ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   It's official - Colts name Shane Steichen as Head Coach (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158952)

Hoopsdoc 02-15-2023 05:48 AM

Interesting nugget from Steichens press conference was what he said he learned from Sirriani.

He said the biggest thing he learned from Sirianni was accountability. You have to hold guys accountable.

That’s interesting because Sirianni left after the 2020 season which coincides neatly with the beginning of the collapse of the offensive line and the general deterioration of the team as a whole.

Seems like maybe Nick was the only one busting ass around there.

ChaosTheory 02-15-2023 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 260093)
Interesting nugget from Steichens press conference was what he said he learned from Sirriani.

He said the biggest thing he learned from Sirianni was accountability. You have to hold guys accountable.

That’s interesting because Sirianni left after the 2020 season which coincides neatly with the beginning of the collapse of the offensive line and the general deterioration of the team as a whole.

I noted that as well. I'm convinced that the guys who thought Reich was fired for losing the locker room, as opposed to gameplan/system stuff, were right.

It wasn't Frank Reich's system, gameplanning, or him being a playcaller. Because Steichen comes from that tree and will be calling plays. I'm not even sure how much he was knocked for personnel moves, because Ballard is still here.

Between that, the rumors, and Leonard's public comments a few days ago... It all seems to come back to Reich being too mild-mannered.

JAFF 02-15-2023 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 260093)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ts-draft-hand/

This caught my eye, especially about craft

Quote:

“I think accuracy, decision-making and the ability to create are the three things I look at in a quarterback,” Steichen said. “Above the neck, I think the players I’ve been around — Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert and Philip Rivers — they all have one thing in common:

They’re obsessed with their craft. If you can find that in a quarterback, you’re probably going to have some success.”

YDFL Commish 02-15-2023 12:24 PM

Watch the Colts round table video with Steichen. It's much more impressive than the presser.

ChaosTheory 02-15-2023 12:32 PM

Man, it seems unlikely, but I went down a rabbit hole reading about Jeff Stoutland, the Eagles' OL coach since 2013. I wonder if Steichen is interested in bringing him to IND. Seems unlikely anyway, he's 61, Staten Island guy, good thing going in PHI. Only thing that would seem possible is if he promoted to OC, which isn't a stretch seeing as how he added "Running Game Coordinator" to his official title in 2018 after the Super Bowl.

It's not Gospel, but the Eagles' team OL grades on PFF since then are like multiple years at #1, #2, or top-5 with a random injury-plagued season at #19 sprinkled in.

Chromeburn 02-15-2023 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 260109)
Watch the Colts round table video with Steichen. It's much more impressive than the presser.

Where was that? Colts.com? I didn't see it.

Chromeburn 02-15-2023 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory (Post 260111)
Man, it seems unlikely, but I went down a rabbit hole reading about Jeff Stoutland, the Eagles' OL coach since 2013. I wonder if Steichen is interested in bringing him to IND. Seems unlikely anyway, he's 61, Staten Island guy, good thing going in PHI. Only thing that would seem possible is if he promoted to OC, which isn't a stretch seeing as how he added "Running Game Coordinator" to his official title in 2018 after the Super Bowl.

It's not Gospel, but the Eagles' team OL grades on PFF since then are like multiple years at #1, #2, or top-5 with a random injury-plagued season at #19 sprinkled in.

Stoutland probably won't leave. But the assistant oline coach has been there since 2019.

YDFL Commish 02-15-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 260116)
Where was that? Colts.com? I didn't see it.

Yes colts.com

ChaosTheory 02-15-2023 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 260117)
Stoutland probably won't leave. But the assistant oline coach has been there since 2019.

Yeah, Istvan is a more realistic get. Just not sure how much credit to assign to him since the Eagles and Stoutland had a stellar OL well before he got there.
Steichen would have a better idea, obviously. He was also an OC before.

Anxious to see where they go.

Discflinger 02-15-2023 07:33 PM

Popcorn