ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Edge misses out on the Hall of Fame again (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66897)

DrSpaceman 02-03-2019 02:45 PM

Edge misses out on the Hall of Fame again

Edge not in yet.

Still think he will make it one day

IN the upcoming years Reggie and manning become eligible, so might have two colts in one year.

E.M.H. 02-03-2019 02:57 PM

He has got to make it. If less accomplished running backs are already in, it's an injustice that he's not.

I think the voters will see the light eventually. I'm just frustrated that it's not somehow a slam-dunk decision. I don't see how it can't be.

Colt Classic 02-03-2019 03:11 PM

Probably enough East coast voters who only remember him in the playoffs against their beloved Patriots.

Colts And Orioles 02-03-2019 03:13 PM

o

Chris Hanburger went to 9 Pro Bowls in a 14-season career between 1965 and 1978 ........ that was a record for players NOT in the Hall of Fame, yet he was snubbed each and every year that he was eligible between 1984 and 1998.

He was finally inducted into the Hall in 2011, after he was nominated as a Senior candidate (football's version of the Veteran's Committee.)

If the voters at-large can have their heads up their asses for so long about Hanburger, nothing surprises me about whom they decide does and does not get in.

o

smitty46953 02-03-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 108910)
o

Chris Hanburger went to 9 Pro Bowls in a 14-season career between 1965 and 1978 ........ that was a record for players NOT in the Hall of Fame, yet he was snubbed each and every year that he was eligible between 1984 and 1998.

He was finally inducted into the Hall in 2011, after he was nominated as a Senior candidate (football's version of the Veteran's Committee.)

If the voters at-large can have their heads up their asses for so long about Hanburger, nothing surprises me about whom they decide does and does not get in.

o

What no color? Someone take your Crayons ? :cool:

omahacolt 02-03-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 108911)
What no color? Someone take your Crayons ? :cool:

Please don’t encourage him. His posts are bad enough.

Colts And Orioles 02-03-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 108911)

What, no color? Someone take your Crayons ??? :cool:

o

Actually, I use colored pencils.

o

Dam8610 02-03-2019 09:27 PM

Ty Law getting in over James is a disgrace to Canton.

dwilli57 02-05-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 108910)
o

o

Different voters but just as idiotic as Leonard not making the Pro Bowl.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

TheMugwump 02-05-2019 07:15 PM

I don't think either Edge or Reggie get in.

In fact, I'm not sure either deserve it.

Convince me I'm wrong.

Luck4Reich 02-05-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMugwump (Post 109196)

Convince me I'm wrong.

For James...
Of the top 16 players on the NFL’s all-time rushing list, James is the only one not in the Hall of Fame or still playing. Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson still are active.

James, 40, is one of only four players in NFL history with four seasons of 1,500 rushing yards. The others are Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton.

Edge was considered the best at his position 2-3 years of his career.. many players in the Hall that got in due to longevity yet never considered best at their position.

He put up big numbers in a pass first offense. Pre injury Edge was the best in the league.

Edge belongs in the HOF!

Luck4Reich 02-05-2019 08:45 PM

Tougher argument for Reggie but,

Reggie Wayne has 1,070 receptions, 10th all-time, and all five eligible players ahead of him already are in.

Wayne's 14,345 yards are 10th all-time and, again, the news is good when looking at the company he keeps. Five of the six eligible players ahead of him are enshrined, with the only exception being Isaac Bruce.

Also consider Wayne put up these numbers while spending many years on a team loaded with receivers. Harrison, Stokely, Clark, James just to name a few.. imagine Wayne's numbers if he were a part of fewer options over his career. He put up HOF like numbers anyway.

I believe he belongs..... but I wear the glasses and drink the cool aid.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 02-05-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck (Post 109204)
For James...
Of the top 16 players on the NFL’s all-time rushing list, James is the only one not in the Hall of Fame or still playing. Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson still are active.

James, 40, is one of only four players in NFL history with four seasons of 1,500 rushing yards. The others are Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton.

Edge was considered the best at his position 2-3 years of his career.. many players in the Hall that got in due to longevity yet never considered best at their position.

He put up big numbers in a pass first offense. Pre injury Edge was the best in the league.

Edge belongs in the HOF!

Excellent summary. The only other item I would add is that Edge was not only deemed the best at his position for 2-3 years, but was named the #2 RB from 2000-2009. Both Edge and LaDainian Tomlinson were named as First Team members of the 2000's All DECADE Team (this team didn't name who was #1 or #2 on the first team, but I think LT is clearly #1). Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis were named to the Second Team (#3 and #4).

The All Decade Teams are selected by the Hall of Fame selection committee. Considering they already gave Edge this honor, I think the Hall will come calling at some point.

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/...2000s-offense/

Butter 02-05-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Convince me I'm wrong.

It is not my job to convince fools of the truth.

omahacolt 02-06-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Convince me I'm wrong.

Why would we care if you are a dumbass?

ChileColts 02-06-2019 02:26 PM

just to remember what kind of back was Edge !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijPet6-JZQg

DrSpaceman 02-06-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Convince me I'm wrong.

Every RB is in the HOF so far that is retired and has over 12000 rushing yards. Edge is no worse that any of those already in and at his peak was better than many of them.

Edge was also a great all around back, catching, blocking, running. early in Manning's career Edge running the stretch play with Manning having the option, still being mobile, to go play action out of that was one of the primary things that made the Colts offense so hard to stop.

As mentioned, on the all decade team.

People tend to forget he actually did make a SB, just not with the Colts. On the Cardinals. At the tail end of his career, actually put up decent, though not great, rushing numbers in that playoff run

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../gamelog/post/

DrSpaceman 02-06-2019 02:41 PM

Wayne is a harder argument to make mostly because there are many Wrs with similar numbers and who will be competing with him.

Its actually the opposite of with Edge. The way the game is now, its unlikely many RBs under 30 anytime soon will approach 12000 rushing yards are as many as Edge has. Here is the career active rushing leaders right now :

After Adrian Peterson and Frank Gore, who I think we would all agree are :
HOFers as well and
Near the end of their careers.

It drops WAY off. Outside of McCoy in the next few years (he is 30, needs 1500 yards more) and then a good 5+ years off maybe Leveon Bell, if he finds a new team, and Todd Gurley, in another 6 years maybe, the likelihood any of these guys get to 12000 yards is low. Bell and Gurley are not even halfway to 12000

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...yds_active.htm