ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   im going to indy this week (First time ever) (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59035)

ChileColts 11-14-2018 11:30 AM

im going to indy this week (First time ever)

Hi Freaks, im excited to shared with you that im going to indy for holidays, i'll be in colts (titans and Dophins) games and pacers (Hawks and Spurs) games and i would appreciate if you can give me some recommendations of places to eat, drink, bars with live music and/or any place that you think is worth knowing.

I have been a reader in this forum for a lot of time (because my english writing wasn't good and Omaha annoyed me for that in every single thread that i posted) and i want feel the experience of a Colt fan in Indy.

Any suggestions, comments, would be appreciated, thanks in advance just for reading me and I hope to represent in a great way all the colts freaks of South America.

ChileColts

PS: I know my english its still not good at all, by im trying to do my best effort.

Indystu2 11-14-2018 11:33 AM

You are doing fine man. Have a great time in Indy! I don't live there (was born there though) so I cannot help you with that.

sherck 11-14-2018 11:51 AM

If you have cash to burn, St Elmo's Steakhouse is the best place in town, IMO, but you will drop a ton of cash on it.

Rock Bottom Brewery is a great medium priced meal with a wide selection of good brews.

Acauplco Joe's has great Mexican food.

Le Peep's is a great breakfast place. So is First Watch on N Illinois.

Claddagh Irish Pub also has great food and a great selection of drinks.

If you want to laugh, you could try Fogo de Chao which brands itself as a Brazillian Steakhouse and tell us all the ways that it is wrong! :)

The Old Spaghetti Factory has some pretty solid Italian for a good price. So is Bucca di Beppo but that is all "family style" dining and the portions (and price) are big.

Don't know if you are coming with kids but the Children's Museum is world-class.

The Indianapolis 500 Motor Speedway Museum is also a must see on your first trip to Indy.

Christmas lights at the Indianapolis Zoo is pretty nice the first time you see them. The 20th time? Not so much.

If you want to drive 2 hours to the east, I could show you around the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH at Wright Patterson Air Force Base if you are interested in airpower.

I don't know if they are doing a Christmas show at Conner Prarie living history museum but if so, that would be a great look at some history of North America.

Walk Worthy,

smitty46953 11-14-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChileColts (Post 91728)
Hi Freaks, im excited to shared with you that im going to indy for holidays, i'll be in colts (titans and Dophins) games and pacers (Hawks and Spurs) games and i would appreciate if you can give me some recommendations of places to eat, drink, bars with live music and/or any place that you think is worth knowing.

I have been a reader in this forum for a lot of time (because my english writing wasn't good and Omaha annoyed me for that in every single thread that i posted) and i want feel the experience of a Colt fan in Indy.

Any suggestions, comments, would be appreciated, thanks in advance just for reading me and I hope to represent in a great way all the colts freaks of South America.

ChileColts

PS: I know my english its still not good at all, by im trying to do my best effort.

Post away Chile, Omaha annoys even his own mother … Enjoy your self in Indy !!! :cool:

sherck 11-14-2018 12:44 PM

Honestly, Omaha annoys me with about 5 out of every 6 posts.

Apparently, he needs to work harder in order to get to 6 out of 6.

Walk Worthy,

Colts And Orioles 11-14-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 91735)

Frankly, Omaha annoys me with about 5 out of every 6 posts.

Apparently, he needs to work harder in order to get to 6 out of 6.

Walk Worthy,

o

Then he's accomplishing what he wants to.

That's not an insult to you nor a compliment to him, just a fact.

o

1965southpaw 11-14-2018 01:58 PM

I'm very excited for you Chile!! Lucas Oil is a GREAT place to enjoy a game. I know I'm biased but I've been to 1/3 of the NFL stadiums around the US and really believe it's among the best. I'm heading to Indy myself for Thanksgiving with the family.....I haven't lived there in 12 years but you really have to add the Slippery Noodle to your list of places to go. It's the oldest bar in Indiana, has a really cool vibe, and live music many evenings. It's very close to Lucas Oil Stadium as well. Freaks, correct me if that has changed in the last few years but I'm pretty sure it's still open?

ChileColts 11-14-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 91730)

If you want to drive 2 hours to the east, I could show you around the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH at Wright Patterson Air Force Base if you are interested in airpower.

Walk Worthy,

that would be awesome...thanks !!

Colt Classic 11-14-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 91745)
I'm very excited for you Chile!! Lucas Oil is a GREAT place to enjoy a game. I know I'm biased but I've been to 1/3 of the NFL stadiums around the US and really believe it's among the best. I'm heading to Indy myself for Thanksgiving with the family.....I haven't lived there in 12 years but you really have to add the Slippery Noodle to your list of places to go. It's the oldest bar in Indiana, has a really cool vibe, and live music many evenings. It's very close to Lucas Oil Stadium as well. Freaks, correct me if that has changed in the last few years but I'm pretty sure it's still open?

Still there, just a short walk from the stadium. Also, Shapiro's deli is close and would be a great lunch spot. They have good Reuben sandwiches, among other things. Fountain Square and Massachusetts Avenue (Mass Ave.) are good areas with a lot of bars nearby.

Pez 11-14-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965southpaw (Post 91745)

Yea, the noodle is still around and it's a short walk from the stadium. Should definitely be on a short list of music venues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chromeburn 11-14-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 91730)
If you have cash to burn, St Elmo's Steakhouse is the best place in town, IMO, but you will drop a ton of cash on it.

Rock Bottom Brewery is a great medium priced meal with a wide selection of good brews.

Acauplco Joe's has great Mexican food.

Le Peep's is a great breakfast place. So is First Watch on N Illinois.

Claddagh Irish Pub also has great food and a great selection of drinks.

If you want to laugh, you could try Fogo de Chao which brands itself as a Brazillian Steakhouse and tell us all the ways that it is wrong! :)

The Old Spaghetti Factory has some pretty solid Italian for a good price. So is Bucca di Beppo but that is all "family style" dining and the portions (and price) are big.

Don't know if you are coming with kids but the Children's Museum is world-class.

The Indianapolis 500 Motor Speedway Museum is also a must see on your first trip to Indy.

Christmas lights at the Indianapolis Zoo is pretty nice the first time you see them. The 20th time? Not so much.

I don't know if they are doing a Christmas show at Conner Prarie living history museum but if so, that would be a great look at some history of North America.

Walk Worthy,

I was there last year for my sisters wedding. My wife and I went to a cool little bar called “Nada”, pretty good tacos. Oceanaire has some good seafood. If you feel like dancing, Reveal nightclub can be fun if it is busy. Yardhouse is next to Nada and has upscale bar food and lots of beers on tap. And if you would like some sushi you can try Mikado.

All these are downtown. There is a good tenderloin sandwich place which is kind of iconic for Indiana. Forgot where it is though.

rcubed 11-14-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 91753)
There is a good tenderloin sandwich place which is kind of iconic for Indiana

why is this ironic?

Colts And Orioles 11-14-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

There is a good tenderloin sandwich place, which is kind of iconic for Indiana. I forgot where it is, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 91761)

Why is this ironic?

o

Iconic.

o

YDFL Commish 11-14-2018 04:45 PM

I'll 2nd La Peep for breakfast and the Slippery Noodle for some great blues music and atmosphere.

I would also add Crackers comedy club as a pretty fun time as well.

Phelanka7 11-14-2018 06:52 PM

If the game doesn't go so well you can always walk across the street to the Red Garter strip club and cheer yourself up, and in the morning wash down the hangover with breakfast at Biscuits in Broad Ripple. Best breakfast in Indy.

Children's Museum and the Art Museum are great for families or if you want something cerebral to do.

Avoid the East side of 465 loop if you can help it. In general avoid the East Side due to traffic, but outside the 465 loop it is crime-ridden.

If you're looking for lunch downtown I recommend Market Square. Its an indoor market with lots of different food vendors to choose from and a good beer bar on the second floor.

St. Elmo's is world-renowned but very pricey and a little overrated imo. If you like seafood and want to spend a boatload of money, Oceanaire is the place to go.

Mass Ave and Fountain Square are decent nightlife districts and fairly safe compared to other big cities. Broad Ripple is a nightlife spot too but can be sorta dicey. Especially for someone who is visiting from another country.

I hope you enjoy your visit though! I've lived here all my life so if you have any specific questions just shoot me a message. Or if you want my phone number to text me while you're here with any advice you can do that too.

Salud!

DrSpaceman 11-14-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

I was there last year for my sisters wedding. My wife and I went to a cool little bar called “Nada”, pretty good tacos. Oceanaire has some good seafood. If you feel like dancing, Reveal nightclub can be fun if it is busy. Yardhouse is next to Nada and has upscale bar food and lots of beers on tap. And if you would like some sushi you can try Mikado.

All these are downtown. There is a good tenderloin sandwich place which is kind of iconic for Indiana. Forgot where it is though.

The Workingman's Friend.

The Red Key Tavern is a great dive bar to check out. It was in the movie Going All the Way. North of downtown towards Broad Ripple on College Avenue I believe.

Coltsalr 11-14-2018 07:15 PM

Our third world friend returns!

Just don’t wear any of that Patriots Super Bowl 52 champs gear that World Vision brought down to your country in February and you should be fine!

Coltsalr 11-14-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 91812)
The Workingman's Friend.

The Red Key Tavern is a great dive bar to check out. It was in the movie Going All the Way. North of downtown towards Broad Ripple on College Avenue I believe.

Whistle Stop is my personal favorite dive bar in downtown Indy.

YDFL Commish 11-14-2018 07:29 PM

Which bar is it that McAfee was hanging at before he decided to take the canal plunge?

JAFF 11-14-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 91812)
The Workingman's Friend.

Workingman's Friend will be open on Saturday until 3 pm. They DO NOT take a credit card, need cash. Not open on sunday.

JAFF 11-14-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 91819)
Which bar is it that McAfee was hanging at before he decided to take the canal plunge?

The one next to the canal.

:p

JAFF 11-14-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChileColts (Post 91747)
that would be awesome...thanks !!

Here's the link for visitors:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/

It's terrific air museum. They have an original Wright (Bros) flyer to a space shuttel and an Apollo space capsule.

Here's the thing, it's on the Wright Pattersen air base. So they have military security and they have rules.

Quote:

Please note that for security reasons, all bags are subject to search, and weapons are not permitted within the museum. In addition, all adults may be asked to show their picture identification card upon entering the museum.
I would recommend going through the web site and check out the info there. By the way, you can spend a full day there. I go there often because the grandsons live 30 minutes away. It's A LOT of walking, and they have added more planes.

Oh and for anyone else, they have the Memphis Belle on display.

Pez 11-14-2018 07:44 PM

What do you mean I cant have a martini? I've had a martini at every bar on this block....

Pez 11-14-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 91822)
Here's the link for visitors:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/

It's terrific air museum. They have an original Wright (Bros) flyer to a space shuttel and an Apollo space capsule.

Here's the thing, it's on the Wright Pattersen air base. So they have military security and they have rules.

I would recommend going through the web site and check out the info there. By the way, you can spend a full day there. I go there often because the grandsons live 30 minutes away. It's A LOT of walking, and they have added more planes.

Oh and for anyone else, they have the Memphis Belle on display.

Wright pat is a fantastic museum... your posts about it brought back some memories of visiting there when I was a kid

Phelanka7 11-14-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 91819)

Probably the Alley Cat.

omahacolt 11-14-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

ChileColts

Sorry about that man.

I don’t mean anything by it. I just like to fuck around. One of these days I might mature a bit but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you.

Hope you have a great time and tell us about your experience. Preferably with a translator.

1965southpaw 11-14-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 91817)

Just don’t wear any of that Patriots Super Bowl 52 champs gear that World Vision brought down to your country in February and you should be fine!

If you have an old 87 jersey wear that. They are inducting Reggie into the ring of honor and there should be a lot of people sporting the. 87. You will fit right in.

omahacolt 11-14-2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 91737)
o

Then he's accomplishing what he wants to.

That's not an insult to you nor a compliment to him, just a fact.

o

Well I took it as a compliment.

Chromeburn 11-15-2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 91817)

Chile has come a long way the last couple decades. It should be a 1st world country soon, believe it has the best economy of all Latin countries now.

JAFF 11-15-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 91848)
Sorry about that man.

I don’t mean anything by it. I just like to fuck around. One of these days I might mature a bit but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you.

Hope you have a great time and tell us about your experience. Preferably with a translator.

No one is holding their breath on that one.

He guy is learning English so he can follow the Colts. He's spending a chunck of change to fly across the Equator to see them. The best day ever is when he learns to tell you to "shut up fag".

southside asshole 11-15-2018 12:16 PM

Good suggestions here for food.

Do you like beer? Indy has a freaking ton of great craft breweries to visit if that's your bag. I can provide a ranked list along with suggestions for nearby food if you're interested.

NextManUp 11-15-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

ChileColts

Just out of curiosity, what caused you to become a Colts fan?

GoBigBlue88 11-15-2018 11:46 PM

You really can't go wrong with downtown Indy anymore. When I was a kid, it was all Steak N Shake and such. A lot of really cool, if overpriced, original and local places to eat and drink now.

JMO, ask anyone from Indy and their opinion will vary...

BEST BURGERS: Tie for me between Bru Burger and Burger Study (both downtown!)

BEST THING THAT'S NOT A BURGER: The pork tenderloin at Steer-Inn. Don't listen to anyone who tells you Mug N Bun is a thing. That's what the dorks who watch Guy Fieri shows and never actually go downtown think. Steer Inn is far better, and a really good neighborhood representation of the city IMO because it's in between like 3 different socioeconomic spheres.

BEST ITALIAN: Mama Carolla's, which is a little north of downtown (what my dude Derek Schultz would call the Midtown area)

BEST DRINKS: Depends on what you're into. If you're a beer guy, check out Sun King for sure. If cocktails are your thing, you really can't go wrong anywhere in Fountain Square or Mass Ave. I like Thunderbird most myself.

BEST CHEAPER FOOD: I think the prices may have gone up recently but the fact that Pearl Street Pizza serves pizza by the slice as good as anything else I've had in Indy used to be my best kept food secret downtown.

BEST THING TO DO BESIDES COLTS GAME: A Pacers game! Hell, you can sit lower level for half the price of a nosebleed seat at a Colts game. It's fun just to walk around Bankers Life itself, and Pacers are a pretty good team this year (starting slow though).

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT INDY:

1. There is no real public transportation here, unfortunately. Blame years of foot-dragging on a light rail system. I would recommend renting a car. If you don't, though, there are enough Uber and Lyft drivers to get you where you wanna go. TAXIS AREN'T REALLY A THING IN INDY. That caught a lot of people off guard during the Super Bowl, I know. You're not gonna hail a cab in Indy really. Be prepared to use your phone if not driving.

2. Our downtown interstate passthroughs are a fucking mess right now, to the point where people are debating an underground passthrough at this point. Don't be surprised if something is obnoxiously closed or under construction. That's what happens when you have no public transportation and a billion interstates that all interact with a downtown area.

3. Indy is a super safe city, but you'll probably run into some panhandlers or homeless people. No biggie. Don't engage the crazies and you'll be good. I've never had an issue walking around downtown at night. Shit, I walked through the Virginia Ave underpass homeless camp at night once to cut over to Mass Ave and no one bothered me. Northsiders would probably tell you to be careful, but honestly Indy south of 10th Street, east of the White River and inside the 465 belt is as safe as big cities get.

4. If it's really cold, Indy is also a really interconnected city. The convention center connects directly with Lucas Oil now, and there are like a dozen hotels that connect with the convention center, so you can pretty much Skywalk from most downtown locations into Lucas Oil without ever going outside. Or you can not be a pussy too.

5. People in Indy are super nice. Hoosier hospitality is a real thing. If you find a cool-looking tailgate and tell them you came from Chile to see the Colts, guarantee they'll offer you free food and drinks.

But also: football games are football games, so be prepared to see a lot of white trash people who say and do dumb shit, just like you do at any NFL stadium. They're just fatter in the Midwest.

Racehorse 11-16-2018 07:38 AM

Chile, I hope you take note of how we deal with anything political and avoid any such topics while here unless you want to ruin your tailgate by arguing about politics.

smitty46953 11-16-2018 11:40 AM

How did this turn political ? :cool:

Puck 11-16-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 92041)
How did this turn political ? :cool:

Exactly. People are ruining Chile post. I’ll just move all those posts to the other thread

Puck 11-16-2018 01:42 PM

BTW Chile We will be at the game also...

Wyatt 11-16-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 92061)
BTW Chile We will be at the game also...

Section 223 every week here

1965southpaw 11-16-2018 06:06 PM

I will be there rocking the 87 Jersey! Reg-gie, Reg-gie!!!!

YDFL Commish 11-16-2018 10:45 PM

I would add, that if you are staying downtown, you can walk to a lot of the places listed in the previous posts.

I would actually say that walking and Uber would be the preferred methods of transportation.