ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Autry (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61846)

Pez 12-10-2018 01:51 PM

Autry

Some appreciation for Autry. He was literally the only bright spot from the Jagoff game, and he again played well against the Texans.

In the last two weeks:

5 TFL
6 hits on the QB
11 tackles
5 sacks
2 forced fumbles

Luck4Reich 12-10-2018 02:02 PM

He is definitely bringing it!

Butter 12-10-2018 11:02 PM

He was absent early in the season, but he is certainly earning his paycheck lately.

sherck 12-11-2018 07:43 AM

Between Autry, Hunt, Sheard, Turay, Woods and Muhammud, we have some nice role players on the D-Line that, at times, can all dominate.

What we really need is an elite talent sitting above them to draw the double team consistently, still beat it at times and take pressure off of all of them in order for them to shine more.

Top priority in free agency needs to be an elite pass rusher if any make it to the market. If not, then our 1st round pick or top 2nd round pick (from NYJ) probably needs to be a DE or DT that can crush the pocket.

As a side note, other pick probably needs to be CB. Wilson is finally coming on, Moore has been a find and Desir is rocking it but another young talent is required.

Walk Worthy,

Maniac 12-12-2018 12:38 PM

Autry was named AFC defensive player of the week for week 14 :cool:

ChileColts 12-12-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 97303)
Between Autry, Hunt, Sheard, Turay, Woods and Muhammud, we have some nice role players on the D-Line that, at times, can all dominate.

What we really need is an elite talent sitting above them to draw the double team consistently, still beat it at times and take pressure off of all of them in order for them to shine more.

Top priority in free agency needs to be an elite pass rusher if any make it to the market. If not, then our 1st round pick or top 2nd round pick (from NYJ) probably needs to be a DE or DT that can crush the pocket.

As a side note, other pick probably needs to be CB. Wilson is finally coming on, Moore has been a find and Desir is rocking it but another young talent is required.

Walk Worthy,

Grady Jarret will be a Free agent this year and Atlanta its in cap hell, could be a good rotation/starter at DT.

Chromeburn 12-12-2018 02:05 PM

I didn't think much of Autry when we signed him. I'm glad I was wrong about the pickup, he's been great especially lately.

rcubed 12-12-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 97532)
I didn't think much of Autry when we signed him. I'm glad I was wrong about the pickup, he's been great especially lately.

love the avatar

1965southpaw 12-12-2018 07:38 PM

Just saw these stats on Facebook. What a difference a year makes.

Last year the #Colts⁠ ⁠leader in sacks was Jabaal Sheard with 5.5. 13 games in and they have three players who have matched or exceeded those numbers (Denico Autry w/ 8, Darius Leonard with 7 and Jabaal Sheard with 5.5). Margus Hunt is close with 5 and Kemoko Turay needs 1.5 sacks.

YDFL Commish 12-12-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 97616)
Just saw these stats on Facebook. What a difference a year makes.

Last year the #Colts⁠ ⁠leader in sacks was Jabaal Sheard with 5.5. 13 games in and they have three players who have matched or exceeded those numbers (Denico Autry w/ 8, Darius Leonard with 7 and Jabaal Sheard with 5.5). Margus Hunt is close with 5 and Kemoko Turay needs 1.5 sacks.

Yeah, coaching doesn't matter.

Dam8610 12-12-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 97622)
Yeah, coaching doesn't matter.

1) How many of those are new players?

2) The continued use of this phrasing shows a profound and complete lack of understanding of what my argument was.

omahacolt 12-12-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 97640)

2) The continued use of this phrasing shows a profound and complete lack of understanding of what my argument was.

You never had one

Butter 12-12-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 97640)

You lacked a sensible argument that is why everyone turned on you.

Racehorse 12-13-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 97650)

True. As they say, you never go full Tom Simpson. He went full Tom Simpson.

sherck 12-13-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 97667)

He just needed to have his stance adjusted.

Walk Worthy,

Pez 12-13-2018 08:06 AM

Two threads derailed by the coaching matters.... one about Autry and another about the site background.

Does anyone really enjoy talking about this?

omahacolt 12-13-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 97667)

Who was the dt that he said would be a pro bowler with 5 minutes of his coaching?

Racehorse 12-13-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 97682)
Who was the dt that he said would be a pro bowler with 5 minutes of his coaching?

Was it a DT or an OLineman?

YDFL Commish 12-13-2018 09:43 AM

It was a DT. I think it was Daniel Nuir.

Racehorse 12-13-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 97689)
It was a DT. I think it was Daniel Nuir.

I think I will do my C&O impression and resurrect a defunct thread with the answer.

Racehorse 12-13-2018 11:48 AM

OK, so he was never a member on the new board, it seems.

southside asshole 12-13-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 97709)

I remember him from the old one. IIRC, he was always talking about being a coach or a former coach, and this experience gave him some sort of deep schematic insight. I think it later either turned out to be completely false or he coached like some minor position of his kid's midget league team..

We basically drove him out of this place with persistent insults and derision. You know, the Coltfreaks way.

Dam8610 12-13-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 97650)

My argument was, and stance on the issue still is, that coaching typically has a neutral or negative effect on team performance on gameday. For all the love around here for Frank Reich and the coaching staff (deservedly so, because they've done their job, player development, well), Reich has been proof positive of my argument. Going for the win against Houston the first time is costing the Colts a shot at the division right now, for example.

Chromeburn 12-13-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 97563)
love the avatar

I figured new Colts era, time I finally chose one.

Chromeburn 12-13-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 97709)

Ran that guy off a loooong time ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by southside asshole (Post 97727)
I remember him from the old one. IIRC, he was always talking about being a coach or a former coach, and this experience gave him some sort of deep schematic insight. I think it later either turned out to be completely false or he coached like some minor position of his kid's midget league team..

We basically drove him out of this place with persistent insults and derision. You know, the Coltfreaks way.

I believe he taught high school d-line. He was right about a couple things, like technique does matter. Then went off about the whole stance thing, but he was just too dumb to articulate it correctly. So many coaches at that level are just meatheads. Even college-level sometimes. Was the player Muir or Moala he was defending?

Chromeburn 12-13-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 97765)
My argument was, and stance on the issue still is, that coaching typically has a neutral or negative effect on team performance on gameday. For all the love around here for Frank Reich and the coaching staff (deservedly so, because they've done their job, player development, well), Reich has been proof positive of my argument. Going for the win against Houston the first time is costing the Colts a shot at the division right now, for example.

Wouldn't scheme choice, effective gameplan development, and good play calling be considered positive effects towards gameday results?

rcubed 12-13-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

in game adjustments dumbass.

Pez 12-13-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

At the end of the day dam, it they had converted you might be saying that "going for the win on 4th down is what gave us this division", vs "Going for the win against Houston the first time is costing the Colts a shot at the division right now, for example"

You can go for it on 4th down. If you miss it's a horrible idea. If you make it it's brilliant. These are the debts a coach must pay.

omahacolt 12-13-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 97772)
Wouldn't scheme choice, effective gameplan development, and good play calling be considered positive effects towards gameday results?

the dude is trump. he will never admit he is wrong.

just make fun of him and move along

JAFF 12-13-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Reich has been proof positive of my argument. Going for the win against Houston the first time is costing the Colts a shot at the division right now, for example.

No, its not. Hindsight is 20/20. I didn't think the Colts would be anywhere NEAR a playoff birth at the beginning of the season. Going for the win against Houston made sense.

1. What did they have to loose? No one thought they could get to overtime let alone beat Houston.

2. I was critical of Reich with the jags loss. Damn take the points. But he was true to form, screw what others think, lets go win.

3. They came from behind to beat Houston. With the same attitude.

The GM and coach are setting the bar. We are GOING FOR IT. BE READY. It's the Colts new normal and I like it.

This team is going to do what they do and if you aint on board, jump off.

That is COACHING.

Dam8610 12-13-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 97772)

All of those things can be and are regularly erased both in the positive and negative direction by player performance, so no. Examples from last game: the Autry sack where he jailbroke up the middle, the playcall on either side was irrelevant because of player performance. On the opposite side of the spectrum, any drop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 97777)
in game adjustments dumbass.

Still require player performance, dumbass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 97788)
At the end of the day dam, it they had converted you might be saying that "going for the win on 4th down is what gave us this division", vs "Going for the win against Houston the first time is costing the Colts a shot at the division right now, for example"

You can go for it on 4th down. If you miss it's a horrible idea. If you make it it's brilliant. These are the debts a coach must pay.

To me, in the situation, the smart play was the tie. Reich's aggressiveness on 4th downs also potentially cost the Colts the @ Jaguars game. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the aggressiveness in most situations on 4th down (I specifically didn't bring up the Jaguars game initially because I mostly agreed with the decisions, even though I thought the calls were underwhelming in a couple of cases), but I tend to like to play the percentages with 4th downs, and that 4th down against Houston was very low percentage. A punt virtually locked a tie, while a failure to convert was almost assuredly a loss, and a conversion was maybe win/more likely still tie. To me, you're less than 50/50 on that 4th and 4 for getting a more positive result by going for it than punting, probably more like 25/75.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 97792)

I don't have anything to admit to being wrong about.

Also, I'd like to point out that several people here have compared you to Trump.

Racehorse 12-13-2018 07:24 PM

Coaches get paid to build player performance and execution. Confidence to perform at this level can be an acquired trait, which can be produced by a coach known as a "whisperer". Stop ignoring the psychological benefits of a competent coach who understands how to build confidence.

YDFL Commish 12-13-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 97792)

But when we making fun of him, we are derailing threads?

YDFL Commish 12-13-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 97799)
All of those things can be and are regularly erased both in the positive and negative direction by player performance, so no. Examples from last game: the Autry sack where he jailbroke up the middle, the playcall on either side was irrelevant because of player performance. On the opposite side of the spectrum, any drop.

Still require player performance, dumbass.

To me, in the situation, the smart play was the tie. Reich's aggressiveness on 4th downs also potentially cost the Colts the @ Jaguars game. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the aggressiveness in most situations on 4th down (I specifically didn't bring up the Jaguars game initially because I mostly agreed with the decisions, even though I thought the calls were underwhelming in a couple of cases), but I tend to like to play the percentages with 4th downs, and that 4th down against Houston was very low percentage. A punt virtually locked a tie, while a failure to convert was almost assuredly a loss, and a conversion was maybe win/more likely still tie. To me, you're less than 50/50 on that 4th and 4 for getting a more positive result by going for it than punting, probably more like 25/75.

I don't have anything to admit to being wrong about.

Also, I'd like to point out that several people here have compared you to Trump.

So Chud's dumbass offense that had verticals on virtually every play, with only O-Line protection was a smart scheme?

Luck wouldn't succeed in that scheme...but yet they ran it with a guy who had just joined the team in Brissett?

That my lost soul is coaching...and any HC who signs off on that BS is rotting from the head.

omahacolt 12-13-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 97809)
But when we making fun of him, we are derailing threads?

Every thread needs some making fun of dam imo

Chromeburn 12-13-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 97799)

But, for example, what if the coach gameplans the strength out of the opposition. Belichick often effectively neutralizes a teams strength, especially on offense. That is coaching, it isn't happenstance the players do it. They still have to follow through and accomplish it, but the design is by the coach that they follow.

Dam8610 12-13-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 97826)
But, for example, what if the coach gameplans the strength out of the opposition. Belichick often effectively neutralizes a teams strength, especially on offense. That is coaching, it isn't happenstance the players do it. They still have to follow through and accomplish it, but the design is by the coach that they follow.

But the players can still fuck it up, like the Cheaters did against Miami last week (and let's not even get into the idea that probably all of Belicheat's "good coaching" is actually cheating). Likewise, great players can make a stupid scheme look ingenious. For all the bitching and moaning we hear around here about the Tampa 2, the 2005-2007 Bears and Colts (with a healthy Bob Sanders) sure made it look pretty damn good. Why? Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea, Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, even Gary Brackett for the Colts, Brian Urlacher, Tommie Harris, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Nate Vasher, Mike Brown for the Bears. Can schemes help or hurt players situationally? Sure, but in general teams draft for scheme (i.e. a Frank Reich offense would not likely draft a RB like Derrick Henry) so the players that are drafted should, in theory, be good fits for the scheme in which they're playing. Ultimately the performance on the field by the players is what will make the difference on gameday in most cases. Maybe a bad call, like 4th and 2 (:D), hands a team a win on occasion, but that's negative coaching impact, because the coach on the winning side had no say in the go for it vs. punt decision on that play.

Dam8610 12-13-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 97807)
Coaches get paid to build player performance and execution. Confidence to perform at this level can be an acquired trait, which can be produced by a coach known as a "whisperer". Stop ignoring the psychological benefits of a competent coach who understands how to build confidence.

I'm not. I never at any point said that coaches have no impact. I said their impact on gameday is typically negligible or negative. Player development is most certainly their job. It's their primary job, in fact.

omahacolt 12-13-2018 10:41 PM

Guys,

Dam backed a shitty coach. It’s over. He will never concede to being wrong no matter what. We all know he is wrong. He knows he is wrong. There isn’t a single person on the planet that would agree with him.

But it is done. He went all in on one of the worst coaches in history and he doesn’t have the balls to admit he was wrong. Dam lacks integrity as a human. He is a coward. To his core, as a man, he is a weak and shitty person. That is simply who he is.

He is damold trump.

Dam8610 12-13-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 97848)
Guys,

Dam backed a shitty coach. It’s over. He will never concede to being wrong no matter what. We all know he is wrong. He knows he is wrong. There isn’t a single person on the planet that would agree with him.

But it is done. He went all in on one of the worst coaches in history and he doesn’t have the balls to admit he was wrong. Dam lacks integrity as a human. He is a coward. To his core, as a man, he is a weak and shitty person. That is simply who he is.

He is damold trump.

Omaha proudly reveling in his latest "victory":

https://i.redd.it/55x718re6cxy.jpg