ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Head Coaching Search (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31733)

1965southpaw 02-05-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 54563)
How does Florio have a job?

Because the standard for journalism for some no longer is about getting it right. It's all numbers of clicks and this kind of trolling, trashy article gets the clicks. JMV was saying he refuses to have florio on his show because in the past when florid has gotten other stories wrong his defense is always "well it's what I heard". Nowhere in this douchbag's thinking is "well I got it right".

Coltsalr 02-05-2018 08:21 PM

Looks like we’re getting the Patriots Special Teams Coach too:

@kirkmin
Source: McDaniels is going to Indy, bringing Joe Judge with him as special teams coach.

Last night notwithstanding, Patriots are always buttoned up on Special Teams, this is a good hire.

rcubed 02-06-2018 01:17 AM

It's a mass exodus out of new england

sherck 02-06-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 54582)
Looks like we’re getting the Patriots Special Teams Coach too:

@kirkmin
Source: McDaniels is going to Indy, bringing Joe Judge with him as special teams coach.

Last night notwithstanding, Patriots are always buttoned up on Special Teams, this is a good hire.

To me, this one is a bit of a head scratcher.

Both O and D Coordinators leaving for HC jobs? No brainer; I understand why that is happening. Promotions are always good.

But moving to a new team as ST coach as a lateral move? Okay, that happens too.

But from the 2 times in last 4 years world champions? Basically picking McDaniels over Bellicheat? Huh?

A Cheats fan co-worker made the comment last off season/draft time that it felt like Bellicheat was going "all in" on their personnel moves. Trading away draft picks that he never does, signing 1 year contracts which he does not do often, etc. Basically mortgaging the future for the sake of today.

I wonder if something bigger is brewing in Cheatsland than just coordinators moving on and business as usual?

Speculation on my part without any supporting facts other than one puzzling move, IMO.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007 02-06-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 54604)
To me, this one is a bit of a head scratcher.

Both O and D Coordinators leaving for HC jobs? No brainer; I understand why that is happening. Promotions are always good.

But moving to a new team as ST coach as a lateral move? Okay, that happens too.

But from the 2 times in last 4 years world champions? Basically picking McDaniels over Bellicheat? Huh?

A Cheats fan co-worker made the comment last off season/draft time that it felt like Bellicheat was going "all in" on their personnel moves. Trading away draft picks that he never does, signing 1 year contracts which he does not do often, etc. Basically mortgaging the future for the sake of today.

I wonder if something bigger is brewing in Cheatsland than just coordinators moving on and business as usual?

Speculation on my part without any supporting facts other than one puzzling move, IMO.

Walk Worthy,

We've heard that Brady won the power struggle. It's likely that coaches see the writing on the wall and are jumping ship while they are at their highest value.

smitty46953 02-06-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 54604)

Walk Worthy,

With that alone you could be a journalist in your next career ... :cool:

HoosierinFL 02-06-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 54578)
Because the standard for journalism for some no longer is about getting it right. It's all numbers of clicks and this kind of trolling, trashy article gets the clicks. JMV was saying he refuses to have florio on his show because in the past when florid has gotten other stories wrong his defense is always "well it's what I heard". Nowhere in this douchbag's thinking is "well I got it right".

and so now Florio is backtracking, says McDaniels to Indy after all - but is not admitting he was wrong, just insisting that "there was something going on but no one is sure exactly what". In other words, there was nothing going on and he made it all up.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...olts/#comments

1965southpaw 02-06-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 54619)
and so now Florio is backtracking, says McDaniels to Indy after all - but is not admitting he was wrong, just insisting that "there was something going on but no one is sure exactly what". In other words, there was nothing going on and he made it all up.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...olts/#comments

Florio doubles down on douchery.......SMDH. :confused::cool::eek:

Discflinger 02-06-2018 04:21 PM

Wooooofucknnnnnoooioo!

Discflinger 02-06-2018 04:22 PM

Strap in, boys. We are in for some Lombardis.

Discflinger 02-06-2018 04:25 PM

Yes, that demon clown is really me.

smitty46953 02-06-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 54620)
Florio doubles down on douchery.......SMDH. :confused::cool::eek:

Umm he may have known more than we thought ??? nah still a douche bag :cool:

VeveJones007 02-06-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 54509)
Ballard and McDaniels have the same agent. If McDaniels backs out and the agent gave Ballard no indication, someone’s getting fired.

That agent is fired unless he unloads McDaniels as a client.

rcubed 02-07-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 54850)
That agent is fired unless he unloads McDaniels as a client.

the agent didnt necessarily know

Indiana V2 02-07-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 54855)

But he still represents a POS.

IndyNorm 02-07-2018 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 54855)

Either way Ballard has to fire his ass for not tipping him off on this.

IndyNorm 02-07-2018 02:04 AM

Everyone's super high on Reich, but since Balt seems to be ready to cut John Harbaugh loose maybe we offer them a mid to late round draft pick for him. He won a SB (and maybe would have won 2 if his WR wouldn't have dropped the winning TD and his kicker missed a tying 20 yd FG in the AFCCG) and has always had his team competitive until recently where it seems like the Flacco contract had the organization handcuffed. Anyway, just a thought.

rcubed 02-07-2018 10:06 AM

so who are we looking at now?

reich
diflippio
toub
frazier

FatDT 02-07-2018 10:17 AM

If previous HC failures matters then why would we even consider Frazier? Wasn't he terrible in Minnesota?

smitty46953 02-07-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 50016)
Same guy that traded the 2010 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to Baltimore for the 1st rd 25th pick to grab Tim Tebow? Scares me a bit ... :cool:

I am glad he backed out :cool:

HoosierinFL 02-07-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 54908)
If previous HC failures matters then why would we even consider Frazier? Wasn't he terrible in Minnesota?

I think context matters, rather than just previous records. That's not to say I think Frazier is necessarily a good choice, but sometimes guys fail in their first gig and then go on to have success later.
In the end I think Frazier will be better off as a DC somewhere rather than HC.

smitty46953 02-07-2018 11:55 AM

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Colts are expected to put in an interview request for Eagles OC Frank Reich regarding their head-coaching vacancy.

:cool:

smitty46953 02-08-2018 10:47 AM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Colts have requested an interview with Bills DC Leslie Frazier.

Brylok 02-08-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 55144)
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Colts have requested an interview with Bills DC Leslie Frazier.

No thanks.

dwilli57 02-08-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Does this have to go back to the Rooney Rule?

omahacolt 02-08-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwilli57 (Post 55149)
Does this have to go back to the Rooney Rule?

No.

omahacolt 02-08-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

No thanks but I do like him as a coach. Our dbs improved a lot the couple years he was here

sherck 02-08-2018 01:52 PM

Frank Reich.....hmmm.....

1985 - 1998 = Career backup QB with 4 teams
2008 = IND = Offensive Assistant
2009 - 2010 = IND = QB Coach
2011 = IND = WR Coach
2012 = ARI = WR Coach
2013 = SD = QB Coach
2014 - 2015 = SD = OC
2016 - 2017 = PHI = OC

As the SD OC:

Year / Scoring / Total Yards / Passing Yards / YPCatch / Rushing Yards / YPCarry
2014 /...21.8../...341.6......./....256.1........./....7.5...../......85.4........./....3.4
2015 /...20.0../...371.8......./....286.9........./....7.3...../......84.9........./....3.5

1st go around as OC and he improved the passing yards per game from year 1 to year 2. Otherwise, he was pretty much static.

Quote on his firing from SD by a San Diego sport writer:
Quote:

Nick Canepa @sdutCanepa

This is Mike McCoy's offense. So they fire the O coordinator, Frank Reich, who did a lousy job of blocking and healing.
1/4/2016, 3:43:41 PM
Obviously, Canepa felt like there were other issues than Reich. Injuries do play a part of it (especially on the O-Line that year) but Reich did not improve the offense from year 1 to year 2 much and so he was shown the door.

As the PHI OC:

Year / Scoring / Total Yards / Passing Yards / YPCatch / Rushing Yards / YPCarry
2016 /...22.9../....337.4....../....224.1........./....6.2...../......113.3......./....4.1
2017 /...28.6../....365.8....../....233.6........./....7.0...../......132.2......./....4.5

Wow, major improvement across the board from year 1 to year 2 in the Philly offense. Sure, the team did go out and get a slew of offensive free agents in 2017 which, I am sure, contributed to the offensive output but someone had to game plan and design how to use those skills.

Plus, his game plans during the 2017 playoffs were impressive.

I liked the one article where Philly talked about going back and looking at the early game tape of the Cheats and seeing that the secondary had a hard time handling stacks and bunch formations. They designed 2 completely different game plans for the Super Bowl; 1 involving stacks and bunches to start the game and the second plan to move away from that in the 2nd half and to more movement based formations building off of looks they gave in the first half. They ended up not using the 2nd game plan because the 1st one never got adjusted to and continued to be effective all game. I love that mindset.

Anyway, we could do worse that an offensive minded HC who just showed a pretty nice (short) stint as an effective OC. Oh, and who, by all accounts, actually keeps his word.

Walk Worthy,

1965southpaw 02-08-2018 03:49 PM

I was listening to Big Joe this morning on The Fan talk about Frank Reich. The two of them played together on the Buffalo Bills in the early 90s. He couldn't speak more highly of his leadership skills in the locker room. He called him the kind of person people naturally connect to and want to follow. The example he used was a game that I don't remember but have since googled. It was against the Houston Oilers in 93 in the playoffs. It's the NFLs biggest come from behind victory and Reich was the quarterback that led it as Jim Kelley was injured. Big Joe spoke of his influence in the locker room and huddle and shared that many of his words and concepts became what the team rallied behind in their playoff pursuits (much like the eagles did in rallying behind Foles and believing the team was greater than one star). Anyway, it was good stuff and made me warm up to the notion of him leading the Colts. Also sounds like a great game and I plan to add it to my viewing list for this weekend. The link to the full game is said to be on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Colt Classic 02-08-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 55181)
I was listening to Big Joe this morning on The Fan talk about Frank Reich. The two of them played together on the Buffalo Bills in the early 90s. He couldn't speak more highly of his leadership skills in the locker room. He called him the kind of person people naturally connect to and want to follow. The example he used was a game that I don't remember but have since googled. It was against the Houston Oilers in 93 in the playoffs. It's the NFLs biggest come from behind victory and Reich was the quarterback that led it as Jim Kelley was injured. Big Joe spoke of his influence in the locker room and huddle and shared that many of his words and concepts became what the team rallied behind in their playoff pursuits (much like the eagles did in rallying behind Foles and believing the team was greater than one star). Anyway, it was good stuff and made me warm up to the notion of him leading the Colts. Also sounds like a great game and I plan to add it to my viewing list for this weekend. The link to the full game is said to be on YouTube if anyone is interested.

I remember turning that game on for a bit somewhere around the 35-3 mark and turned it off since I didn't care about either team. Reich also had a huge comeback victory in college too.

YDFL Commish 02-08-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 55182)
I remember turning that game on for a bit somewhere around the 35-3 mark and turned it off since I didn't care about either team. Reich also had a huge comeback victory in college too.

Yep. Where ironically, I believing he was subbing for Boomer Esiason.

Maniac 02-08-2018 06:44 PM

Why is Reich getting so much credit for the Philadelphia improvement offensively? Isn't Pederson the guy calling the plays?

1965southpaw 02-08-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 55206)
Why is Reich getting so much credit for the Philadelphia improvement offensively? Isn't Pederson the guy calling the plays?

I have the same question. We know for sure that Peterson is calling the plays; although it was just shared today that Foles actually called for the "philly surprise" play on 4th down and then Peterson agreed. I'm guessing though that Reich puts together the game plan (or at a minimum they collaborate). I just can't see how Peterson would have the time during the week to do that prep. I read that they actually had 2 complete offensive games plans ready and practiced for the Super Bowl and intended to pull out plan B once the Patriots defense started to adjust and stop plan A, except on that night the patriots D wasn't able to make those in game adjustments they were famous for so they never had to put plan B in. that is a level of preparation we have not seen here for some time.

VeveJones007 02-08-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 55206)

He wasn’t “the guy” in San Diego either. It’s definitely a concern. Could be nothing. Could be everything.

njcoltfan 02-09-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 55224)
I have the same question. We know for sure that Peterson is calling the plays; although it was just shared today that Foles actually called for the "philly surprise" play on 4th down and then Peterson agreed. I'm guessing though that Reich puts together the game plan (or at a minimum they collaborate). I just can't see how Peterson would have the time during the week to do that prep. I read that they actually had 2 complete offensive games plans ready and practiced for the Super Bowl and intended to pull out plan B once the Patriots defense started to adjust and stop plan A, except on that night the patriots D wasn't able to make those in game adjustments they were famous for so they never had to put plan B in. that is a level of preparation we have not seen here for some time.

Two game plans, damn, in the past six years it would have been nice to have at least one !!

Racehorse 02-09-2018 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 55248)
Two game plans, damn, in the past six years it would have been nice to have at least one !!

We had one, but it involved Griff Whalen snapping the ball.

FatDT 02-09-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 55248)

Our coaching staff consistently put together half a game plan, but if you add .5 + .5 = 1, we kinda had gameplans.

apballin 02-09-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

I hope this is the guy, put him with eberflus and get a good Off cood. and we're good to go

Oldcolt 02-10-2018 11:27 AM

After watching football for over 50 years my uneducated opinion is that hiring a football coach is a total crapshoot. Nobody has any fricking idea of who will or who will not be a good head coach. The last guy hired has just as good a shot at being the next great coach as the first guy hired in a cycle. So here is to hoping we hit the jackpot with whomever it is.

As a side note, I cannot believe how quiet Ballard keeps things.