ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Head Coaching Search (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31733)

VeveJones007 01-17-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 52276)
McDaniels was not my first choice either for this job. There are legitimate concerns about what he did in Denver and the BB coaching tree is short on success stories once they leave NE.

However, if nothing else, the offense should be better with a system based on 21st century NFL reality finally. He should at the very least find a way to maximize the potential of the WRs and RBs, plus allow Luck to get rid of the ball quicker and take fewer hits. His shoulder situation should be less of a concern with shorter, quicker routes.

Yep, there are reasons for optimism and concern. It’s a hell of a lot more intriguing than what we knew we had with Pagano.

Brylok 01-17-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

McDaniels was not my first choice either for this job. There are legitimate concerns about what he did in Denver and the BB coaching tree is short on success stories once they leave NE.

However, if nothing else, the offense should be better with a system based on 21st century NFL reality finally. He should at the very least find a way to maximize the potential of the WRs and RBs, plus allow Luck to get rid of the ball quicker and take fewer hits. His shoulder situation should be less of a concern with shorter, quicker routes.

We've been waiting on that for years. We weren't going to get it with Pagano and company.

apballin 01-17-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Agree, but I must say goddam I loved Andrew going off script and making shit happen

I'm looking forward to empty sets and fast pace I definitely feel like Luck will excel in that

DrSpaceman 01-18-2018 02:23 PM

Here is a wrinkle to throw in though it if happens :

Do you go after Mike Tomlin if he is fired by the Steelers?

Personally I think that would be a stupid move by Pitt. But the rumor mill is swirling of them being unhappy with him. Haley was fired already.

YDFL Commish 01-18-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 52478)

Personally I think that would be a stupid move by Pitt. But the rumor mill is swirling of them being unhappy with him. Haley was fired already.

If we are moving to a 4-3. I would consider him as my DC, but fuck no as a HC.

FatDT 01-18-2018 08:06 PM

No to younger, louder, dumber Tony Dungy.

Thorgrim 01-18-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Dude is a great underachiever. No thanks.

Coltsalr 01-18-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

He’d be a clear upgrade on Pagano, don’t get me wrong...

That said, normally after a team fires a coach, they like to overcorrect and bring in a guy that at least ostensibly offers the opportunity to shore up the previous coaches shortcomings.

The knocks on Tomlin that his teams are underprepared and underachieve are too similar to the knocks on Pagano.

That, and I think at this point if we left McDaniels at the altar it might be hard for the Colts to ever get a respected coach to trust them in the hiring process knowing that the Colts don’t negotiate in good faith.

YDFL Commish 01-18-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 52530)
He’d be a clear upgrade on Pagano, don’t get me wrong...

That said, normally after a team fires a coach, they like to overcorrect and bring in a guy that at least ostensibly offers the opportunity to shore up the previous coaches shortcomings.

The knocks on Tomlin that his teams are underprepared and underachieve are too similar to the knocks on Pagano.

That, and I think at this point if we left McDaniels at the altar it might be hard for the Colts to ever get a respected coach to trust them in the hiring process knowing that the Colts don’t negotiate in good faith.

Not to mention, there are terribly undisciplined on and off the field.

kitekrazy 01-18-2018 10:06 PM

Sad that in this decade of the NFL there just isn't quality coaching or candidates. Experienced ones were fired for a reason and they get fired again. There are probably more benefits to coaching at the college level. In some cases the pay is much higher. The players are also not above you.

Coltsalr 01-18-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 52534)

Yeah, exactly. He definitely gets his team worked up/amped for games, which works out for better and worse. His teams play with far more fire than Pagano’s milquetoast dreary flat teams, but that often leads to them having stupid penalties and gaffes and overlooking opponents due to cockiness. It’s also impossible to sustain that level of intensity, so they’ll have flat games at times (like the one where they played WAY down to the competition against the Colts this year) while also coming out like gangbusters against other teams that they’re hyped for...

I mean, again, i’d definitely take Tomlin over Pagano, but I agree with the prevailing thought that it wouldn’t be the correct direction for us to steer the ship overall.

Butter 01-18-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Too much inbreeding, the move to rehash failed coaches is ridiculous.

Racehorse 01-19-2018 10:56 AM

Here is a good article from RATS: https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...daystopstories

Oldcolt 01-19-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 52571)

While it is still a crapshoot, I like our odds with this guy better and better the more I read about him. This article and the fact that Ballard has been working on his relationship with him and Patriots all year (think Ballard didn't know he was going to fire Pagano all year?) is very encouraging. To have the front office and coaching staff on the same page will be amazing for us after the shit show we just live thru.

FatDT 01-19-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 52574)
While it is still a crapshoot, I like our odds with this guy better and better the more I read about him. This article and the fact that Ballard has been working on his relationship with him and Patriots all year (think Ballard didn't know he was going to fire Pagano all year?) is very encouraging. To have the front office and coaching staff on the same page will be amazing for us after the shit show we just live thru.

I'd guess the potential is here for the GM and HC to be even more in sync than the best of the Dungy/Polian days. Think about how much Polian ignored repeated, critical deficiencies on the defensive roster, year after year. All those years he needed his Sapp, or at least his Booger McFarland, and Polian couldn't or wouldn't deliver the key piece to make that defense work. Do you think that was done w/Dungy's blessing? Doubt it.

YDFL Commish 01-19-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 52541)
Too much inbreeding, the move to rehash failed coaches is ridiculous.

If he were available, I wouldn't pass on Wade Phillips as my DC. Would you? He's a failed coach.

FatDT 01-19-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 52610)
If he were available, I wouldn't pass on Wade Phillips as my DC. Would you? He's a failed coach.

Obviously as a DC anyone would take Phillips. But never again as a HC.

1965southpaw 01-19-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

They were talking about Tomlin on Grady and Big Joe today.....more to your claim that he's undisciplined....they were saying that Bell showed up to the last game against the Jags just 5 min before they were due on the field to warm up. Big Joe said that most teams have players arrive 2 hours before game time. Further it's been shared that Bell and others are routinely late for practices, etc without seeming consequence. We've had too much "players coach" for my taste. Time to have some real accountability so sign me up as a big hell no for Tomlin as well. That said, Squeelers aren't firing him.

Butter 01-19-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 52615)
Obviously as a DC anyone would take Phillips. But never again as a HC.

Exactly, plenty of really good coordinators are awful HCs

Racehorse 01-19-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 52642)
Exactly, plenty of really good coordinators are awful HCs

Pagano agrees,whether he knows it or not

apballin 01-20-2018 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 52627)
They were talking about Tomlin on Grady and Big Joe today.....more to your claim that he's undisciplined....they were saying that Bell showed up to the last game against the Jags just 5 min before they were due on the field to warm up. Big Joe said that most teams have players arrive 2 hours before game time. Further it's been shared that Bell and others are routinely late for practices, etc without seeming consequence. We've had too much "players coach" for my taste. Time to have some real accountability so sign me up as a big hell no for Tomlin as well. That said, Squeelers aren't firing him.

Don't see how any of this shit matters, they've still been successful every year playoffs every year did it affect Bell's play???

Favortism exists on every team I don't give a fuck

HoosierinFL 01-20-2018 10:28 AM

Just beating a dead horse (for those, i.e. Dam, who still think coaching doesn't matter and our roster has been the biggest problem), but great breakdown on the Eagles vs. Falcons game from Brett Kollman, pointing out how bad coaching can make a good roster underperform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj87...em-subs_digest

YDFL Commish 01-20-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 52657)
Don't see how any of this shit matters, they've still been successful every year playoffs every year did it affect Bell's play???

Favortism exists on every team I don't give a fuck

Are you that fucking stupid?

It may not be a detriment to Bell's play. But it sends a message to everyone else on the team, that they can let the details slide.

It is not the uber talented guys who need to work and practice their craft...it's the other 50 or so guys on the team.

Also from top to bottom...the Stillers are easily more talented than the Patriots. That's why they win a lot in the regular season. But what is holding them back in the post season is coaching, discipline and a laser focus.

apballin 01-20-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 52671)
Are you that fucking stupid?

It may not be a detriment to Bell's play. But it sends a message to everyone else on the team, that they can let the details slide.

It is not the uber talented guys who need to work and practice their craft...it's the other 50 or so guys on the team.

Also from top to bottom...the Stillers are easily more talented than the Patriots. That's why they win a lot in the regular season. But what is holding them back in the post season is coaching, discipline and a laser focus.

Bullshit, it tells the rest of the players what they already fucking know because they have witnessed the shit they're entire football lives. If your good you can do whatever the fuck you want.

I'd say last season Bell being injured in the playoffs held them back not your bullshit laser focus

So every year the Colts went 1 and done it was because of coaching? or lack of focus? not being talented? the favoritism toward Peyton sent the wrong message??

Fuck no, it's football shit happens and a lot of times the most talented teams do not win especially playoffs when it's 1 game

Racehorse 01-20-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 52682)
Bullshit, it tells the rest of the players what they already fucking know because they have witnessed the shit they're entire football lives. If your good you can do whatever the fuck you want.

I'd say last season Bell being injured in the playoffs held them back not your bullshit laser focus

So every year the Colts went 1 and done it was because of coaching? or lack of focus? not being talented? the favoritism toward Peyton sent the wrong message??

Fuck no, it's football shit happens and a lot of times the most talented teams do not win especially playoffs when it's 1 game

Gtfoh with that nonsense. You should be smarter than this if you are really a football fan.

YDFL Commish 01-20-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 52682)

No the Colts went 1 and done, because their defense could not get the job done in the playoffs. Letting Billy Volek drive the length of the field for the winning TD in '07, giving up 167 yds rushing to the Chargers in '08, letting Mark Sanchez drive the length of the field for the winning FG in '10, while giving up 164 rushing yds.

The '05 team did lose their focus, mainly due to the untimely death of Tony Dungy's son. Also a big contributor to the '07 loss was the fact that Freeney and Mathis did not play in that game, due to injuries.

But lets not let facts get in the way here.

Maniac 01-20-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 52643)
Pagano agrees,whether he knows it or not

We don't even know if Pagano was a good coordinator. He only did it for one year and had hall of fame players.

Maniac 01-20-2018 07:39 PM

Looks like the Titans hired Vrabel for their head coach.

3 out of the 4 AFC South coaches are going to be ex Pats coaches or players.

Butter 01-20-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 52689)
We don't even know if Pagano was a good coordinator. He only did it for one year and had hall of fame players.

Very good point.

Spike 01-20-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 52697)

Guys like Schefter, Mortenson, Josh Wilson and others have a ton of egg on their face today. They don't know shit and report like they do. Great sources you all have you fucking idiots. Mortenson is wrong more times than he is right.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/...ularkey-firing

rcubed 01-21-2018 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 52705)
Guys like Schefter, Mortenson, Josh Wilson and others have a ton of egg on their face today. They don't know shit and report like they do. Great sources you all have you fucking idiots. Mortenson is wrong more times than he is right.

But they got their clicks. That's all it's about.

Voosh 01-21-2018 02:21 AM

Quote:

Schefter is one of the few I trust and I think last week he was reporting the Titans were still in the running for his services. I read their message boards, and a lot of Titan's fans were butthurt about McD coming to Indy thinking Robinson could steal him away with his NE connections. They chose Vrabel though, and hopefully McD owns him for years to come.

Racehorse 01-21-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Yeah, whoever leaked it that we have a pending agreement with McDaniels did it to prevent the Tits from entering the game late and stealing him away.It was a smart move.

IndyNorm 01-21-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 52697)

Vrabel must be really good at interviewing since his coaching resume (at least at this point) is pretty lacking. Pretty similar to what Clappy's was actually.

1965southpaw 01-21-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 52716)
Yeah, whoever leaked it that we have a pending agreement with McDaniels did it to prevent the Tits from entering the game late and stealing him away.It was a smart move.

McD and Ballard have the same agent. Pretty easy to fire off a convenient leak if both parties are amenable. I'm betting that's the source.

Dewey 5 01-21-2018 12:45 PM

Sucks that we are going to have to wait until after the SB before Mcdaniels can get to work.

DrSpaceman 01-21-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 52721)
Vrabel must be really good at interviewing since his coaching resume (at least at this point) is pretty lacking. Pretty similar to what Clappy's was actually.

Yes very similar really, at least in terms of jobs before being a head coach

One year as DC on a very talent heavy defense and no head coaching experience.

VeveJones007 01-21-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey 5 (Post 52747)
Sucks that we are going to have to wait until after the SB before Mcdaniels can get to work.

He’s already assembling his staff. It doesn’t really matter.

FatDT 01-21-2018 10:14 PM

I was glad to see McDaniels was able to dial up the right plays to beat the Jags. Don't like watching the Pats win but we have to face that Jags defense twice a year and I wouldn't like it if McDaniels' offense just rolled over.

Coltsalr 01-21-2018 10:57 PM

@TomPelissero
#Colts wasting no time. They put in a request tonight to interview #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels a second time, source said. Can’t make hire official until season is over, but he’s their guy (as @RapSheet and I reported last week), so this is an opportunity for planning.