ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tom Crean Fired @ IU (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3927)

smitty46953 03-16-2017 12:18 PM

Tom Crean Fired @ IU

Zach Osterman‏Verified account
@ZachOsterman

BREAKING: Tom Crean is out after nine years at Indiana. #iubb

:cool:

smitty46953 03-16-2017 12:27 PM

Indiana has fired basketball coach Tom Crean.
After nine years of up and down results, IU made the decision to dismiss the nine-year head coach.
Indiana went 166-135 in Crean’s nine years, which started with a massive rebuild following sanctions and other issues from the Kelvin Sampson days.
Crean won Big Ten titles in 2013 and 2016 and reached the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament three times.
Inconsistency was among the key issues for Crean’s tenure at Indiana.
The past five years, IU won the league twice but finished 23-31 the other three.
IU also missed the NCAA Tournament completely in 2014 and 2017.
Indiana was 18-16 this season, losing on the road at Georgia Tech after passing on the chance to host that game at Assembly Hall due to
Crean, who turns 51 on March 25, was 166-135 in nine years at Indiana. He is 356-231 in 18 years overall as a head coach, the first nine at Marquette.

http://www.scout.com/college/indiana...ires-tom-crean

smitty46953 03-16-2017 12:46 PM

Indiana owes Tom Crean $4 million. That's a lot of money to pay a coach to leave that won two Big Ten titles in five years.

I guarantee you the decision on a new coach has already been made. I have a very inside source who said ... "I think we are getting someone spectacular. It needed to happen. �� I can't mention names yet -- Or I could get fired! LOL"

Racehorse 03-16-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 6908)
Indiana owes Tom Crean $4 million. That's a lot of money to pay a coach to leave that won two Big Ten titles in five years.

I guarantee you the decision on a new coach has already been made. I have a very inside source who said ... "I think we are getting someone spectacular. It needed to happen. �� I can't mention names yet -- Or I could get fired! LOL"

Alford

Colts2006 03-16-2017 01:50 PM

Alford has definitely raised his coaching stock with UCLA's success.

Donovan is supposedly interested....won two national titles with Florida.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stevens from the Celtics come home to coach the Hoosiers.

smitty46953 03-16-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts2006 (Post 6930)
Alford has definitely raised his coaching stock with UCLA's success.

Donovan is supposedly interested....won two national titles with Florida.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stevens from the Celtics come home to coach the Hoosiers.

Stevens said he wasn't interested in returning to college, hope he was just posturing... I kinda think Alford or maybe Fife ??? :cool:

Colts2006 03-16-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 6932)
Stevens said he wasn't interested in returning to college, hope he was just posturing... I kinda think Alford or maybe Fife ??? :cool:

I had really hoped Stevens would tire of the pros...but if he isn't interested.

I really haven't heard much about Fife since he graduated from IU. Where is he coaching at?

The current coach of Butler is Holtmann? Maybe he could be swayed to come over.

If it is a spectacular coaching hire then it sounds like Alford type news.

smitty46953 03-16-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts2006 (Post 6934)
I had really hoped Stevens would tire of the pros...but if he isn't interested.

I really haven't heard much about Fife since he graduated from IU. Where is he coaching at?

He is an assistant coach at Michigan State under head coach Tom Izzo. :cool:

Puck 03-16-2017 05:49 PM

They must have someone because they could have saved some cash by waiting

Darren Rovell‏ @darrenrovell

Tom Crean buyout is $4 million. Would have been $1 million on July 1.

GoBigBlue88 03-16-2017 06:32 PM

I defended him in past years, but it became inevitable this year. Good guy and deserves a ton of credit for how he lifted IU out of the ashes. But his system stubbornness and his continual minimization of NBA-caliber big talent did him in.

I just hope IU doesn't hire someone because they're an IU alum or something. That would be dumb.