ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Interesting nugget in the press conference (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34996)

omahacolt 02-07-2018 06:45 PM

Interesting nugget in the press conference

1) other than luck still can't throw a football

is

2) we are definitely going to a 4-3. and the one that lovie used in chicago. which i believe was a tampa 2 right? granted a way better version of ours.

i can't say i watched too much of the bears during that time so i don't know how much they deviated from the standard dungy version.

thoughts on this news?

GoBigBlue88 02-07-2018 06:56 PM

Tampa-2 is great if you have an athletic MLB who can drop 20 yards, and a killer DL.

With Chubb, Colts could have 1 of those 2 things...

(But I do love the idea of Hooker in a Tampa-2.)

HoosierinFL 02-07-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 55061)
Tampa-2 is great if you have an athletic MLB who can drop 20 yards, and a killer DL.

With Chubb, Colts could have 1 of those 2 things...

(But I do love the idea of Hooker in a Tampa-2.)

regardless of which style of defense, ILB/MLB remains a top priority in the draft. I'm sure Ballard has ideas on the kind of guy he wants in that position.
But a DL of Chubb, Hankins, Wood, Anderson - you know that's not half bad.

Colt Classic 02-07-2018 07:20 PM

Lovie had Urlacher, Lance Briggs, and that safety who was good for a bit, Mike Brown. That's probably why it seemed like a better version. Pretty sure it was the same flavor of Tampa 2, just with better ingredients.

YDFL Commish 02-07-2018 07:23 PM

Under Lovie they did run more man concepts, maybe blitzed a little more, but that's about it.

FatDT 02-07-2018 07:42 PM

Anyone have details on the Dallas defense from the last two seasons? That is probably the closest approximation to what we can expect here. I find it hard to believe it's that close to a pure Tampa 2 base.

omahacolt 02-07-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 55072)
Anyone have details on the Dallas defense from the last two seasons? That is probably the closest approximation to what we can expect here. I find it hard to believe it's that close to a pure Tampa 2 base.

that is a good point

i fucking hate dallas so i only watch them under protest

sherck 02-07-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 55068)
Lovie had Urlacher, Lance Briggs, and that safety who was good for a bit, Mike Brown. That's probably why it seemed like a better version. Pretty sure it was the same flavor of Tampa 2, just with better ingredients.

The biggest ingredient that you missed which makes the Tampa-2 go was Tommy Harris getting the inside penetration (just like Warren Sapp in Tampa).

We never had that in Indy except for Booger and that other DT that I cannot remember his name who had the bad knees. 2 or 3 good years in all the time Dungy was in Indy. Those defenses were improved because of inside pressure. Otherwise, our DTs were fricking 265 pound wonders.

With Hankins/Woods/Anderson/Hunt/Ridgeway at DT and Sheard/Chubb/Basham/free agent at DE, I think we will have a D-Line that can do the job of a Tampa-2.

Simon/Mingo at SSLB with perhaps a free agent/Walker at WSLB leaves our 2nd round pick to be the best ILB we can get; I don't think there are any good MLBs in free agency this year.

I think we can get to a Tampa-2 front-7 setup pretty well in 2018.

Walk Worthy,

sherck 02-07-2018 08:28 PM

Good reminder of the Tampa-2 (located here).
Key quote:
Quote:

What happened to the Colts was that teams in the division decided that they weren't going to get into a shoot out with them. They were just going to get big up front and run the ball down their throats. It's the same strategy that has been used against them in the playoffs. The easiest way to beat the Colts is to have Manning sitting on the bench for 12 minutes while you wear down that undersized defense running the ball.
I hate getting run on.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007 02-07-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 55069)
Under Lovie they did run more man concepts, maybe blitzed a little more, but that's about it.

Yep. It wasn’t as vanilla Tampa 2 as we saw under Dungy here.