ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Oh, this is sad….. (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55960)

sherck 10-17-2018 07:56 AM

Oh, this is sad…..

So, based on how poorly our WRs have been playing, I went ahead and looked at free agent WRs for 2019. Based on their current number of catches in 2018, those who are under 29 years of age are:

28 receptions / Chester Rogers / IND / 25 years old (Restricted Free Agent)
26 receptions / Ryan Grant / IND / 28 years old
23 receptions / Devin Funchess / CAR / 25 years old
22 receptions / Quincy Enunwa / NYJ / 27 years old
19 receptions / Phillip Dorsett / NE / 26 years old
19 receptions / Geronimo Allison / GB / 25 years old (Restricted Free Agent)
18 receptions / Donte Moncrief / JAX / 26 years old
16 receptions / Adam Humphries / TB / 26 years old
16 receptions / Tyrell Williams / LAC / 27 years old
16 receptions / Rashad Higgins / CLE / 24 years old (Restricted Free Agent)
14 receptions / Martavis Bryant / OAK / 27 years old
14 receptions / Robby Anderson / NYJ / 26 years old (Restricted Free Agent)
14 receptions / Zach Pascal / IND / 24 years old (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)

Of the top 13 productive WR free agents, 3 are current Colts (whom we are already down on) and two are ex-Colts whom we are down on (Dorsett and Moncrief). Of the remaining 8, three are Restricted Free Agents and will possibly cost a draft pick in order to sign.

Obviously, a long time before the end of the season and lots of things can change but of the potential choices, I think Funchess, Allison, Humphries and Bryant are the most interesting.

However, don’t expect Ballard to be able to sign a stud or two at WR and “fix” our WR issues. Expect our WR corps to be Hilton and then a whole bunch of “who dats” next year as well.

Earn the #3 overall pick, trade down again for more 2nd round picks for a total of 4 and then of our top five picks (1st and 2nd round), make at least one if not two of them WR. We have GOT to have better WR play and if we can't sign them, we need to grow them.

Walk Worthy,

YDFL Commish 10-17-2018 09:15 AM

Yep, looks like we'll be praying that Deon Cain becomes a breakout player next season.

Brylok 10-17-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 86618)
Yep, looks like we'll be praying that Deon Cain becomes a breakout player next season.

and Fountain

Oldcolt 10-17-2018 11:15 AM

Not so much sad as the way it always is. I cannot think of the last impact receiver who made it to free agency in his prime. This almost has to be done thru the draft or thru a trade.

GoBigBlue88 10-17-2018 11:24 AM

And watch this for fun!

https://twitter.com/WerColtsPodcast/...33087004884993

If you're Dam, you'll interpret that to: Luck is the problem.

Coltsalr 10-17-2018 11:38 AM

So, how about a first round WR?

*ducks*

sherck 10-17-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 86649)
So, how about a first round WR?

*ducks*

If we get a Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison? Sure.

If we get an Anthony Gonzalez or Phillip Dorsett? No thanks.

And that is the rub of 1st round speciality positions. Doing your homework is important when you use that high of draft capital on a boom or bust position.

I probably still lean towards O-Line or D-Front Seven for almost every first round pick from here until time runs out.

I just think more football games are won by teams with the ability to protect their passer/open holes and those that can control the run and pressure opposing QBs. You need to ocassionally pick a franchise QB and ocassionally get incredible value at CB or Safety or WR or RB but otherwise? Build the lines.

In 2019 if Ballard's top rated person left when we pick is a WR? I would be a-okay with it.

My guess is that when the season ends and we look at our weakest position groups, it will be WR and CB. Strengthening either to NFL average/NFL good will help the team greatly.

Walk Worthy,

DrSpaceman 10-17-2018 11:53 AM

I wouldn't mind Martavis Bryant as a FA

Only one I would consider. All others are a hard pass

And no, don't draft a WR at the top. You can find productive WRs throughout the draft.

rcubed 10-17-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 86646)
And watch this for fun!

https://twitter.com/WerColtsPodcast/...33087004884993

If you're Dam, you'll interpret that to: Luck is the problem.

depressing.

Dewey 5 10-17-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 86616)
So, based on how poorly our WRs have been playing, I went ahead and looked at free agent WRs for 2019. Based on their current number of catches in 2018, those who are under 29 years of age are:

28 receptions / Chester Rogers / IND / 25 years old (Restricted Free Agent)
26 receptions / Ryan Grant / IND / 28 years old
23 receptions / Devin Funchess / CAR / 25 years old
22 receptions / Quincy Enunwa / NYJ / 27 years old
19 receptions / Phillip Dorsett / NE / 26 years old
19 receptions / Geronimo Allison / GB / 25 years old (Restricted Free Agent)
18 receptions / Donte Moncrief / JAX / 26 years old
16 receptions / Adam Humphries / TB / 26 years old
16 receptions / Tyrell Williams / LAC / 27 years old
16 receptions / Rashad Higgins / CLE / 24 years old (Restricted Free Agent)
14 receptions / Martavis Bryant / OAK / 27 years old
14 receptions / Robby Anderson / NYJ / 26 years old (Restricted Free Agent)
14 receptions / Zach Pascal / IND / 24 years old (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)

Of the top 13 productive WR free agents, 3 are current Colts (whom we are already down on) and two are ex-Colts whom we are down on (Dorsett and Moncrief). Of the remaining 8, three are Restricted Free Agents and will possibly cost a draft pick in order to sign.

Obviously, a long time before the end of the season and lots of things can change but of the potential choices, I think Funchess, Allison, Humphries and Bryant are the most interesting.

However, don’t expect Ballard to be able to sign a stud or two at WR and “fix” our WR issues. Expect our WR corps to be Hilton and then a whole bunch of “who dats” next year as well.

Earn the #3 overall pick, trade down again for more 2nd round picks for a total of 4 and then of our top five picks (1st and 2nd round), make at least one if not two of them WR. We have GOT to have better WR play and if we can't sign them, we need to grow them.

Walk Worthy,

If we are drafting in the top 3 & don't take Bosa or Oliver I will not be pleased.