ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   over 50 million to spend (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3950)

omahacolt 03-16-2017 04:54 PM

over 50 million to spend

and this limp dick gm has arguably made this team worse.

discuss

HoosierinFL 03-16-2017 05:12 PM

you're retarded.

this was a shitty roster. merely dumping the guys we did automatically made it better.

I can't believe anyone wants to revise history and think that any more than 5-6 guys on the entire roster could start on another team.

omahacolt 03-16-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 6967)
you're retarded.

this was a shitty roster. merely dumping the guys we did automatically made it better.

I can't believe anyone wants to revise history and think that any more than 5-6 guys on the entire roster could start on another team.

we haven't gotten better yet

rcubed 03-16-2017 05:37 PM

meh, I dont know about worse. I would say marginally better so far.

Dumped some old and/or underperforming players - good

Resigend doyle and turbin - good moves.

Traded allen. Though he was not necessarily a problem, it is good to get of his salary while picking up a draft pick during a loaded year.

Got a punter. Not his fault mcafee retired.

Improvement on LBs he signed. Not yet where we want the group to be but an improvement.

We needed to get younger, which he has done so far.
We need to draft better than we have been, which is yet to be seen.
I would (would have) really like to see him pick up one 'splash' FA this year.

njcoltfan 03-16-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 6966)
and this limp dick gm has arguably made this team worse.

discuss

I don't think we are any worse, how much better, if at all, remains to be seen.

Maniac 03-16-2017 05:45 PM

We are marginally better now.

We should have known that Ballard isn't going to go crazy in free agency though. He said when he was hired on that he believes in building the team through the draft.

I'm fine with him not overpaying at the beginning of free agency. Wait for those deals to get out of the way and then sign a few guys for decent money and build the rest through the draft. This is a multi-year project. This defense isn't getting built in one year.

omahacolt 03-16-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 6982)
We are marginally better now.

We should have known that Ballard isn't going to go crazy in free agency though. He said when he was hired on that he believes in building the team through the draft.

I'm fine with him not overpaying at the beginning of free agency. Wait for those deals to get out of the way and then sign a few guys for decent money and build the rest through the draft. This is a multi-year project. This defense isn't getting built in one year.

paid sheard more than poe

Puck 03-16-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 6984)

Atlanta is a pretty good team. I dont think he was passing them up. Their D is close to being very good. Ours is years away

Better weather. Bigger town.

omahacolt 03-16-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 6985)
Atlanta is a pretty good team. I dont think he was passing them up. Their D is close to being very good. Ours is years away

Better weather. Bigger town.

what does that have to do with anything

GoBigBlue88 03-16-2017 06:25 PM

It. Is. March. And. The. GM. Has. Been. Employed. For. One. Month.

Maniac 03-16-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Pass rushers are generally a higher salary position. That's like complaining because we paid a OT more than someone else paid for a OG or center.

Puck 03-16-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 6988)
what does that have to do with anything

Has a lot to do with it. He has a chance to look really really good on a one yr deal with that D. He has a lot less chance to look great here

Puck 03-16-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 6993)
Pass rushers are generally a higher salary position. That's like complaining because we paid a OT more than someone else paid for a OG or center.

That is why I prefer we draft CB's and pass rush... costs a lot less

VeveJones007 03-16-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

If Poe wanted to sign here, Ballard would have paid him.

jasperhobbs 03-16-2017 07:54 PM

I'm glad they didn't sign Poe. I believe injuries have taken there toll and he is not the player he once was.

I would rather Ballard avoid signing high dollar free agents and build through the draft. Too many high priced free agents have failed to live up to expectations and saddle a team with cap woes.

omahacolt 03-16-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 6993)

Sheard isn't exactly a pass rusher

omahacolt 03-16-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 6990)

Is he going to start bringing in good players in a few months ? Other teams are going ahead and improving their rosters now.

Puck 03-16-2017 08:25 PM

On Colts discussion with Poe

Josina Anderson‏ @JosinaAnderson

There were talks including something in neighborhood of 5-yr deal worth up to $60M. Not only option. 1-year was discussed too, per source.

Coltsalr 03-16-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7015)
Is he going to start bringing in good players in a few months ? Other teams are going ahead and improving their rosters now.

If only there were an event that took place every April where teams have 7 rounds to pick players. Man, I bet good GM's would even use such a source as their primary means of acquiring talent...

Puck 03-16-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 7018)
If only there were an event that took place every April where teams have 7 rounds to pick players. Man, I bet good GM's would even use such a source as their primary means of acquiring talent...

Can't fill all the holes in the draft.

natagu23 03-16-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 7017)
On Colts discussion with Poe

Josina Anderson‏ @JosinaAnderson

There were talks including something in neighborhood of 5-yr deal worth up to $60M. Not only option. 1-year was discussed too, per source.

The guy just didn't want to sign here. Didn't he get 1 year and 8 million with the Falcons? I would imagine the deal includes incentives but still.....

F**k that guy.

Cant fault Ballard here.

Puck 03-16-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 7020)
The guy just didn't want to sign here. Didn't he get 1 year and 8 million with the Falcons? I would imagine the deal includes incentives but still.....

F**k that guy.

Cant fault Ballard here.

He didn't like the thought of camp fires, chopping wood and singing Kumbaya with the clapper

omahacolt 03-16-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 7018)

At best there will be 3 or 4 good players. And that doesn't excuse going into free agency's with cash in hand and making the team worse

Coltsalr 03-16-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7027)
At best there will be 3 or 4 good players. And that doesn't excuse going into free agency's with cash in hand and making the team worse

He hasn't made the team worse.

omahacolt 03-16-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 7031)
He hasn't made the team worse.

We are worse at

Te
Cb
Oline
Punter
Safety
Ilber

Better at
Maybe olber
Probably dline

rcubed 03-16-2017 09:48 PM

punter isnt his fault

Butter 03-16-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 7035)
punter isnt his fault

He did manage to sign a pretty marginal one at best.

sherck 03-16-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7027)

The door is ===========> that way.

Don't let it hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

VeveJones007 03-16-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 7034)
We are worse at

Te
Cb
Oline
Punter
Safety
Ilber

Better at
Maybe olber
Probably dline

Problem is that you're comparing the current 2017 roster vs the 2016 roster. Ballard is clearly focusing more on the 2018-2020 rosters and just getting short-term fillers in UFA.

Let's wait until the offseason is done before passing judgment.

FatDT 03-16-2017 11:09 PM

Holy shit omaha stop being such a fucking baby. You are better than this.

rcubed 03-16-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 7036)
He did manage to sign a pretty marginal one at best.

So who was the top shelf punter he should have signed?

natagu23 03-16-2017 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 7040)
Problem is that you're comparing the current 2017 roster vs the 2016 roster. Ballard is clearly focusing more on the 2018-2020 rosters and just getting short-term fillers in UFA.

Let's wait until the offseason is done before passing judgment.

I get it. Ballard probably set out long term goals, and objectives to reach those goals, but the AFC South is winnable even with the sh*t show that is our defense.

So, we're going to wait until Luck is 30 until we're contenders?

That's assuming Ballard drafts well.

natagu23 03-17-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

We are worse at

Te
Cb
Oline
Punter
Safety
Ilber

Better at
Maybe olber
Probably dline

We're not better, nor are we worse. We're still a sh*t show on defense for the most part.

Ideally, Sheard should be a rotational guy or a guy you bring in on your Nascar package. Not a starter. This is not a perfect world so whatever.

I hated the Walden signing, but he was decent at doing his one job. Maybe John Simon is a little better at it I suppose. Lets hope.

Lets be honest, all these recent guys Ballard just signed are camp bodies because they're not going to be out anybody.

Its hard to see how this team is better with the recent retirements, possible Butler loss, and Allen trade compared to the talent we signed.

Its a wash imo with a slight lean towards worse.

natagu23 03-17-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 7046)
So who was the top shelf punter he should have signed?

The guy who's rated 99 on Madden.

Who cares. As long as the guy doesn't out punt his coverage and can spot and hold without f**king us. Who cares.

Kickers....

VeveJones007 03-17-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 7049)
I get it. Ballard probably set out long term goals, and objectives to reach those goals, but the AFC South is winnable even with the sh*t show that is our defense.

So, we're going to wait until Luck is 30 until we're contenders?

That's assuming Ballard drafts well.

I totally get what you're saying (and I agree that this much of a patient approach was unnecessary), but Ballard has a long-term plan. We just have to wait and see if he succeeds.

Dam8610 03-17-2017 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 6990)

He. Hates. The. New. GM. Because. It's. Not. His. Mancrush. Grigson.

Coltsalr 03-17-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 7044)

He just misses his one true love Grigson.

omahacolt 03-17-2017 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 7039)
The door is ===========> that way.

Don't let it hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Being critical of a gm is off limits now?

omahacolt 03-17-2017 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 7044)

Again

Discussing free agent moves is a logical thing to do. There are still things that can be done but right now this team is worse. And it doesnt need to be

Coltsalr 03-17-2017 06:07 AM

Quote:

We are worse at

Te
Cb
Oline
Punter
Safety
Ilber

Better at
Maybe olber
Probably dline

They aren't any worse at CB, OL, or ILB. Additionally, there's still time. Cutting Patrick Robinson and DQ Jackson is addition by subtraction anyway.

TE, fine, but at least they're spending less and I doubt there will be any huge drop off.

Safety depends on whether they bring back Butler.

They're absolutely certainly better at OLB. And yes, probably at DL, too.