ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Northwestern gets Their First-Ever NCAA Tournament Bid (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3586)

Colts And Orioles 03-12-2017 07:04 PM

Northwestern gets Their First-Ever NCAA Tournament Bid

o

1) Prior to the 1974-75 season, only one team from each conference received a bid to the NCAA Tournament, and that was the conference tournament champion.

That led to situations such as 1970, when South Carolina was the #3 team in the nation, but did not get to go to the tournament because they lost to North Carolina State in the ACC tournament.

Also, in 1974, Maryland and North Carolina State were both Top-5 teams in the country, but only David Thompson's Wolfpack went to that season's tournament, because they defeated Len Elmore's Terrapins in the ACC Championship game in overtime, 103-100.

The next season, the NCAA decided to change its rulesand allow at-large bids to teams that play in conferences (in addition to Independent teams, who were the only ones who previously could receive them.)

2) Prior to the 1997-98 season, the Big Ten Conference did not hold a conference tournament ...... hence, the regular-season champion got the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. This made it harder for bubble teams to either add important wins and/or get an automatic bid outright by winning a conference tournament.

Even taking these 2 major factors into consideration, it still is pretty amazing that Northwestern is only now, at long last, finally making their first-ever trip to the Big Dance.

The Wildcats did win the national championship in 1931 with a record of 16-1, 8 years prior to the berth of the NCAA Tournament.

They also won the Big Ten championship in 1933, 6 years prior to the berth of the NCAA Tournament.

o

omahacolt 03-12-2017 08:00 PM

just as i imagined

nobody gives a shit

smitty46953 03-12-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 6229)
just as i imagined

nobody gives a shit

You are so wrong, somewhere Mike "Greeny" Greenberg is ecstatic. Tune in to Mike & Mike tomorrow for validation ... :cool:

Colts And Orioles 03-12-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 6229)

just as i imagined

nobody gives a shit

o

And as always, you come along to comment on it.

You've made an awful lot of posts in Colt Freaks threads over the years about things that you allegedly don't care about.

Strange, because I rarely (if ever) bother commenting and/or posting and/or spending time about things that I don't care about. I don't care about the real estate market in Boise Idaho, but I'm not posting in the Idaho Statesman, telling others that I don't care about it.

o

smitty46953 03-13-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 6237)
o

And as always, you come along to comment on it.

You've made an awful lot of posts in Colt Freaks threads over the years about things that you allegedly don't care about.

Strange, because I rarely (if ever) bother commenting and/or posting and/or spending time about things that I don't care about. I don't care about the real estate market in Boise Idaho, but I'm not posting in the Idaho Statesman, telling others that I don't care about it.

o

Kick his ass C&O !!! :cool: