ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   NFL new Anthem policy (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43949)

Puck 05-23-2018 01:14 PM

NFL new Anthem policy

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/0...al-anthem.html

rcubed 05-23-2018 02:02 PM

I think its stupid that this is an issue.

at least they are giving the players the option to stay in the locker room so they wont be fined

Brylok 05-23-2018 02:11 PM

I'm a veteran and I've never understood why they have to play the anthem before every sporting event. International events? Fine. Game falls on a holiday? Fine. It's just always seemed unnecessary to me.

sherck 05-23-2018 02:15 PM

Seriously, the league needed to have left this one alone.

If players wanted to do so, they could stand or kneel, it is a free country.

If a HC had an issue with that, he could choose to play or not play a player.

If an owner or GM had an issue with that, he could choose to release or not release a player.

Let grown men make their own decisions.......but also let them reap the conquences of their own actions.

The part that I don't like is when Reid or Kappercorn whine on TV about it being "unfair" that no one will sign them. Sorry, you got to do your political protest but then you also get to reap the conquences of those actions and those conquences is that no one wants to employ you.

In the real world, you don't get to have it both ways.

But, mandating something like this? I think the NFL is dumb to do so. Just as stupid for not letting Peyton wear black hightops to honor Unitias or fining folks for wearing the wrong shade of pink on their shoes during TaTa Awareness Month.

Walk Worthy,

Chromeburn 05-23-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 68239)

Nothing more patriotic than forcing people to stand for your anthem.

albany ed 05-23-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 68250)
I'm a veteran and I've never understood why they have to play the anthem before every sporting event. International events? Fine. Game falls on a holiday? Fine. It's just always seemed unnecessary to me.

I'm a veteran too. When it plays, I proudly stand, hand over heart, but I agree, it's an unnecessary tradition. I remember going to the movie theatre on base and they played it before the movies, and you had to stand at attention. That one seemed unnecessary too. But, if you are going to play it, you have to respect the right of protest. It's the American way.

Butter 05-23-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 68250)

It is indoctrination. Same thing with the pledge of allegiance.

YDFL Commish 05-23-2018 06:25 PM

Why is the NFL the only sport having this issue?

omahacolt 05-23-2018 06:39 PM

The nfl is clueless

I hope no player comes out anymore. Easy solution is to play the anthem before the players come out. Everyone can sit down and then do some kind of special entry to get the crowd fired up

The nfl always finds ways to complicate shit

omahacolt 05-23-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 68287)

Good question

Chromeburn 05-23-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 68287)

I had a guy come over to fix something. I had football on and he saw it. Then he went on a rant about players being disrespectful, they should be thankful, no one kneels at his work, how dare they, he would never watch another NFL game, etc. I was kind of shocked, I didn't realize president Trump had come over to fix my toilet. I believe he represents a huge section of the NFL fanbase. That is why this is an issue. the rest don't care and don't pay any attention to it.

Butter 05-23-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 68296)
I had a guy come over to fix something. I had football on and he saw it. Then he went on a rant about players being disrespectful, they should be thankful, no one kneels at his work, how dare they, he would never watch another NFL game, etc. I didn't realize president Trump had come over to fix my toilet. I believe he represents a huge section of the NFL fanbase. That is why this is an issue. the rest don't care and don't pay any attention to it.

I understand why the NFL is averse to this, and honestly, I really don't have a problem with an employer wanting to avoid political shit in the product they are selling. How stupid a huge part of the country disturbs me greatly.

Chromeburn 05-23-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 68297)
I understand why the NFL is averse to this, and honestly, I really don't have a problem with an employer wanting to avoid political shit in the product they are selling. How stupid a huge part of the country disturbs me greatly.

Problem is they kind of started this. They have crafted a nationalistic image, all the flag waving, rah-rah hyperbole that goes on before a game is meant to do that, military flyovers, blasting patriotic rock songs. Even NFL films borrowed a bunch of techniques from Leni Riefenstahl. They sometimes resemble all the propaganda films from WW2. They have engineered this image on purpose over the years, then it backfired when some of the players decided they wanted to protest.

They are a corporation, they care about profit and maintaining an image that continues to support that profit. A bunch of billionaires don't want a bunch of new money millionaires to rock the boat.

testcase448 05-23-2018 08:22 PM

The problem is this
The NFL fan base is largely Patriotic and Proud of the US...
They see the utter disrespect shown the country by a pack of over paid left wing, lying sumbitches with no real cause
They have the right to kneel at home, not to protest at your place of work.

Owners have a right to not hire a cancer like copacock, an over privileged little punk.

Owners know this idiotic bullshit hurts their revenue and have the right to protect their investment.

The truly unpatriotic part is protesting the flag that lets the mental midgets the place to make millions. Half of which without the NFL and scholarships handed out like candy would be in prison

Want to really protest the US? Move the fuck out... head to Somalia.. Show your true protest with some real skin in the game.
Until you do that you're just a stupid fuck.
I don't blame people for switching them off. They kneel I'm gone this year too.

YDFL Commish 05-23-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 68297)

My analogy is this:

If you own a place of business, don't you have a right to discipline employees who are making your business less profitable?

Again, my original question; why aren't the NBA, MLB, NHL or NCAA having protests?

omahacolt 05-23-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 68304)
My analogy is this:

If you own a place of business, don't you have a right to discipline employees who are making your business less profitable?

Again, my original question; why aren't the NBA, MLB, NHL or NCAA having protests?

Are the other leagues out for the anthem? I think baseball dudes are but not sure

The nfl has a bunch of hillbilly racists that watch. They have a problem with the protesters more than the protest

Butter 05-23-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 68302)
Problem is they kind of started this. They have crafted a nationalistic image, all the flag waving, rah-rah hyperbole that goes on before a game is meant to do that, military flyovers, blasting patriotic rock songs. Even NFL films borrowed a bunch of techniques from Leni Riefenstahl. They sometimes resemble all the propaganda films from WW2. They have engineered this image on purpose over the years, then it backfired when some of the players decided they wanted to protest.

They are a corporation, they care about profit and maintaining an image that continues to support that profit. A bunch of billionaires don't want a bunch of new money millionaires to rock the boat.

You are not wrong, they screwed up when they took money from the Military for all the rah-rah flag waving bullshit.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nat...s/201511060140

rm1369 05-23-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 68309)
They have a problem with the protesters more than the protest

Yes, they have the audacity to be black and take a stand. A much to large part of the country has a problem with that. I find it ironic that those who cheer Trump for not being politically correct are the most butt hurt about the silent protests.

Leave it to the NFL to screw this up. They’ve gave in to Trump and I think it will embolden him even more. He doesnt give a damn what people do during the anthem. He wants to hurt the NFL. If he can play to his racist base at the same time even better. The NFL comes off bad in this and gives him a win. He’ll find another way to try to hurt them.

Brylok 05-23-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 68290)
I hope no player comes out anymore. Easy solution is to play the anthem before the players come out. Everyone can sit down and then do some kind of special entry to get the crowd fired up

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Every owner should have their team wait in the tunnel until the anthem is over and then go out. The whole thing would be squashed within the next season.

rcubed 05-24-2018 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testcase448 (Post 68303)
The problem is this
The NFL fan base is largely Patriotic and Proud of the US...
They see the utter disrespect shown the country by a pack of over paid left wing, lying sumbitches with no real cause
They have the right to kneel at home, not to protest at your place of work.

Owners have a right to not hire a cancer like copacock, an over privileged little punk.

Owners know this idiotic bullshit hurts their revenue and have the right to protect their investment.

The truly unpatriotic part is protesting the flag that lets the mental midgets the place to make millions. Half of which without the NFL and scholarships handed out like candy would be in prison

Want to really protest the US? Move the fuck out... head to Somalia.. Show your true protest with some real skin in the game.
Until you do that you're just a stupid fuck.

Fucktard.

Oldcolt 05-24-2018 04:52 AM

I guess I don’t understand patriotism. I thought that even though I disagree with you I’ll fight for your right to say it, if it’s done in a nonviolent way. This, to me, is not a patriotic move by the NFL. It is exactly the opposite of patriotism and furthermore is idiotic in that it brings MORE attention to those protesting. By the way they are not protesting our country but how they feel our country is not living up to it’s ideals. Agree or disagree it is a debate with having in my own opinion

albany ed 05-24-2018 05:54 AM

Quote:

They kneel I'm gone this year too.

Please, someone kneel.

omahacolt 05-24-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 68334)
I guess I don’t understand patriotism. I thought that even though I disagree with you I’ll fight for your right to say it, if it’s done in a nonviolent way. This, to me, is not a patriotic move by the NFL. It is exactly the opposite of patriotism and furthermore is idiotic in that it brings MORE attention to those protesting. By the way they are not protesting our country but how they feel our country is not living up to it’s ideals. Agree or disagree it is a debate with having in my own opinion

Good post

Forced patriotism isn’t patriotic and is not what this country was founded on.

Pez 05-24-2018 06:31 AM

Next year they they should make the fans stand up and put their phones away or revoke their seat privileges.

I stand (at home even). My opinion changed on this when I went to the Cleveland game last year. A daughter and dad were in front of me and the daughter was on her phone. Should I have talked to Dad about how he needed to teach his daughter the proper respect, no. Once you get there you come to the conclusion that how any individual chooses to respect the anthem is no ones business at all.

And the NFL didn't solve anything. They just moved the protest to the tunnel.

rm1369 05-24-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 68341)

And the NFL didn't solve anything. They just moved the protest to the tunnel.

Where there are no cameras. A protest that isn’t seen has little to no effect. Of course the media attention is such that it will be a story for the first few games, but it will die down quickly. Unless Trump decides to continue to use it to hurt the nfl I guess. Which is entirely possible.

testcase448 05-24-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 68328)
Fucktard.

That does some you up pretty much, as does imbecile.

testcase448 05-24-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 68337)
Please, someone kneel.

you first... unzips pants in front of you

testcase448 05-24-2018 07:10 AM

Simple solution...

Six game suspension for violating league rules first offense, season long second time. Permanent the third.

You can kneel all you like...

If you're truly committed to your cause, go for it.

testcase448 05-24-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 68334)

Do it at home... do it on the street.

They hurt the league and their lively hood.. nothing like a pack of over paid snowflakes whining about "unfairness" in the US.

Want to really show your commitment? Leave the US if it's "unfair"

Then I'd listen to your idiot views

rm1369 05-24-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testcase448 (Post 68350)

They hurt the league and their lively hood.. nothing like a pack of over paid snowflakes whining about "unfairness" in the US.

I love the snowflake reference from someone so fragile that seeing someone quietly kneel hurts their poor little feelings.

Oldcolt 05-24-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testcase448 (Post 68350)

This country is great because we not only allow ‘idiot’ views like mine to be heard, we have a system where change can occur without resorting to violence. Name calling, while allowed and protected, isn’t very effective in changing minds. Your idea that if I disagree with your point of view I should leave the country points to your lack of understanding about what this wonderful country is all about

Pez 05-24-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 68343)
Where there are no cameras. A protest that isn’t seen has little to no effect. Of course the media attention is such that it will be a story for the first few games, but it will die down quickly. Unless Trump decides to continue to use it to hurt the nfl I guess. Which is entirely possible.

I hope it dies.

When you start dissecting the "patriotism" of this, the league would not have done anything if there was not backlash from the public that cost them some revenue.

Anyone who thinks Godell is addressing this because of his own personal sense of patriotism is a fool. Godell is addressing this because he wants more money.

Whats worse... godell selling patriotism for money or a player exercising his 1st amendment rights?

Pez 05-24-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

You're so full of shit.... you're telling me you have watched players kneel every game for two years now, but if you see it one more time that's it?

Are you keeping an internal kneel count before you are fed up and had enough?

The fact that you still watch football after two years of this scandal, you arent exactly eating your own soup: "If you're truly committed to your cause, go for it."

VeveJones007 05-24-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 68302)

This is the perfect response to those saying the players don’t have the right to politicize this particular protest and the NFL can do whatever it wants. The NFL already politicized its product. You can’t just randomly turn off the faucet.

rm1369 05-24-2018 10:44 AM

Chris Long sums it up pretty well:

“This is fear of a diminished bottom line. It’s also fear of a president turning his base against a corporation. This ¡s not patriotism. Don’t get it confused. These owners don’t love America more than the players demonstrating and taking real action to improve it. It also lets you, the fan, know where our league stands. I will continue to be committed to affecting change with my platform. I’m someone who’s always looked at the anthem as a declaration of ideals, including the right to peaceful protest. Our league continues to fall short on this issue.”

testcase448 05-24-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 68354)
This country is great because we not only allow ‘idiot’ views like mine to be heard, we have a system where change can occur without resorting to violence. Name calling, while allowed and protected, isn’t very effective in changing minds. Your idea that if I disagree with your point of view I should leave the country points to your lack of understanding about what this wonderful country is all about

READING COMPREHENSION...

If you REALLY believe this country sucks, LEAVE for a better place.

Don't stay and cash a huge paycheck while protesting "unfairness". it makes you look stupid.

Life isn't fair to anyone, anywhere, anytime... stop whining while making millions playing a child's game

testcase448 05-24-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 68366)
Chris Long sums it up pretty well:

“This is fear of a diminished bottom line. It’s also fear of a president turning his base against a corporation. This ¡s not patriotism. Don’t get it confused. These owners don’t love America more than the players demonstrating and taking real action to improve it. It also lets you, the fan, know where our league stands. I will continue to be committed to affecting change with my platform. I’m someone who’s always looked at the anthem as a declaration of ideals, including the right to peaceful protest. Our league continues to fall short on this issue.”

Real action? LMAO

testcase448 05-24-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 68363)
You're so full of shit.... you're telling me you have watched players kneel every game for two years now, but if you see it one more time that's it?

Are you keeping an internal kneel count before you are fed up and had enough?

The fact that you still watch football after two years of this scandal, you arent exactly eating your own soup: "If you're truly committed to your cause, go for it."

I watched about ten minutes in the last two years

Fix it, cut the political bullshit I'll watch this year..

testcase448 05-24-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 68362)
I hope it dies.

player exercising his 1st amendment rights?

1st amendment has nothing to do with employer rules

Nothing

none

zilch

rm1369 05-24-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testcase448 (Post 68368)
READING COMPREHENSION...

If you REALLY believe this country sucks, LEAVE for a better place.

Don't stay and cash a huge paycheck while protesting "unfairness". it makes you look stupid

Life isn't fair to anyone, anywhere, anytime... stop whining while making millions playing a child's game

Right, instead whine over the internet about what someone does quietly during a song. That makes you look intelligent.

It’s safe to say you know absolutely nothing about what this country is supposed to stand for. The land of the free? As long as you or Trump approve I guess.

Let me ask Testcase - have you served?