ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Quick Thoughts - Week 4 (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168874)

ChoppedWood 10-02-2023 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 277383)
He hasnt been game ready for over a year. Keep him, one of the LBs will get hurt, miss a game, land on the short term injury list. He is a solid vet who can step in and play.

He is a positive force on the field and in practice and in the locker room.

I do not understand why fans obsess about the cap. Its not their money, get over it. Has Ballard ever run out of cash during a season?

Haven't seen it but talking about on radio, he is apparently skirmishing with fans over their criticism of him on X. Not good.

ChaosTheory 10-02-2023 06:02 PM

Leonard hasn't been bad like some people imply. He just hasn't returned to pre-surgery form, which is to say, his nearly $20m/yr worth.

If he only ever gets back to Starting-LB caliber, that's fine in a vacuum... you just can't pay a Starting-LB an All-Pro salary.

JAFF 10-02-2023 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory (Post 277390)
Leonard hasn't been bad like some people imply. He just hasn't returned to pre-surgery form, which is to say, his nearly $20m/yr worth.

If he only ever gets back to Starting-LB caliber, that's fine in a vacuum... you just can't pay a Starting-LB an All-Pro salary.

Sure you can, show Taylor the door. The team can do what ever they want.

IndyNorm 10-02-2023 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 277406)
Sure you can, show Taylor the door. The team can do what ever they want.

Not if you want to field a competitive team. We already allowed someone who is currently better than Leonard walk b/c of Leonard's contract (Okereke). Franklin has played his way into getting paid. You going to not extend him and ultimately let him walk in order to keep Leonard? That might work out ok if Leonard is back to his old self. But if he remains JAG then that's a horrible decision.

Also, on top of JT (if he has indeed removed his head out of his agent's ass) Grover, MPJ, Moore, and Blackmon are all FAs at the end of the season. That $12M we'd save towards the cap will definitely come in handy when trying to re-sign some of those guys.

Give Leonard the season to see if he can turn the corner towards becoming his old self. Maybe even some of the offseason as well. But t if he doesn't progress then it's best for the team to let him go. Sucks if this happens, but would be best for the team. Just like it was in '08 when we let Marvin go.

Racehorse 10-02-2023 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 277410)
Not if you want to field a competitive team. We already allowed someone who is currently better than Leonard walk b/c of Leonard's contract (Okereke). Franklin has played his way into getting paid. You going to not extend him and ultimately let him walk in order to keep Leonard? That might work out ok if Leonard is back to his old self. But if he remains JAG then that's a horrible decision.

Also, on top of JT (if he has indeed removed his head out of his agent's ass) Grover, MPJ, Moore, and Blackmon are all FAs at the end of the season. That $12M we'd save towards the cap will definitely come in handy when trying to re-sign some of those guys.

Give Leonard the season to see if he can turn the corner towards becoming his old self. Maybe even some of the offseason as well. But t if he doesn't progress then it's best for the team to let him go. Sucks if this happens, but would be best for the team. Just like it was in '08 when we let Marvin go.

If he can get back to creating turnovers, there is no way you release him.

IndyNorm 10-02-2023 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 277415)
If he can get back to creating turnovers, there is no way you release him.

Of course. Like I said. Give him the rest of the season and maybe part of the offseason to see if he starts getting back to being his old self.

Butter 10-02-2023 11:10 PM

Quote:

He hasnt been game ready for over a year. Keep him, one of the LBs will get hurt, miss a game, land on the short term injury list. He is a solid vet who can step in and play.

He is a positive force on the field and in practice and in the locker room.

I do not understand why fans obsess about the cap. Its not their money, get over it. Has Ballard ever run out of cash during a season?

It is stupid to ignore cap implications, it is a huge aspect of team building. So far Leonard has not been a force at anything, what ever this locker room presence is I doubt it is worth 20 million. I don't think many are seriously implying we should cut him right now, but if by the end of the season he is not playing at an all-pro level it would be stupid to not release him, great locker room BS or not.

Chaka 10-03-2023 12:14 AM

Quote:

Here’s why you should care: in a hard salary cap environment, overpaying one player will limit or even eliminate a team’s ability to sign other players.

JAFF 10-03-2023 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 277423)
It is stupid to ignore cap implications, it is a huge aspect of team building. So far Leonard has not been a force at anything, what ever this locker room presence is I doubt it is worth 20 million. I don't think many are seriously implying we should cut him right now, but if by the end of the season he is not playing at an all-pro level it would be stupid to not release him, great locker room BS or not.

I dont ignore the cap. I dont really care. Thats Ballards problem. And I’m GUESSING that at the end of year three of the Richardson experiment, the team isnt in the playoffs, there will be a new coach and GM. 50-50.

JAFF 10-03-2023 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 277427)
Here’s why you should care: in a hard salary cap environment, overpaying one player will limit or even eliminate a team’s ability to sign other players.

1. Its not my money
2. I cant do anything about it

I got bigger worries that do have ramifications in my life.