ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Head Coaching Search (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31733)

VeveJones007 01-02-2018 06:39 PM

Head Coaching Search

Thought it might be worth its own thread now that Pagano is officially out.

Quote:

Tom Pelissero
‏Verified account
@TomPelissero
The #Colts have requested an interview with #Seahawks DC Kris Richard for their head coaching job, sources say. So add him to names @RapSheet and @MikeGarafolo said earlier: Josh McDaniels, Matt Nagy, Steve Wilks, Mike Vrabel. #Bills interviewed Richard last year.
Quote:

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account
@RapSheet
Jan 1
Three candidates the #Colts are expected to interview: #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, #Chiefs OC Matt Nagy, #Chiefs ST coach Dave Toub. There will be others, of course.

VeveJones007 01-02-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Michael Giardi
‏Verified account
@MikeGiardi
Can confirm Josh McDaniels will interview with the Colts Thursday. Said to be very intrigued by opening.
McDaniels will interview on Thursday with Indy before interviewing with the Bears and Giants on Friday.

Quote:

Michael Giardi
Verified account
@MikeGiardi
Source tells me Josh McDaniels will do the double dip on Friday, interviewing with both the Bears and Giants. Colts is Thurs

HoosierinFL 01-02-2018 09:27 PM

Kris richard is a rooney rule candidate

VeveJones007 01-03-2018 03:36 PM

Nagy confirmed he is going to interview with the Colts, but it can't happen until the Chiefs are eliminated or the week after the AFCCG.

VeveJones007 01-03-2018 03:37 PM

I find it interesting that we haven't seen much confirmed around Toub at this point, but that's probably just because Ballard is already so familiar with Toub that he doesn't need to do a ton a background.

GoBigBlue88 01-03-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 49945)
I find it interesting that we haven't seen much confirmed around Toub at this point, but that's probably just because Ballard is already so familiar with Toub that he doesn't need to do a ton a background.

Chiefs are playing this weekend. That hasn't stopped the Nagy report, but it's an obstacle to interviewing, so naturally you're going to hear more about the Richards, Wilks, McDaniels of the coaching carousel before you hear about teams that play wildcard weekend.

Coltsalr 01-03-2018 10:10 PM

@JasonLaCanfora
The Colts are interviewing Josh McDaniels tonight. He is a very, very strong candidate there. Pairing him with Luck could be potent

apballin 01-03-2018 10:53 PM

I'd rather have Mcdaniels out of the assistants listed

But the thought of a pats assistant as our coach makes me wanna fuckin puke

Coltsalr 01-03-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 50014)
I'd rather have Mcdaniels out of the assistants listed

But the thought of a pats assistant as our coach makes me wanna fuckin puke

Just think of it as weakening the opposition while also strengthening your own team.

smitty46953 01-03-2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50009)
@JasonLaCanfora
The Colts are interviewing Josh McDaniels tonight. He is a very, very strong candidate there. Pairing him with Luck could be potent

Same guy that traded the 2010 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to Baltimore for the 1st rd 25th pick to grab Tim Tebow? Scares me a bit ... :cool:

DrSpaceman 01-04-2018 12:37 AM

If he truly wants power over personnel decisions, the answer is, and I am sure Ballard will tell him, no

I don't hate the idea of McDaniels. At least the offense would be good. Just wouldn't be my first choice.

Coltsalr 01-04-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 50016)
Same guy that traded the 2010 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to Baltimore for the 1st rd 25th pick to grab Tim Tebow? Scares me a bit ... :cool:

Certainly, he very hopefully won't have the power to do such things if he comes here.

Also, he appears to have learned a lot from his mistakes.

Coltsalr 01-04-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 50021)
If he truly wants power over personnel decisions, the answer is, and I am sure Ballard will tell him, no

I don't hate the idea of McDaniels. At least the offense would be good. Just wouldn't be my first choice.

Harbaugh or Saban would be my first choice, but I'm pretty sure we would've heard some rumblings on either if that were the case.

Short of that, I'd go McDaniels. As you said, the offense would be good and there's a high correlation rate right now between QB development (and in turn team success) and HC's that are offensive-minded:

Sean McVay comes to the Rams and they're suddenly one of the best teams in football and Jared Goff has a meteoric development, Doug Pederson has the Eagles thriving until Wentz died, Jason Garrett/Dak Prescott, Jay Gruden/Kirk Cousins, Kyle Shanahan/Jimmy Garappolo, Doug Marrone/Bortles, and Adam Gase had gotten Ryan Tannehill to being a postseason QB before he died.

Gimme an offensive-minded HC.

Maniac 01-04-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50055)

How do you know if he learned anything or not?

Maniac 01-04-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50056)
Harbaugh or Saban would be my first choice, but I'm pretty sure we would've heard some rumblings on either if that were the case.

Short of that, I'd go McDaniels. As you said, the offense would be good and there's a high correlation rate right now between QB development (and in turn team success) and HC's that are offensive-minded:

Sean McVay comes to the Rams and they're suddenly one of the best teams in football and Jared Goff has a meteoric development, Doug Pederson has the Eagles thriving until Wentz died, Jason Garrett/Dak Prescott, Jay Gruden/Kirk Cousins, Kyle Shanahan/Jimmy Garappolo, Doug Marrone/Bortles, and Adam Gase had gotten Ryan Tannehill to being a postseason QB before he died.

Gimme an offensive-minded HC.

There is nothing wrong with a defensive minded head coach. The important thing is who they hire to run the offense and that they don't limit the coordinator with their own flawed philosophy like Pagano did.

Just the same as the offensive minded head coach must make a good decision on the defensive coordinator or you're screwed on that side of the ball.

It's the same either way, they just have to make smart hires

Coltsalr 01-04-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50060)
How do you know if he learned anything or not?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...pick-his-spots

Good read.

Maniac 01-04-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50062)

Good for him if that's true. Hopefully not just PR.

Dam8610 01-04-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50015)
Just think of it as weakening the opposition while also strengthening your own team.

Or more accurately, weakening your own team while not affecting the opposition.

Dam8610 01-04-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50055)
Certainly, he very hopefully won't have the power to do such things if he comes here.

Is that why he's said to want GM level input? Because he learned from the last time he had GM level input that that was a bad idea?

Coltsalr 01-04-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 50068)
Or more accurately, weakening your own team while not affecting the opposition.

You might be thinking of what it was when the Colts lured Pagano away from the Ravens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 50069)
Is that why he's said to want GM level input? Because he learned from the last time he had GM level input that that was a bad idea?

There's always some input from the HC. It's a matter of whether he's demanding to be full Czar of the organization. If that's the case, then I'd imagine Ballard would either refuse to hire him or would walk away in disgust if Irsay made it so.

FatDT 01-04-2018 11:16 AM

I haven't seen any evidence other than fan talk that McDaniels is demanding roster control. If that is what he wants he won't get it here and I'd have a hard time believing he'd get it anywhere else. He needs to prove himself as a HC.

Pez 01-04-2018 11:47 AM

There is not a lot of traction behind Matt Patricia... I'm not sure he is looking to leave NE.

I still like Brian Schottenheimer for our OC, it will provide some level of continuity for Luck and Brissett. Then a candidate like Matt Patricia would make sense as an HC.

rcubed 01-04-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50064)
Good for him if that's true. Hopefully not just PR.

if he is looking for GM level control of the roster, then he clearly didnt learn from one of his major mistakes.

omahacolt 01-04-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 50078)
There is not a lot of traction behind Matt Patricia... I'm not sure he is looking to leave NE.

I still like Brian Schottenheimer for our OC, it will provide some level of continuity for Luck and Brissett. Then a candidate like Matt Patricia would make sense as an HC.

What part of this offense would you like to keep?

YDFL Commish 01-05-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 50078)

Why with Schotty? Really, what has he ever done? I didn't see Brissett get significantly better throughout the season.

No thanks.

Maniac 01-05-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 50175)
What part of this offense would you like to keep?

Just the snapping the football part.

Racehorse 01-05-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50203)
Just the snapping the football part.

as long as it does not include Griff Whalen

DrSpaceman 01-05-2018 11:31 AM

The thing about Patricia in NE is, their defense really is not that good.

Yes, in points per game they are among the tops, but I really don't know how they do it, if you look at their individual stats, which are not that impressive.

They get a fair number of sacks, which helps, they are like 7th in that stat

In yardage they are near the bottom

In defensive passer rating they are middle of the pack, actually worse than the colts

Their yards per play if 5.7, again near the bottom and not much different than the Colts.

They were not great at creating turnovers.

They give up 4.7 yards per rush

They seem to benefit from good red zone D, which is great, maybe a bend but don't break mentality, and maybe just luck........opponents somehow only his 22/31 FGs against them, which seems oddly low in this day and age. I know they play in an outdoor stadium, but still, that does not affect the whole season. They were among the top ten in TDs allowed at 33.
Plus they benefit from the offense not turning the ball over much, so fewer short fields and bad situations.

If you just stripped away though Points per game stat and looked at the rest, one would not judge them to be among the best in the league.

I know PPG is really all that matters in the end, but when you are talking about moving to a new team in a new situation, the other stuff does start to matter.

Football outsiders, I know some don't like it, but have them ranked as the #31 defense this year.

DrSpaceman 01-05-2018 11:34 AM

3rd down percentage on D as well for the pats, another important stat, again were low middle rating. 39%, 20th in the league.

Racehorse 01-05-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 50222)
The thing about Patricia in NE is, their defense really is not that good.

Yes, in points per game they are among the tops, but I really don't know how they do it, if you look at their individual stats, which are not that impressive.

They get a fair number of sacks, which helps, they are like 7th in that stat

In yardage they are near the bottom

In defensive passer rating they are middle of the pack, actually worse than the colts

Their yards per play if 5.7, again near the bottom and not much different than the Colts.

They were not great at creating turnovers.

They give up 4.7 yards per rush

They seem to benefit from good red zone D, which is great, maybe a bend but don't break mentality, and maybe just luck........opponents somehow only his 22/31 FGs against them, which seems oddly low in this day and age. I know they play in an outdoor stadium, but still, that does not affect the whole season. They were among the top ten in TDs allowed at 33.
Plus they benefit from the offense not turning the ball over much, so fewer short fields and bad situations.

If you just stripped away though Points per game stat and looked at the rest, one would not judge them to be among the best in the league.

I know PPG is really all that matters in the end, but when you are talking about moving to a new team in a new situation, the other stuff does start to matter.

Football outsiders, I know some don't like it, but have them ranked as the #31 defense this year.

Their red zone defense is often aided by their friends in New York.

rcubed 01-05-2018 01:19 PM

Zak Keefer

@zkeefer
One thing to know as this process starts: Chris Ballard has been preparing for this search for years. He showed Irsay an inches-thick binder during the interview last year, w/ a chapter included on what he’s looking for in a head coach and how the process should unfold.

So happy we have a real GM. I doubt grigson had something like this. It makes me wonder what irsay saw in grigson that prompted him to make that choice.

Dam8610 01-05-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 50240)
Zak Keefer

@zkeefer
One thing to know as this process starts: Chris Ballard has been preparing for this search for years. He showed Irsay an inches-thick binder during the interview last year, w/ a chapter included on what he’s looking for in a head coach and how the process should unfold.

So happy we have a real GM. I doubt grigson had something like this. It makes me wonder what irsay saw in grigson that prompted him to make that choice.

Hopefully he picked up on what Andy Reid does right and added based on that.

Racehorse 01-05-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 50241)
Hopefully he picked up on what Andy Reid does right and added based on that.

I haven't seen your pick for a new HC. Did you post it and I missed it?

Thorgrim 01-05-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 50240)
Zak Keefer

@zkeefer

Grigson had some notes scrawled on the back of his tampon box.

DrSpaceman 01-05-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 50234)
Their red zone defense is often aided by their friends in New York.

Hah......good point.

Literally 3 TDs overturned, at least, some say a 4th as well. that adds up to over a point a game over the season, 1-2 PPG, they would be close to 20 PPG average without those calls.

Gimmick 01-05-2018 02:52 PM

Don't be delusional, guys. Irsay is going to pick the coach. All Ballard or his daughters can do is lobby. He's going to draft a RB with the first round pick too, I would bet the house on it.

Puck 01-05-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimmick (Post 50263)
Don't be delusional, guys. Irsay is going to pick the coach. All Ballard or his daughters can do is lobby. He's going to draft a RB with the first round pick too, I would bet the house on it.

You spelled trailer wrong

Dam8610 01-05-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 50249)
I haven't seen your pick for a new HC. Did you post it and I missed it?

Nope, but I guess out of names mentioned I'd want Toub. Zimmer was my first choice back in 2012, so if the Colts hire Toub, hopefully he works out that well.

FatDT 01-05-2018 04:30 PM

I also wanted Zimmer. I see a few similarities between him and Toub. One of which is that they've been talked about for a long time as candidates but haven't gotten a shot. Obviously it worked out well for Minnesota.

I wonder with Toub what his preferences are for offensive and defensive schemes. As long as he's been around, with as many influences as he's probably had, I would have no idea what to expect or who he would hire for his coordinators.

Dam8610 01-05-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 50284)
I also wanted Zimmer. I see a few similarities between him and Toub. One of which is that they've been talked about for a long time as candidates but haven't gotten a shot. Obviously it worked out well for Minnesota.

I wonder with Toub what his preferences are for offensive and defensive schemes. As long as he's been around, with as many influences as he's probably had, I would have no idea what to expect or who he would hire for his coordinators.

He's been with Andy Reid (in Philadelphia and KC) and Lovie Smith. So he's been exposed to traditional 4-3, Tampa 2, and 2 gap 3-4. My hope is he'll stay 3-4 if hired and get a good DC in to oversee it, like Dom Capers.