line look really good. Meanwhile a predictable coloring book offense can make an offensive line look really bad.
So the question remains - is the talent on the Eagles O-line really that much better than ours? Or are they benefiting from smart play design while ours is suffering behind stupidity and predictability?

Well, I can tell you right now, that we don't have a Lane Johnson or a Jason Kelce. I'm not even sure if we have a Stefen Wisniewski.

Kelce is closer to a Jeff Saturday than Kelly is. In fact I'm not sure that Kelly might be better off at guard in this offense.

Maniac 02-16-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 56076)
Well, I can tell you right now, that we don't have a Lane Johnson or a Jason Kelce. I'm not even sure if we have a Stefen Wisniewski.

Kelce is closer to a Jeff Saturday than Kelly is. In fact I'm not sure that Kelly might be better off at guard in this offense.

What????? Kelly is not a weak link on this o-line.

Butter 02-16-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 56076)

Maybe ot, but I think better coaching and a better offensive scheme can make an OL look much better.