ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Head Coaching Search (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31733)

rcubed 01-08-2018 02:40 PM

that was quick.

FatDT 01-08-2018 03:03 PM

McDaniels, Toub, or Wilks.

Apparently Wilks and Ballard were in Chicago together from 06-08 when Wilks was the DB coach and Ballard was a scout. Ballard's coaching background is as a WR and DB coach so it's likely their paths crossed.

According to SI (https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/14/st...nthers-defense) Wilks is likely to bring Carolina DL coach Eric Washington with him to be DC.

Thorgrim 01-08-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 50775)
McDaniels, Toub, or Wilks.

Apparently Wilks and Ballard were in Chicago together from 06-08 when Wilks was the DB coach and Ballard was a scout. Ballard's coaching background is as a WR and DB coach so it's likely their paths crossed.

According to SI (https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/14/st...nthers-defense) Wilks is likely to bring Carolina DL coach Eric Washington with him to be DC.

If Wilks if hired the drafting of Chubb is a forgone conclusion.

FatDT 01-08-2018 03:56 PM

Does not seem likely the Colts can wait til Thursday. If they're serious about Wilks I expect the interview will happen sooner.

DrSpaceman 01-08-2018 04:26 PM

Outside the stupid decision to start a rookie for one game when they were still in a playoff race, McDermott in Buffalo did pretty well this year. He also came from Carolina's defensive staff, like Wilks.

Gimmick 01-08-2018 04:34 PM

Why would anyone want Wilks? His defense gave up over 25 points per game and was near the bottom of the league last year statistically. This year they gave up about 23 points per game (middle of the pack) after Week 2 and gave up 31 in a playoff game.

It would be like Pagano 2.0 minus the impulsive button clicking, maybe.

Gimmick 01-08-2018 04:39 PM

Jim Harbaugh would be an excellent choice. I would like to see Andrew Luck team up with someone new, get him out of his comfort zone and push him, so that's a negative against Harbaugh (and David Shaw who is also qualified) but damn Jim Harbaugh as Colts coach makes too much sense.

If we're talking about NFL hires than Frank Reich would be the #1 guy to grab.

Josh McDaniels is also qualified and a great selection but **** the cheaters and that guy.

This Wilks guy would be a WTF are they even doing hire.

Thorgrim 01-08-2018 06:43 PM

I've got a funny feeling it's gonna be Toub. Probably has been all along with some mutual understanding thus no rush to hire.

VeveJones007 01-08-2018 08:59 PM

La Canfora tweets that Wilks could bring in John DeFilippo or Norv Turner as OC if he gets a HC spot.

Indiana V2 01-08-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 50825)
La Canfora tweets that Wilks could bring in John DeFilippo or Norv Turner as OC if he gets a HC spot.

Interesting...

Coltsalr 01-08-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimmick (Post 50790)
Jim Harbaugh would be an excellent choice. I would like to see Andrew Luck team up with someone new, get him out of his comfort zone and push him, so that's a negative against Harbaugh (and David Shaw who is also qualified) but damn Jim Harbaugh as Colts coach makes too much sense.

If we're talking about NFL hires than Frank Reich would be the #1 guy to grab.

Josh McDaniels is also qualified and a great selection but **** the cheaters and that guy.

This Wilks guy would be a WTF are they even doing hire.

If Harbaugh were leaving we would’ve heard about it by now.

Teams obviously put out feelers to him. It appears he shot them all down totally.

rcubed 01-08-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorgrim (Post 50809)
I've got a funny feeling it's gonna be Toub. Probably has been all along with some mutual understanding thus no rush to hire.

This is also what i have thought for a while. Due diligence in the rest of the interviews.

Racehorse 01-08-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 50835)
This is also what i have thought for a while. Due diligence in the rest of the interviews.

I think it will be Toub or McDaniels. There could be something surprising arise, but I would venture that one of those two is the man.

YDFL Commish 01-08-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 50825)

No thx to Norv.

Coltsalr 01-09-2018 07:04 AM

@GreggDoyelStar
Whatever it is, however big or small, the ONLY chance the Colts had at hiring Saban was for Alabama to win. Well, that’s taken care of. Now it’s time to throw money at him and see if he’s willing to catch it.

@ProFootballTalk
If I’m Jim Irsay, I make out a check to Nick Saban, sign it, and let him put in any amount he wants.

Racehorse 01-09-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50854)
@GreggDoyelStar
Whatever it is, however big or small, the ONLY chance the Colts had at hiring Saban was for Alabama to win. Well, that’s taken care of. Now it’s time to throw money at him and see if he’s willing to catch it.

@ProFootballTalk
If I’m Jim Irsay, I make out a check to Nick Saban, sign it, and let him put in any amount he wants.

People keep beating that drum, but it is no better than Dam beating the "Pagano doesn't suck" drum.

Maniac 01-09-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50854)
@GreggDoyelStar

@ProFootballTalk

I would hope that Ballard is the one making the call, not Irsay just going rogue and trying to sign a coach.

FatDT 01-09-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50866)
I would hope that Ballard is the one making the call, not Irsay just going rogue and trying to sign a coach.

It's Florio, he doesn't know anything.

Oldcolt 01-09-2018 11:52 AM

I don't want McDaniels. I don't buy for a minute that because you led a Brady qbed team to great offensive height you would do the same here. Being the head coach is much more about being able to hire the right assistants, setting the correct tone and managing men. McDaniels issues in Denver were not X and O's. It was his inability to manage relationships with some players (admittedly Culter appears to be an ass, but there are plenty of good players that are asses, you half to be able to manage them), something I think is difficult to teach. My choices (mostly ignorant because I've never met any of the candidates) would be Taub or Vrabel. To me they both seem like leaders of men, something this team has not had in ages. They seem like the sort of men that if Irsay said you need to fire you assistant coaches to keep your job would tell him to take a hike. At least that's what I want in our next coach.

DrSpaceman 01-09-2018 12:16 PM

Saban is not leaving Alabama.

That is much less likely than Harbaugh leaving Michigan.

Butter 01-09-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 50870)
It's Florio, he doesn't know anything.

He is pretty much the more successful and national version of Brad Wells.

FatDT 01-09-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 50888)
He is pretty much the more successful and national version of Brad Wells.

That's a good comparison. Though I think Wells would be 10x as insufferable if he had that platform. But then that is why he would never get that platform.

rcubed 01-09-2018 01:41 PM

Its being said we were all in in nagy but he chose the bears.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/...tter-situation

Coltsalr 01-09-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 50898)

This is disconcerting for a whole bunch of reasons.

Dam8610 01-09-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50899)
This is disconcerting for a whole bunch of reasons.

Why is Nagy being a poor talent evaluator and decision maker disconcerting? He's the Bears' problem now.

FatDT 01-09-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

I don't buy it. Kaplan is just a local Chicago sports guy, he isn't connected enough to know anybody that would have any idea if the Colts were "all in on hiring Matt Nagy".

Maniac 01-09-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

As someone said in the comments, if the Colts were all-in on Nagy, they wouldn't have several other interviews scheduled still. Sounds like BS.

VeveJones007 01-09-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50907)
As someone said in the comments, if the Colts were all-in on Nagy, they wouldn't have several other interviews scheduled still. Sounds like BS.

Something like that can easily be lost in translation. It could have been something innocuous like "the Colts liked what they heard from Nagy" or "Nagy was high on their list."

Though, I'm not sure I buy that point from the commenter. I believe the Colts only had one more scheduled interview after Nagy.

rcubed 01-09-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 50909)
Something like that can easily be lost in translation. It could have been something innocuous like "the Colts liked what they heard from Nagy" or "Nagy was high on their list."

Though, I'm not sure I buy that point from the commenter. I believe the Colts only had one more scheduled interview after Nagy.

I tend to think what FatDT said, local guy trying to drum shit up.

Coltsalr 01-09-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 50905)
Why is Nagy being a poor talent evaluator and decision maker disconcerting? He's the Bears' problem now.

If we were “all-in” on a poor talent evaluator and decision-maker that doesn’t bode well for our search.

We just fired a coach that was a poor talent evaluator and decision-maker.

Dam8610 01-09-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50919)
If we were “all-in” on a poor talent evaluator and decision-maker that doesn’t bode well for our search.

We just fired a coach that was a poor talent evaluator and decision-maker.

I don't think the report is accurate, either.

DrSpaceman 01-09-2018 05:11 PM

Nagy may have said that about the Bears, but what else is he going to say after being hired by the Bears?

"Yes I liked the Colts position better but didn't want to hold out until they were done interviewing and I had an offer, so I just settled on the Bears"

I wouldn't put much stock into it all. Who knows if he actually said that or the actual source.

I'd take a 75% Luck over a healthy Tribusky for the next 10 years

Heck for that matter, I would take Brissett over trubisky for the next decade. He outperformed him this past season, basically both rookies in terms of starting. Put an OL in front of him and with a competent OC and system in place, he would be OK, as good as what Trubisky has shown at least

1965southpaw 01-09-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 50917)
I tend to think what FatDT said, local guy trying to drum shit up.

Agreed. JMV and Rick Venturi are characterizing this as Chicago trying to make themselves feel better about the selection since KC just shit the bed in the second half of the wildcard game. The only candidates they are hearing Ballard MAY be "all in" on are Taub and Daniels. Ballard seems to be a man of his word and is keeping a very tight lid on leeks and it seems to really bother JMV that he's not getting anything of substance from his "sources".

Luck4Reich 01-09-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Everyone should have realized this was horse shit as soon as it was posted lol.

Gimmick 01-09-2018 08:37 PM

Yeah that **** is dumb. Who would ever fall for that?

Hopefully they are just waiting for Philly to lose this weekend so they can get Reich.

YDFL Commish 01-09-2018 10:05 PM

I'm mildly surprised that so few college coaches, not named Saban, Harbaugh and Shaw are getting any attention.

I'm talking about guys like James Franklin, Mike Leach, Matt Campbell and Chris Peterson.

The reason I say that, is that under the current CBA, the NFL is going to need to run more of the college concepts on offense. The systems and play calls are easier to learn, and most rookies and young players have already been trained in them.

Dewey 5 01-09-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimmick (Post 50982)
Yeah that **** is dumb. Who would ever fall for that?

Hopefully they are just waiting for Philly to lose this weekend so they can get Reich.

If Ballard wanted to interview Reich he would have done it last week when the Eagles had a bye.

VeveJones007 01-09-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 50992)
I'm mildly surprised that so few college coaches, not named Saban, Harbaugh and Shaw are getting any attention.

I'm talking about guys like James Franklin, Mike Leach, Matt Campbell and Chris Peterson.

The reason I say that, is that under the current CBA, the NFL is going to need to run more of the college concepts on offense. The systems and play calls are easier to learn, and most rookies and young players have already been trained in them.

They already are integrating more college concepts, particularly run-pass options; however, the rule differences like ineligible receivers downfield make it a harder conversion than to you would think on the surface.

VeveJones007 01-09-2018 11:32 PM

Per Kravitz:

“The Colts did not offer Matt Nagy, the Chicago Bears new coach, the Colts head coaching job. There was interest but no offer was made, per a source with knowledge of the process.“

But adds:

“Kap was right. The Colts were very interested in Nagy. He never said there was a job offer. Said they were “all in” on him, which is accurate.”

YDFL Commish 01-09-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 51000)
They already are integrating more college concepts, particularly run-pass options; however, the rule differences like ineligible receivers downfield make it a harder conversion than to you would think on the surface.

You are correct. But the dinosaurs like Fisher and Pagano are stuck in the past.
If the next HC comes in here and says we're going to run the ball and stop the run, I'm going to puke.

Look it's going to take a HC that embraces progressive concepts to get this team to a place where It say wants it to be.