ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Quenton Nelson talks about Wentz (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129205)

Luck4Reich 09-19-2021 06:42 PM

Quenton Nelson talks about Wentz

Quenton Nelson on Carson Wentz: "His toughness, shoot — all the times he’s gotten hit, all the times he’s gotten up? It’s on a different level. He hasn’t complained once. We need to be better up front ... if we give him more time, he can play even better."

Oldcolt 09-19-2021 06:45 PM

The Colts offensive line is doing for Wentz what they did for Luck

Luck4Reich 09-19-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 202913)
The Colts offensive line is doing for Wentz what they did for Luck

So far.... The difference is this line is dealing with a lot of injuries... Lucks line just had bad players picked by Grigson.

Oldcolt 09-19-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 202914)
So far.... The difference is this line is dealing with a lot of injuries... Lucks line just had bad players picked by Grigson.

We have spent a fortune in draft capital and now money. Can’t run the ball or protect the passer. Results speak for themselves. There is time but as of right now we have issues big time

Oldcolt 09-19-2021 09:34 PM

I believe the offensive line issues are related to injuries. We have seen these guys perform at a high level to long for them to all of a sudden forget how to play. Not blaming them or Ballard. But if you have a team where you spend your capital on the lines and they cannot produce, for whatever reason, you are in a heap of trouble. If they get healthy before we are completely out of it, and we have a quarterback, this season isn't lost yet.

JAFF 09-19-2021 10:28 PM

The O-line has not had all of the projected starters on the practice field together at one time, for one practice.

LT Fisher was just activated
Nelson missed several weeks
Kelly has missed time
Smith is now out and no word when he will be back
Glowinski is the only guy who has not missed time

They look like they didnt get enough time in the preseason

ukcolt 09-20-2021 04:17 AM

It's not even just the injuries to the starters, Tevi who was appalling throughout pre-season anyway, is on IR, Pinter has missed time, Davenport is one moment playing RT then LT, that can't be helpful to him for any form of consistency, brought the guy Pryor in from the Eagles, still learning the playbook and who his teammates are. Offensive lines need time to gel, it is a unit. I think we have 6 or 7 decent guys, Fisher, Nelson, Kelly, Glowinski, Smith, Davenport and Pinter, if all fully fit and able to practice throughout the week, they will be dominant.

I was pleasantly surprised that we managed to stay with the Rams as well as we did, should really have won that game.

Spike 09-20-2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 202912)
Quenton Nelson on Carson Wentz: "His toughness, shoot — all the times he’s gotten hit, all the times he’s gotten up? It’s on a different level. He hasn’t complained once. We need to be better up front ... if we give him more time, he can play even better."

I have really come to like Wentz. I mentioned this in the game thread, he is one competitive SOB. He needs to learn to just let a play die and go down so he doesn't get hurt. On the play where he got hurt, he was just trying to make a play to help his team win the game, can't fault him for that. He looked good against the Rams and like Nelson said, if they give him time to throw, he'll look even better.

Hoopsdoc 09-20-2021 09:00 AM

Best case scenario is he’s back out there next week, though I doubt it.

Next best scenario is he misses enough time to keep our pick, because it looks like it’ll be a high one.

Butter 09-20-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 202978)
I have really come to like Wentz. I mentioned this in the game thread, he is one competitive SOB. He needs to learn to just let a play die and go down so he doesn't get hurt. On the play where he got hurt, he was just trying to make a play to help his team win the game, can't fault him for that. He looked good against the Rams and like Nelson said, if they give him time to throw, he'll look even better.

Hero ball is his downfall, you have to love the effort, but the result is injury and turnovers too often for him, hopefully, he reins it in a bit.

Chromeburn 09-20-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 202997)
Hero ball is his downfall, you have to love the effort, but the result is injury and turnovers too often for him, hopefully, he reins it in a bit.

He needs to pick his battles and he will hold the ball longer than he should at times. Some downs he would get it our quick. But you can tell he wants those long pass plays. That’s not realistic with one tackle a backup and the other just starting his season.

rcubed 09-20-2021 12:03 PM

Wentz has played well overall and doesnt appear to be broken mentally like many have said. but I agree that he needs to just eat plays sometimes, and his head first diving scares me a bit also. The line needs to get their shit together, they are supposed to be a strength.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 09-20-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 202979)
Best case scenario is he’s back out there next week, though I doubt it.

Next best scenario is he misses enough time to keep our pick, because it looks like it’ll be a high one.

This morning, Rapoport indicated that Wentz sprained both ankles during yesterday's game.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1439962170608037889

Quote:

Colts QB Carson Wentz is dealing with injuries to not just one ankle, but both ankles sources say. He’s having tests today to determine the severity of his sprains suffered yesterday.

Chromeburn 09-20-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 203000)
This morning, Rapoport indicated that Wentz sprained both ankles during yesterday's game.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1439962170608037889

Of course he did.

Btw Wentz is on his way to being hit 179 times this year. The most Luck was hit was 122.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 09-20-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 203019)
Of course he did.

Btw Wentz is on his way to being hit 179 times this year. The most Luck was hit was 122.

At the current rate, Wentz won't make it through the season so I don't think Luck's numbers are in any real jeopardy.

Hopefully the OL play will improve over the next few weeks as well if the starters can get healthy and stay on the field.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 09-20-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 203000)

At today's press conference, Reich confirms Rapoport's earlier report that Wentz sprained both ankles. He isn't sure if Wentz can play vs Tenn.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1440041064333598721

Quote:

Colts QB Carson Wentz has sprains in both of his ankles, per Frank Reich. Status for this week remains up in the air. Team working through the details with the doctors to map out a plan for this week.
https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...41845879234561

Quote:

Too early to tell if Wentz will be able to play on Sunday against Tennessee
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1440041180004188170

Quote:

"If Jacob (Eason) has to play, he'll be ready," Reich says

Hoopsdoc 09-20-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 203019)
Of course he did.

Un fucking believable.

The offensive line can kiss my ass.

Luck4Reich 09-20-2021 06:16 PM

Ballard did a piss poor job addressing the line during the off-season

Spike 09-20-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 202999)
Wentz has played well overall and doesnt appear to be broken mentally like many have said. but I agree that he needs to just eat plays sometimes, and his head first diving scares me a bit also. The line needs to get their shit together, they are supposed to be a strength.

Yep, a lot of the so called experts did say he was broken mentally, Wentz, so far as proven them wrong. Wentz gets ripped in the media more than any QB in the NFL IMHO. What happened to him in Philly was complete BS. He was having an MVP type year, got hurt, then Foles led the team to a SB victory. Then the Eagles created a statute for Foles???? Yeah, Foles played well for a few games, outside of that, he's a 3rd string QB.

As much as the Eagles and their fans wanted to destroy Wentz, they failed. I really believe the O-Line will get better, hell, they have to. Once Fisher gets a few more game snaps and Smith gets back, it should be fine.

Spike 09-20-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 203059)

He went to the 99 cent store and picked up trash. Davenport, Tevi and the other shithead I can't think of now (Holdin?) are disasters.

JAFF 09-20-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 203059)

What? Every position was addressed.
* found a LT
* signed an extension with Smith
* signed several seasoned vets as backups

The problem is that everyone of the starters except Glowinski has miss camp time, practice time, and havent been healthy.

What more do you want? No one has 7 great linemen on their team. If the O line can get all 5 starters to practice for a solid week, we might see better play..

Chromeburn 09-20-2021 07:24 PM

Wentz has a high ankle sprain snd a moderate low ankle sprain. Both together will ensure he is out.

Luck4Reich 09-20-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 203065)
What? Every position was addressed.
* found a LT
* signed an extension with Smith
* signed several seasoned vets as backups

The problem is that everyone of the starters except Glowinski has miss camp time, practice time, and havent been healthy.

What more do you want? No one has 7 great linemen on their team. If the O line can get all 5 starters to practice for a solid week, we might see better play..

He could have added depth.. I have been as big of fan of Ballard as anyone but I wish he would have done better during the off-season... Nobody said anything about having 7 great lineman... But you don't have a bunch of shit as backups either... Tevi and Davenport were bad signings.

Luck4Reich 09-20-2021 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 203063)
He went to the 99 cent store and picked up trash. Davenport, Tevi and the other shithead I can't think of now (Holdin?) are disasters.

Yep those were Grigson type finds there....

Racehorse 09-20-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 203075)
He could have added depth.. I have been as big of fan of Ballard as anyone but I wish he would have done better during the off-season... Nobody said anything about having 7 great lineman... But you don't have a bunch of shit as backups either... Tevi and Davenport were bad signings.

Who was available that we passed on?

JAFF 09-20-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 203075)

The Colts have 5 sure starters. Anyone whos good enough to start isnt signing in Indy hoping to get PT. And money is getting tight with all the renegotiated contracts.

And the team still doesnt have a sure thing on the D for pash rush past Bruckner.

MeSayDayo 09-21-2021 09:44 AM

It is going to get very interesting to see what happens if Wentz misses an extended period of time. So much that, in a sense, we might even have to start making long term plans to rebuild our original rebuild, so to speak.

-If Wentz misses a lot of time, are we actually going to trot out Eason to cover the position? Eason likely flames out, and now going into next year we have a 4th round pick that we will cut loose and a very injury prone (but good when he plays) Wentz that is expected to be our QB1 for the next decade? I don't know about you, but I don't like that plan going forward.

-This would result in us having our first round (likely top 10) pick back in our pocket. Where the hell do we go with that? Likely not enough fire power to trade into the top 5, nor would Ballard do that. So are we shopping for another QB after next year and seeing what Carson can do with his final year of his contract with us?

-Qbs aside, we have benefitted from having all of the middling 2nd-3rd round picks on rookie contracts. None of them (Campbell, Turay, Banogu, Okereke, Lewis) are likely worth giving any decent money to, and some are even cut worthy. The only benefit of having these guys mainly sucks may be the ability to sign some of them to modest, prove it deals. But why bother? They havn't done shit so far, why keep our faith in a losing bet?

-That is where the rebuild comes into play. We either need to let them all walk and put our chips in a few good FA's (not likely based on Ballards TR), or find a way to draft their replacements. Either way, there has been way too many picks that havent panned out and it will hit us hard over the next two off seasons.

If anyone cant see the brewing storm for out franchise, you're blind. Ballard has built a team that is strong in all the wrong places and his foundation is very flimsy. I think he is a good GM who has a plan and acts on strong conviction, but wow, we have a lot of air in this roster, especially on D.

Oldcolt 09-21-2021 03:48 PM

Call me blind but I think we have built strength in exactly the right places, it is just with injuries and poor line coordination it isn't a strength right now, speaking of offensive line. Defensive line has a ton of athletes, now they need to learn to become football players. It will take time, something that is running out on some of them (looking at you Banogu, Lewis and Turay)

Colts And Orioles 09-26-2021 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 202912)

Quenton Nelson on Carson Wentz: "His toughness, shoot — all the times he’s gotten hit, all the times he’s gotten up ??? It’s on a different level. He hasn’t complained once. We need to be better up front ...... if we give him more time, he can play even better."

o

He's starting in an NFL game exactly 1 week after being diagnosed with 2 ankle sprains ......

Colts Plan to Start QB Carson Wentz vs. Titans

(By Jelani Scott)

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-plan-...n-wentz-ankles

o

njcoltfan 09-26-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 203555)
o

He's starting in an NFL game exactly 1 week after being diagnosed with 2 ankle sprains ......

Colts Plan to Start QB Carson Wentz vs. Titans

(By Jelani Scott)

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-plan-...n-wentz-ankles

o

He might start, but he won't finish.

Racehorse 09-26-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 203562)
He might start, but he won't finish.

I wonder if Vegas has that as a bet.