ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts first UFA WR Devin Funchess (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69149)

Pez 03-12-2019 09:41 AM

I like this signing, 6'4" is perfect across from Hilton. I think Patullo had a rough start this year and got his squad in order around the drop business.

https://twitter.com/TheStable_Pod/st...33087004884993

The dollars are high, but I'm guessing that this might have been the only way to get someone like Funchess to sign a 1 year deal this early in FA.

And I fucking hate his name.

Brylok 03-12-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discflinger (Post 112487)
Interesting. Fun-Fun fits in the locker room. I think he steps up.

"They" meaning the Panthers fans, not Ballard and Reich. Just to clarify

Chaka 03-12-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 112482)
I absolutely believe Funches wants to prove his worth. That’s kinda my point.

Why wouldn’t he sign a guy to a one year incentive laden contract? He has to spend some money and this allows him to keep all that flexibility for next year. And he can wait on Cain, a rookie, or both.

There is nothing about the signing that says it’s a long term solution. Ballard constantly says he wants to build thru the draft. This fits perfectly with that. Could he be a long term solution? Possibly. But it requires him performing at a level that shows him as viable solution, but not so good that he gets priced out of the Colts range. That’s a pretty narrow window IMO. It’s way more likely that he either doesn’t perform well enough or he performs too well. In which case next year several of you will be asking who can blame Ballard for not giving crazy money to a WR after only one good year when he’s given way to much money by Washington or Oakland or Buffalo or the Jets.

Understood, those are some reasonable points, and I’ll admit that I don’t feel I completely understand this signing. On the one hand, I don’t see it as a “placeholder” type signing as you described it, because (1) Funchess was signed on the first negotiating day, so we obviously targeted him, (2) the dollar amount of the contract is high, and (3) he fills a specific position of need (big bodied outside receiver)

On the other hand, it’s also curious because we haven’t committed to him long term, and we didn’t get any option years, so those items support your argument. The lack of option years is notable in particular and unusual for Ballard except, as I’m sure you’ll point out, for Grant last year (and Slauson if I recall). However, neither of those deals was nearly as high profile as this signing, and both of those players were signed deep in the free agent period when the Colts had much more leverage. This might also be the only one-year deal announced yesterday, so it's unusual in that sense as well.

So I can’t quite figure it out. My best guess is that the Colts are suspicious of free agent wide receivers, having been burned by several over the last few years (Grant, Andre Johnson, Kamar Aiken, etc) and thus feel that it would be better to bring someone in for one year to see if they fit before making a long term commitment. If they do, it will end up costing them a bit more, but if it doesn’t work out they don’t get stuck in a large, long term, unproductive contract. However, this one year strategy wouldn’t be appealing to the uppermost tier of free agents who have the leverage to secure a long term guaranteed deal, but might be attractive to a slightly lesser free agent like Funchess who could have the hope of getting a big time deal next year with a productive 2019.

So, while all of this is just a guess of course, it really doesn’t feel like a placeholder-type signing to me. And I’ll admit that it is a little perplexing. Regardless, I’m still excited about this signing following the relative success of last year’s free agent crop. Funchess is a big-bodied 25 year old receiver who is heading into (rather than out of) his prime years, and Ballard has proven to be a strong talent evaluator – both in the draft and free agency. So I think there’s reasonable grounds to expect Funchess to play well and prove to be an asset to our team.

Oldcolt 03-12-2019 10:46 AM

Unlike past seasons I believe Ballard AND Reich/coaching staff made this decision together and already know exactly how they want to use Funchess. Time will tell of course, but given the track record of this administration I believe that they have a plan and a large receiver like Funchess fits that plan.

I also don't think we overpaid or if we did it was not by much. Didn't Moncrief get almost 10 million with a couple more million in incentives? These wr's make a ton of money now a days.

Butter 03-12-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 112594)
I also don't think we overpaid or if we did it was not by much. Didn't Moncrief get almost 10 million with a couple more million in incentives? These wr's make a ton of money now a days.

you are correct. 1 yr 9.6 with a 4 million signing bonus.

VeveJones007 03-12-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 112557)
I still say that this team could’ve been been better off signing either Tate, Humphries or Crowder and there’s some opportunity cost left on the table by not pursuing a guy with higher upside.

That said, if they do draft AJ Brown then I’ll happily shut up.

You're just going by name recognition and aren't considering traits. The Colts didn't sign any of those guys because they were looking for a big, strong WR with a large catch radius who can win on in-cutting routes and back shoulder throws. That's what Ballard and Reich want and that's what Funchess offers them.

Colt Classic 03-12-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 112557)
I still say that this team could’ve been been better off signing either Tate, Humphries or Crowder and there’s some opportunity cost left on the table by not pursuing a guy with higher upside.

That said, if they do draft AJ Brown then I’ll happily shut up.

I'll take odds on that not happening.

VeveJones007 03-12-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 112594)
Unlike past seasons I believe Ballard AND Reich/coaching staff made this decision together and already know exactly how they want to use Funchess. Time will tell of course, but given the track record of this administration I believe that they have a plan and a large receiver like Funchess fits that plan.

If people had watched more of Reich's offenses with the Chargers and Eagles, they would see how badly he wants some bigger receivers.

We already saw how quickly he wants to get the ball out of his QBs hands last year. What happens when teams press your smaller WRs like the Jags and Chiefs did effectively late last year? They shut down your offense. With a guy like Funchess, you give yourself a better opportunity to beat those coverages.

Coltsalr 03-12-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 112597)
You're just going by name recognition and aren't considering traits. The Colts didn't sign any of those guys because they were looking for a big, strong WR with a large catch radius who can win on in-cutting routes and back shoulder throws. That's what Ballard and Reich want and that's what Funchess offers them.

Actually, particularly with Humphries, I thought that his quick twitch ability to get open quickly would fit well with Reich’s hope or quick release passes.

It’d be nice if Funchess could do what you’re saying, but I’m skeptical to say the least.

Chromeburn 03-12-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 112571)
I like this signing, 6'4" is perfect across from Hilton. I think Patullo had a rough start this year and got his squad in order around the drop business.

https://twitter.com/TheStable_Pod/st...33087004884993

The dollars are high, but I'm guessing that this might have been the only way to get someone like Funchess to sign a 1 year deal this early in FA.

And I fucking hate his name.

That damn video makes me sick.

The money is high, but i agree, was probably the only way he would take the deal.

Just to prepare everyone, Funchess drops the ball too. He isn’t known for his hands.

FatDT 03-12-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 112628)
The money is high, but i agree, was probably the only way he would take the deal.

I don't understand why someone like Funchess would have any leverage.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme as long as signings like this don't become a habit. It seems like a bad contract to me. If he sucks, or even if he's OK but not great, then we just paid $10M+ for yet another disappointing/trash WR2. If he plays well, then Ballard has put himself in a bad position to re-sign him.

Chromeburn 03-12-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 112636)
I don't understand why someone like Funchess would have any leverage.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme as long as signings like this don't become a habit. It seems like a bad contract to me. If he sucks, or even if he's OK but not great, then we just paid $10M+ for yet another disappointing/trash WR2. If he plays well, then Ballard has put himself in a bad position to re-sign him.

He doesn’t have any leverage, and it is a bad contract. I would say he is worth half that. He is a stopgap till our own draft picks develop. I bet they draft a big WR in the draft now. He could probably get a multi year deal somewhere else for less money if he waited. He should put up better numbers fitting a niche in our offense for certain routes. Unless he absolutely dominates, I doubt we have any intention of resigning him.

We aren’t going to spend much money again. We tried for Amos and Smith and got outbid again. So 10 million is nothing this year.

FatDT 03-12-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 112638)
We aren’t going to spend much money again. We tried for Amos and Smith and got outbid again. So 10 million is nothing this year.

I agree it is nothing. It just seems really inconsistent with Ballard's approach. I don't see much upside. The floor is a D+/C- and the ceiling is maybe a B- or B.

If Desir goes to another team for a "reasonable" overpay this move will look that much dumber.

rcubed 03-12-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 112656)
I agree it is nothing. It just seems really inconsistent with Ballard's approach. I don't see much upside. The floor is a D+/C- and the ceiling is maybe a B- or B.

If Desir goes to another team for a "reasonable" overpay this move will look that much dumber.

how does one affect the other?

Chaka 03-12-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 112638)
He doesn’t have any leverage, and it is a bad contract. I would say he is worth half that. He is a stopgap till our own draft picks develop. I bet they draft a big WR in the draft now. He could probably get a multi year deal somewhere else for less money if he waited. He should put up better numbers fitting a niche in our offense for certain routes. Unless he absolutely dominates, I doubt we have any intention of resigning him.

He reached an agreement on the first day, so it's fair to say he was probably overpaid. That said, the truth is that you have no idea how much leverage he had in these negotiations. First, you don't know what other teams might have been pursuing him. Second, he agreed to sign a one-year deal on the first day, so he'll need to be paid for that. Third, he's 25 years old, has elite size, and is a former 2nd round pick who started for a playoff team - most of the other free agent WRs are much older and on the downside of their careers. He's not perfect, but he's got value.

VeveJones007 03-12-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 112615)
Actually, particularly with Humphries, I thought that his quick twitch ability to get open quickly would fit well with Reich’s hope or quick release passes.

It’d be nice if Funchess could do what you’re saying, but I’m skeptical to say the least.

Based on what?

Coltsalr 03-12-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 112674)
Based on what?

That I’m skeptical that Funchess’ numbers will elevate? The fact that he’s never done it before.

Oldcolt 03-12-2019 04:01 PM

I totally understand why people would be skeptical. My optimism is not based on Funchess himself. Yes he has great physical attributes. He hasn't turned himself into a player to match those attributes so far. My faith is not in him but in Reich and the coaching staff. They seem to be able to put players in position to due whatever it is that that particular player is best at. They also show patience in working things out. Remember the offensive play calling the first part of last year. It evolved as the team began to come together. Even though they were losing, no panic. I really believe this is a damn good coaching staff and that fuels my optimism about this signing.

VeveJones007 03-12-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 112683)
I totally understand why people would be skeptical. My optimism is not based on Funchess himself. Yes he has great physical attributes. He hasn't turned himself into a player to match those attributes so far. My faith is not in him but in Reich and the coaching staff. They seem to be able to put players in position to due whatever it is that that particular player is best at. They also show patience in working things out. Remember the offensive play calling the first part of last year. It evolved as the team began to come together. Even though they were losing, no panic. I really believe this is a damn good coaching staff and that fuels my optimism about this signing.

I would put it this way: Funchess has physical abilities that I trust Reich to maximize and use to great effect.

rm1369 03-12-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 112581)
Understood, those are some reasonable points, and I’ll admit that I don’t feel I completely understand this signing. On the one hand, I don’t see it as a “placeholder” type signing as you described it, because (1) Funchess was signed on the first negotiating day, so we obviously targeted him, (2) the dollar amount of the contract is high, and (3) he fills a specific position of need (big bodied outside receiver)

On the other hand, it’s also curious because we haven’t committed to him long term, and we didn’t get any option years, so those items support your argument. The lack of option years is notable in particular and unusual for Ballard except, as I’m sure you’ll point out, for Grant last year (and Slauson if I recall). However, neither of those deals was nearly as high profile as this signing, and both of those players were signed deep in the free agent period when the Colts had much more leverage. This might also be the only one-year deal announced yesterday, so it's unusual in that sense as well.

So I can’t quite figure it out. My best guess is that the Colts are suspicious of free agent wide receivers, having been burned by several over the last few years (Grant, Andre Johnson, Kamar Aiken, etc) and thus feel that it would be better to bring someone in for one year to see if they fit before making a long term commitment. If they do, it will end up costing them a bit more, but if it doesn’t work out they don’t get stuck in a large, long term, unproductive contract. However, this one year strategy wouldn’t be appealing to the uppermost tier of free agents who have the leverage to secure a long term guaranteed deal, but might be attractive to a slightly lesser free agent like Funchess who could have the hope of getting a big time deal next year with a productive 2019.

So, while all of this is just a guess of course, it really doesn’t feel like a placeholder-type signing to me. And I’ll admit that it is a little perplexing. Regardless, I’m still excited about this signing following the relative success of last year’s free agent crop. Funchess is a big-bodied 25 year old receiver who is heading into (rather than out of) his prime years, and Ballard has proven to be a strong talent evaluator – both in the draft and free agency. So I think there’s reasonable grounds to expect Funchess to play well and prove to be an asset to our team.

If they want to evaluate the fit that’s fine, but they should have required a 2nd year team option. Yes, I get that Funchess may not want that, but if he wouldn’t agree to a 2nd year at $13m that tells me he’s looking to get paid. That’s fine, but it doesn’t bode well for him being retained long term. Yes I admit it’s possible. However seeing the money being thrown around by teams how confident are you that if Ebron was on a one year deal that he would be retained after the season he had? After the things he went thru in Detroit he seems to be appreciate what he has here, but would he turn down being the highest paid TE in the league. It’s certainly possible he’d get that kind of offer. If not highest paid, then certainly top 3. Would Ballard be willing to commit that kind of money to Ebron after one year? I doubt it. The 2nd year on Ebron’s contract is huge right now.

Ballard should have required a 2nd year team option. If they are that high on him then they should have bought the 2nd year with more money this year or a partial gaurentee next year. This is a great deal for Funchess, but is very very likely a one year rental for the Colts.

FatDT 03-12-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 112658)
how does one affect the other?

Because Funchess has proven nothing and has no roots in the team. Desir proved himself this past year. Overspending on Funchess but letting Desir walk would be a waste of the investment the Colts put into him.

Oldcolt 03-12-2019 04:35 PM

I respectfully disagree. Funchess has not had great success yet. If he gets it here both sides will be motivated to stay put. Ballard will sign him at what the market says his value is, something that cannot reasonably be determined right now. Funchess will sign because A)the Colts will pay him what he is worth and B) He will like being good. If he sucks it is a one year rental.

Oldcolt 03-12-2019 04:38 PM

I agree about Desir. Unless someone way overpays him he should be back with the Colts. If he isn't scratch what I've said about keeping Funchess long term.

VeveJones007 03-12-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 112704)
Because Funchess has proven nothing and has no roots in the team. Desir proved himself this past year. Overspending on Funchess but letting Desir walk would be a waste of the investment the Colts put into him.

Huh? :confused:

rcubed 03-12-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 112704)

I get what you are saying bu twe dont know what happened regarding talks with desir. he is getting older so I can see the team being a bit cautious with a longer term contract. Desir has never had a better opportunity to get a big contract and probably wanted to maximize his most likely obly big contract.

point being, it could be desir driving the desire not to sign until he sees his options. ballard has his number and if desir can get more then all the power to him.

Luck4Reich 03-12-2019 05:52 PM

Not all WRs are successful right away... Reggie Wayne didnt start putting up numbers until his 4th year.. hell I remember a lot of Colts fans were starting to get down on him.

Also Funchess and Wayne's 3rd year numbers were pretty close if I remember correctly stat wise.

Luck4Reich 03-12-2019 05:57 PM

I'm looking forward to see what he can do in Reichs offense with Luck throwing to him.

Chromeburn 03-12-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 112659)
He reached an agreement on the first day, so it's fair to say he was probably overpaid. That said, the truth is that you have no idea how much leverage he had in these negotiations. First, you don't know what other teams might have been pursuing him. Second, he agreed to sign a one-year deal on the first day, so he'll need to be paid for that. Third, he's 25 years old, has elite size, and is a former 2nd round pick who started for a playoff team - most of the other free agent WRs are much older and on the downside of their careers. He's not perfect, but he's got value.

He's slow, got iffy hands (iffy is a compliment), has trouble separating from CB's in his routes, and his best year was his rookie year. His old team didn't want him, they even deactivated him for their last game despite being healthy. As free agents go, he wasn't rated near the top of any list I can find. Not even in the WR rankings. Did we really need to sign him day one? If you have leverage, you don't sign one year deals. If you have teams competing for your services, you don't sign one year deals. He hasn't lived up to his draft pick. At least Ebron was a top ten pick and has excellent athleticism for his size and position.

If we believed in him why sign him for one year? He is a stop gap.

And he is 24.

Luck4Reich 03-12-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 112740)
He's slow, got iffy hands (iffy is a compliment), has trouble separating from CB's in his routes, and his best year was his rookie year. His old team didn't want him, they even deactivated him for their last game despite being healthy. As free agents go, he wasn't rated near the top of any list I can find. Not even in the WR rankings. Did we really need to sign him day one? If you have leverage, you don't sign one year deals. If you have teams competing for your services, you don't sign one year deals. He hasn't lived up to his draft pick. At least Ebron was a top ten pick and has excellent athleticism for his size and position.

And he is 24.

True he wasnt a top 50 anywhere I saw.

I remain hopeful

omahacolt 03-12-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 112559)
Obviously Ballard, Reich, and their scouting staff wanted him, so let's wait and see why.

Fuck that

Let’s make predictions and discuss it now. Not next year

Dam8610 03-12-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck (Post 112746)
True he wasnt a top 50 anywhere I saw.

I remain hopeful

Nfl.com had him at 44.

Luck4Reich 03-12-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 112749)
Nfl.com had him at 44.

I missed that one

VeveJones007 03-12-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 112747)
Fuck that

Let’s make predictions and discuss it now. Not next year

50 catches, 750 yards, 8 TDs

Luck4Reich 03-12-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 112798)

2 things...

1. 10 mil doesn't buy much in the NFL
2. I sure hope those numbers dont get him the other 3 mil in incentives.

Colt Classic 03-12-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 112798)

35 catches, 334 yards, 1 TD

...oh sorry, that's Ryan Grant from last year...make it 4 TD's then.

although 42/715/5 is John Brown from last season at 5 mil...Bills got him.

Luck4Reich 03-12-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 112809)
35 catches, 334 yards, 1 TD

...oh sorry, that's Ryan Grant from last year...make it 4 TD's then.

If that's all he does someone needs to rip Funchess arms off and beat Ballard to death with them!

Chaka 03-12-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 112740)

And he is 24.

Thanks, I know he’s currently 24, but he’ll be 25 when the season arrives, which is the most useful way to look at it in my opinion. As far as the rest of your post, my point was that you have no idea what leverage he had. The circumstances suggest he had a decent amount of leverage given the amount they paid for him - unless you believe that Ballard suddenly became a pushover. And you sign a one year deal even if you have other teams in the mix if you get paid enough to do so.

Chaka 03-13-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 112687)
If they want to evaluate the fit that’s fine, but they should have required a 2nd year team option. Yes, I get that Funchess may not want that, but if he wouldn’t agree to a 2nd year at $13m that tells me he’s looking to get paid. That’s fine, but it doesn’t bode well for him being retained long term. Yes I admit it’s possible. However seeing the money being thrown around by teams how confident are you that if Ebron was on a one year deal that he would be retained after the season he had? After the things he went thru in Detroit he seems to be appreciate what he has here, but would he turn down being the highest paid TE in the league. It’s certainly possible he’d get that kind of offer. If not highest paid, then certainly top 3. Would Ballard be willing to commit that kind of money to Ebron after one year? I doubt it. The 2nd year on Ebron’s contract is huge right now.

Ballard should have required a 2nd year team option. If they are that high on him then they should have bought the 2nd year with more money this year or a partial gaurentee next year. This is a great deal for Funchess, but is very very likely a one year rental for the Colts.

Yep, agreed on the option - I'm surprised there weren't option years attached. That would have made a lot more sense to me. So, while I'm hopeful about this signing, I can't deny that it's puzzling.

As far as your Ebron comparison, I don't think it's really fair. Ballard hasn't really been faced with losing a star player (and yes I'll call Ebron a star - he's high profile, productive and likeable) during his Colts tenure, so we don't know how he'll treat the situation. He's emphasized that he wants to "keep our own" players, and certainly there are less unknowns when you sign one of your own players to an extension rather than bringing in an outside free agent on a big deal. So I think there's reason to think he'd do his best to keep such players around if they are a good fit.

I suppose you could point to Desir, but we don't know what kind of money he was asking for - if it's another Rashaan Melvin situation, it would be hard to fault Ballard in my view.

VeveJones007 03-13-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 112868)
Yep, agreed on the option - I'm surprised there weren't option years attached. That would have made a lot more sense to me. So, while I'm hopeful about this signing, I can't deny that it's puzzling.

As far as your Ebron comparison, I don't think it's really fair. Ballard hasn't really been faced with losing a star player (and yes I'll call Ebron a star - he's high profile, productive and likeable) during his Colts tenure, so we don't know how he'll treat the situation. He's emphasized that he wants to "keep our own" players, and certainly there are less unknowns when you sign one of your own players to an extension rather than bringing in an outside free agent on a big deal. So I think there's reason to think he'd do his best to keep such players around if they are a good fit.

I suppose you could point to Desir, but we don't know what kind of money he was asking for - if it's another Rashaan Melvin situation, it would be hard to fault Ballard in my view.

Holder said that Funchess had a 2 year deal on the table from another team, but wanted a chance to do well in year 1 and hit the market again after next season. Funchess wasn't going to sign a deal with an option in it.

rm1369 03-13-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 112875)
Holder said that Funchess had a 2 year deal on the table from another team, but wanted a chance to do well in year 1 and hit the market again after next season. Funchess wasn't going to sign a deal with an option in it.

That tells me Funchess is trying to max out his value. Are you confident if he blows up and Washington, Buffalo, Oakland, etc start throwing money at him that Ballard will pay the necessary premium to keep him after only one year of that production?