ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Henry Anderson down 20 pounds (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40371)

sherck 04-11-2018 09:18 AM

Henry Anderson down 20 pounds

From a Stampede Blue article quoting Henry:
Quote:

“Having three months where I can really just focus on trying to get stronger, faster, get my body fat down and all that kind of stuff definitely feels good. About 15-20 pounds lighter than I was. We switched the scheme up a little bit so I have to be a little bit quicker and faster. I definitely just feel like I’m moving a lot better because obviously not carrying as much weight so you can kind of move around and be a little more agile.”

“Yeah, and it was kind of hard for me to keep the weight on. I could do it, but I feel like I’m a little bit more comfortable at this weight anyway. It wasn’t hard for me to drop that weight. Obviously, moving to the 4-3 I knew that I couldn’t be like an edge guy at 295 [pounds]. I kind of needed to drop some weight there.”

“I would think probably more of an outside guy in at least early downs and possibly kick inside on third down on more of like a pass rush situation. So we’ll see.

At the snap of the ball you’re just freaking going. It’s not as much sitting back and waiting. You’re just going and trying to disrupt. It’s exciting to hear the coaches talk about it. I wish I knew how it’s going to be playing the defense, but I really haven’t played it before so I’m not going to find out until once we get on to the field.”
The article author noted that losing 20 pounds would put Anderson at 285 which is the same weight that Aaron Donald plays at.

I had not really considered Anderson on the outside at DE in anything except anti-"jumbo" running packages. Be interesting to see where the coaches like him....and if he can stay healthy.

Walk Worthy,

rm1369 04-11-2018 09:53 AM

If Anderson is lining up outside who does that leave inside? Woods doesn’t seem to fit after what was said about the Hankins release. When the switch to a 4-3 was announced I assumed Anderson and Hankins would be inside w/ Woods and Hunt in the rotation. I felt pretty good about that. Now I have no idea what that position group looks like.

sherck 04-11-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 62738)
If Anderson is lining up outside who does that leave inside? Woods doesn’t seem to fit after what was said about the Hankins release. When the switch to a 4-3 was announced I assumed Anderson and Hankins would be inside w/ Woods and Hunt in the rotation. I felt pretty good about that. Now I have no idea what that position group looks like.

I think Ridgeway is going to factor larger than many believe. I think he is much better built as a 4-3 1-gap guy than the 2-gap guy we drafted him as.

If I had to rub the crystal ball while projecting Anderson outside on early downs:

RDE = Sheard, Basham
NT = Woods, Stewart
UT = Ridgeway, Hunt
LDE = Anderson, Aubry

Then perhaps Sheard / Anderson / Ridgeway / Basham on pure passing downs. Those 4 probably have the most "pep" in their get-up on the roster at the moment.

Walk Worthy,

HoosierinFL 04-11-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 62742)

RDE = Sheard, Basham
NT = Woods, Stewart
UT = Ridgeway, Hunt
LDE = Anderson, Aubry

Then perhaps Sheard / Anderson / Ridgeway / Basham on pure passing downs.

that seems to make the most sense, though the possible addition of Chubb would alter this.

sherck 04-11-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 62745)
that seems to make the most sense, though the possible addition of Chubb would alter this.

I don't think there is a position group on the team that we could not add a talented rookie to and be better.

QB, TE, OC, P, K are about the only places that a 1st or 2nd round rookie would not be welcome to join and become a probably day one starter. Any other position group would be upgraded by a talented rookie.

That said, I don't hate the current DT / DE position groups. They are no better than NFL average (at best) but at least there are not huge, gaping holes in their depth chart unlike MLB and WSLB depth charts (and honestly SSLB after John Simon).

There? Huge gaping holes!

Walk Worthy,

Colts And Orioles 04-11-2018 01:12 PM

o

"Give me the athletes."

Tony Dungy, when asked about his defensive linemen and linebackers whom were often lighter than most of said players on other teams.

Also, when Jimmy Johnson was coaching Miami Fla between 1984 and 1988, he moved converted some of his defensive backs into linebackers, and linebackers into defensive linemen ........ getting smaller, but also more athletic on the defensive side of the ball.

o

Chromeburn 04-11-2018 02:02 PM

I like Anderson, one of Grigs lone good picks. But I don't know if he can be a 3-tech. I think we draft one this draft. Now I wonder if he can be an end. Probably not, but hopeful.

FatDT 04-11-2018 03:48 PM

Based on the Dallas defense that Eberflus is coming from, the strongside DE and the rangier DT are about the same in size and skillset. He could play either or both positions. Guessing he'll be in the David Irving role.

Maniac 04-11-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 62763)
o

"Give me the athletes."

Tony Dungy, when asked about his defensive linemen and linebackers whom were often lighter than most of said players on other teams.

Also, when Jimmy Johnson was coaching Miami Fla between 1984 and 1988, he moved converted some of his defensive backs into linebackers, and linebackers into defensive linemen ........ getting smaller, but also more athletic on the defensive side of the ball.

o

That's not a ringing endorsement since we had horrible DT's through most of Dungy's tenure until we got a fat ass to plug in there.

YDFL Commish 04-11-2018 05:56 PM

I mentioned this in several previous threads, that I though that Anderson would play somewhat of a Raheem Brock role. Play outside on run downs and move inside on passing downs.

I'm not saying that is what his role will be 100% of the time. There may be some games, against some opponents, that he plays more inside.

Colts And Orioles 04-11-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 62801)

That's not a ringing endorsement since we had horrible DT's through most of Dungy's tenure until we got a fat ass to plug in there.

o

Dungy was referring largely to Mathis (235 lbs.) Freeney (268 lbs.)

The Miami, Fla. teams between 1984 and 1988 are a better example in specific relation to all of the linemen and linebackers.

o

Coltsalr 04-11-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 62801)

We did get Booger McFarland on Dungy’s recommendation.

That, and there was some weirdness on the DT front. Corey Simon had the freak injury that we never got the full story on. Montae Reagor was great until the car accident and then that got weird as well. Gangsta Ed Johnson was good until he had the pot arrest which they cut him for...

Like I said, some weirdness at that position...

Chromeburn 04-11-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 62828)

That, and there was some weirdness on the DT front. Corey Simon had the freak injury that we never got the full story on. Montae Reagor was great until the car accident and then that got weird as well. Gangsta Ed Johnson was good until he had the pot arrest which they cut him for...

Wish we had addressed the position sooner. The tampa 2 needs to bestrong up the middle. DT, Mike, rangy S. Polian always tried to use lower picks to address it and the best defensive athletes go in the first.

YDFL Commish 04-11-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 62828)

Don't forget that we had to play the cunt....Keyunta Dawson...all 268 lbs of him, or Larry Tripplett, or the video game addict from Ohio State, who quit the team.

Coltsalr 04-11-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 62831)
Don't forget that we had to play the cunt....Keyunta Dawson...all 268 lbs of him, or Larry Tripplett, or the video game addict from Ohio State, who quit the team.

Heh, Quinn Pitcock. Or Quitcock. Or Pigcock. So many nickname possibilities there.

And I liked Larry Triplett. Though he probably fell into the Dungy-era DT oddities in that he was a guy that bolted that actually had suitor(s) wanting him.

omahacolt 04-13-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 62833)
Heh, Quinn Pitcock. Or Quitcock. Or Pigcock. So many nickname possibilities there.

And I liked Larry Triplett. Though he probably fell into the Dungy-era DT oddities in that he was a guy that bolted that actually had suitor(s) wanting him.

A suitor wanted him due to his one year playing next to Simon

ukcolt 04-13-2018 01:06 PM

Maurice Hurst would appear to be the absolute perfect fit for this defense, the smaller penetrating interior defensive lineman.

Puck 04-13-2018 04:28 PM

A guy to keep an eye on. DJ Hall

Quote:

Quote:

STRENGTHS Staggering production. Dominated his level of competition for four years. Finished with 86.5 tackles for loss and 42 sacks for his career. Compact with explosive power. Has a 700-pound squat to his name. Quick off the snap with early hands. Sharp upward thrust into blocker establishes leverage. Owned point of attack against his competition. Able to brace up against double teams. Equally powerful with upper and lower body. Athletic and rangy as tackler. Drives under and through the guard’s edge. Corners tightly to quarterback once he’s in the pocket. Able to push pocket as bull rusher. Eyeballs quarterback and mirrors his scramble for secondary sacks. His 14 career blocked kicks is unheard of.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...dallas-cowboys

Chromeburn 04-15-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 63003)

If we can't get Hurst. I would like him in the 4th. Not sure where he slots right now. I actually see him more as a 3-tech.

Dam8610 04-15-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 63120)
If we can't get Hurst. I would like him in the 4th. Not sure where he slots right now. I actually see him more as a 3-tech.

He doesn't have the length the Colts want if they're going to build a DL similar to Dallas. Trenton Thompson would be a better option in the 4th round, and in the early 2nd, Taven Bryan would fit better than Maurice Hurst.

Chromeburn 04-16-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 63131)
He doesn't have the length the Colts want if they're going to build a DL similar to Dallas. Trenton Thompson would be a better option in the 4th round, and in the early 2nd, Taven Bryan would fit better than Maurice Hurst.

I've been back and forth on that as to who they will value more. While height is nice, I see Tavon as a bit of a project and more so Trenton, at least in the pass rush department. I don't want to end up with a Taco Charleton just because he is a few inches taller than the guy with better production.

Dam8610 04-16-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 63186)
I've been back and forth on that as to who they will value more. While height is nice, I see Tavon as a bit of a project and more so Trenton, at least in the pass rush department. I don't want to end up with a Taco Charleton just because he is a few inches taller than the guy with better production.

Length references wingspan as well as height. Dallas's guys all had long arms as well as being proportionately lean. If Eberflus brings that philosophy over, I'd imagine he's going to be looking for tall, lean, long armed DTs and DEs. That's why Rasheem Green is a player I think they'll target. He's tall, has a big wingspan, definitely an athlete for his size, young yet still productive (had 10 sacks for USC last year) and could play the DE or DT position.

Dewey 5 04-28-2018 03:56 PM

Now he is a Jet. Traded for a 7th round pick. This I don't get.

Racehorse 04-28-2018 04:21 PM

Guess he can gain the weight back now.