ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Head Coaching Search (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31733)

DrSpaceman 01-04-2018 12:37 AM

If he truly wants power over personnel decisions, the answer is, and I am sure Ballard will tell him, no

I don't hate the idea of McDaniels. At least the offense would be good. Just wouldn't be my first choice.

Coltsalr 01-04-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 50016)
Same guy that traded the 2010 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to Baltimore for the 1st rd 25th pick to grab Tim Tebow? Scares me a bit ... :cool:

Certainly, he very hopefully won't have the power to do such things if he comes here.

Also, he appears to have learned a lot from his mistakes.

Coltsalr 01-04-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 50021)
If he truly wants power over personnel decisions, the answer is, and I am sure Ballard will tell him, no

I don't hate the idea of McDaniels. At least the offense would be good. Just wouldn't be my first choice.

Harbaugh or Saban would be my first choice, but I'm pretty sure we would've heard some rumblings on either if that were the case.

Short of that, I'd go McDaniels. As you said, the offense would be good and there's a high correlation rate right now between QB development (and in turn team success) and HC's that are offensive-minded:

Sean McVay comes to the Rams and they're suddenly one of the best teams in football and Jared Goff has a meteoric development, Doug Pederson has the Eagles thriving until Wentz died, Jason Garrett/Dak Prescott, Jay Gruden/Kirk Cousins, Kyle Shanahan/Jimmy Garappolo, Doug Marrone/Bortles, and Adam Gase had gotten Ryan Tannehill to being a postseason QB before he died.

Gimme an offensive-minded HC.

Maniac 01-04-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50055)

How do you know if he learned anything or not?

Maniac 01-04-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50056)
Harbaugh or Saban would be my first choice, but I'm pretty sure we would've heard some rumblings on either if that were the case.

Short of that, I'd go McDaniels. As you said, the offense would be good and there's a high correlation rate right now between QB development (and in turn team success) and HC's that are offensive-minded:

Sean McVay comes to the Rams and they're suddenly one of the best teams in football and Jared Goff has a meteoric development, Doug Pederson has the Eagles thriving until Wentz died, Jason Garrett/Dak Prescott, Jay Gruden/Kirk Cousins, Kyle Shanahan/Jimmy Garappolo, Doug Marrone/Bortles, and Adam Gase had gotten Ryan Tannehill to being a postseason QB before he died.

Gimme an offensive-minded HC.

There is nothing wrong with a defensive minded head coach. The important thing is who they hire to run the offense and that they don't limit the coordinator with their own flawed philosophy like Pagano did.

Just the same as the offensive minded head coach must make a good decision on the defensive coordinator or you're screwed on that side of the ball.

It's the same either way, they just have to make smart hires

Coltsalr 01-04-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 50060)
How do you know if he learned anything or not?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...pick-his-spots

Good read.

Maniac 01-04-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50062)

Good for him if that's true. Hopefully not just PR.

Dam8610 01-04-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50015)
Just think of it as weakening the opposition while also strengthening your own team.

Or more accurately, weakening your own team while not affecting the opposition.

Dam8610 01-04-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 50055)
Certainly, he very hopefully won't have the power to do such things if he comes here.

Is that why he's said to want GM level input? Because he learned from the last time he had GM level input that that was a bad idea?

Coltsalr 01-04-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 50068)
Or more accurately, weakening your own team while not affecting the opposition.

You might be thinking of what it was when the Colts lured Pagano away from the Ravens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 50069)
Is that why he's said to want GM level input? Because he learned from the last time he had GM level input that that was a bad idea?

There's always some input from the HC. It's a matter of whether he's demanding to be full Czar of the organization. If that's the case, then I'd imagine Ballard would either refuse to hire him or would walk away in disgust if Irsay made it so.