ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts Acquire DT DeForest Buckner (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97789)

Luck4Reich 03-16-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156327)
Who cares about $$$. Its not your money. Theres a lot of cap space and Irsay has an extra guitar to sell if it gets tight

They can free up some good space cutting Hoyer and Brisset if they sign a vet and then draft a QB.

nate505 03-16-2020 10:03 PM

I'm bummed that the first day of the draft won't be that exciting for me.

But that's it. This guy is elite, and never seems to miss games.

Mr. Session 03-16-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156325)
But there is a significant amount of risk with the trade too.

I hope Ballard and the FO did the math and believe this guy still has upward potential or that he can maintain elite level of play for the better part of the duration of his contract.

Also, It’s not like Buckner chose to come here in FA. I would be off put if I was a west coast kid who negotiated to stay in SF after working my ass off and now I’m going to the fucking Midwest and playing with a team that in large part is a question mark.

Is he the type of guy who is going to buy in regardless? Was he that guy but this changes him? What has Ballard seen outside of the tape that makes this a positive culture fit that matches not only the fiscal value of the contract but the potential value of a first round pick?

daedge 03-16-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 156254)
I freakin love this trade!!!!! Love it!!!!!

How long have we waited for Ballard to make a big move? Well 3 yrs... SO How long have we waited to have a dominate 3tech?

Exactly. Yet some will still moan about it.

Workhorse 03-16-2020 10:53 PM

Here’s a nice breakdown...

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/3/...is-a-superstar

Chromeburn 03-16-2020 11:25 PM

Well, I hate giving up that high of a pick, but I guess we just doubled the number of all-pros on the defense. And he is 26 so should be entering his prime.

Now we just need some better receivers and someone to throw them the ball.

Spike 03-16-2020 11:33 PM

The Colts are my number 1 team, no question about it. The 49ers are my second favorite team because my dad and son are die hard niner fans. So I watch a lot of 49er games, and Buckner is a beast. There will be no one as good as him at #13 in the draft. Great job by Ballard. Absolutely love this!

YDFL Commish 03-17-2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workhorse (Post 156345)

Seems he could line up at DR too. What a nice piece to have. Great job Ballard!

Chaka 03-17-2020 12:37 AM

I read elsewhere that this deal has been in the works since the Super Bowl.

Also, Mike Florio claims to have the contract numbers here:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-buckner-deal/

If this is true, then it's a five-year deal (I've heard it referenced as a four-year extension elsewhere - presumably in recognition of the fact that he was already under contract for next year prior to the trade). And it looks like the real guarantees are all in the first three years.

By the way, what's with this Mike Florio guy? I think he sucks. Seems to be a Patriot apologist, and always subtly putting down the Colts. After reading the article, you might come away with the impression that Buckner was a leftover player that the 49ers no longer wanted or needed following the Armstead signing - yet the idiot Colts were willing to spend a 1st and sign him to a mega contract.

rcubed 03-17-2020 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 156365)
By the way, what's with this Mike Florio guy? I think he sucks. Seems to be a Patriot apologist, and always subtly putting down the Colts.

Yes he is a pats homer and has always been snide towards the colts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironshaft 03-17-2020 06:22 AM

First 4 years, Aaron Donald (average per year):

51.0 tackles, 9.75 sacks, 10.5 TFL, 2.25 FF

First 4 years, DeForest Buckner (avrage per year):

65.5 tackles, 7.13 sacks, 5.0 TFL, 0.75 FF

Not quite the impact player Donald was stat-wise. However,

And if you are into the PFF thing, AD first, DB second

Year 1 = 90.2 / 71.6
Year 2 = 93.0 / 82.2
Year 3 = 92.6 / 79.3
Year 4 = 94.0 / 78.8

I have seen a lot of "analysis" saying that DB is trending like AD did in his first 4 years.

We are not getting Aarond Donald.

But, the DeForest Buckner we are getting, especially after reading/watching that Stampede Blue article on him, is pretty darn good.

I agree that we only "hope" that the #13 pick would turn into an impact player. Instead, Ballard went out and got a pretty much "for sure" impact player by trading the pick.

I am beginning to like the trade.

JAFF 03-17-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Session (Post 156337)
I hope Ballard and the FO did the math and believe this guy still has upward potential or that he can maintain elite level of play for the better part of the duration of his contract.

Also, It’s not like Buckner chose to come here in FA. I would be off put if I was a west coast kid who negotiated to stay in SF after working my ass off and now I’m going to the fucking Midwest and playing with a team that in large part is a question mark.

Is he the type of guy who is going to buy in regardless? Was he that guy but this changes him? What has Ballard seen outside of the tape that makes this a positive culture fit that matches not only the fiscal value of the contract but the potential value of a first round pick?

They extended his contract, so he won't be too sad

Racehorse 03-17-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 156294)
Possibly the most stupid statement ever made on this forum!

Well, it IS Dam...

Racehorse 03-17-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workhorse (Post 156345)

Dude beats quite a few double teams in the clips there.

Racehorse 03-17-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156385)
They extended his contract, so he won't be too sad

Also, it said that he was involved in the decision on a sign and trade. Looks like he bought in on the idea.

albany ed 03-17-2020 09:05 AM

This tells me that Ballard wants to win right now. That won't happen if Bressett is our QB, so he's gonna sign someone.

Luck4Reich 03-17-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 156404)
This tells me that Ballard wants to win right now. That won't happen if Bressett is our QB, so he's gonna sign someone.

My thought as well.

rm1369 03-17-2020 09:43 AM

I definitely like what I’ve seen on the contract terms. Very team friendly - front loaded with no huge prorated signing bonus that will come back to bite them down the road.

Seen this somewhere - Ballard has turned 4 first round picks into:

Malik Hooker
Quenton Nelson
Brandon Smith
Kemoko Turay
Rock Ya-Sin
Ben Banogu
Marvell Tell
Deforest Buckner
34th pick in 2020

I’ve definitely had my complaints, but I’d say that’s pretty good return. Just need a good QB now.

Chromeburn 03-17-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 156381)

Year 1 = 90.2 / 71.6
Year 2 = 93.0 / 82.2
Year 3 = 92.6 / 79.3
Year 4 = 94.0 / 78.8

I have seen a lot of "analysis" saying that DB is trending like AD did in his first 4 years.

But, the DeForest Buckner we are getting, especially after reading/watching that Stampede Blue article on him, is pretty darn good.

I agree that we only "hope" that the #13 pick would turn into an impact player. Instead, Ballard went out and got a pretty much "for sure" impact player by trading the pick.

Aaron Donald went 13 overall. But I’m warming to the idea we got a young all-pro at a position of need for 13.

Chromeburn 03-17-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156411)
I definitely like what I’ve seen on the contract terms. Very team friendly - front loaded with no huge prorated signing bonus that will come back to bite them down the road.

Seen this somewhere - Ballard has turned 4 first round picks into:

Malik Hooker
Quenton Nelson
Brandon Smith
Kemoko Turay
Rock Ya-Sin
Ben Banogu
Marvell Tell
Deforest Buckner
34th pick in 2020

I’ve definitely had my complaints, but I’d say that’s pretty good return. Just need a good QB now.

Probably need to draft one also. Can’t imagine they sign a guy and keep Hoyer and Brisset around. Will probably draft a project I imagine. Maybe one next year.

rm1369 03-17-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 156414)
Probably need to draft one also. Can’t imagine they sign a guy and keep Hoyer and Brisset around. Will probably draft a project I imagine. Maybe one next year.

My best guess - they sign Rivers, keep JB, draft Anthony Gordon.

Brylok 03-17-2020 09:58 AM

I've had a night to sleep on it and I still love the trade! Can't wait to see Buckner in action!

Puck 03-17-2020 10:00 AM

Yep. I’m still excited

smitty46953 03-17-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 156417)
I've had a night to sleep on it and I still love the trade! Can't wait to see Buckner in action!

Same here great trade for both teams. Can you imagine how many tackles Leonard and Walker will get now with Buckner demanding a double team? :eek:

Dam8610 03-17-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 156381)

Year 1 = 90.2 / 71.6
Year 2 = 93.0 / 82.2
Year 3 = 92.6 / 79.3
Year 4 = 94.0 / 78.8

Also, Donald's first 4 seasons were 23-26. Buckner is entering his age 26 season.

rcubed 03-17-2020 11:12 AM

Nice little breakdown of the contract

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/3/...kners-new-deal

HoosierinFL 03-17-2020 11:40 AM

Not worried about the contract, we have so much cap space that this does not affect anything. We can still sign our own as needed, and still have more than plenty of room to sign a handful of moderately priced free agents and even one more big price FA (like a QB) if needed.

rm1369 03-17-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 156503)
Not worried about the contract, we have so much cap space that this does not affect anything. We can still sign our own as needed, and still have more than plenty of room to sign a handful of moderately priced free agents and even one more big price FA (like a QB) if needed.

The concern wouldn’t be for the this year or next. It would be for 2-3 years from now as other guys contracts come up. Guys are going to want paid - especially if the team starts winning. That’s why the structure of the contract matters. And they are doing it right. Front loading and not using signing bonuses that are spread out over the life of the contract. When they need to move on from someone they will pay little penalty to do it. Sure it doesn’t matter much now, but it will.

Brylok 03-17-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 156420)
Same here great trade for both teams. Can you imagine how many tackles Leonard and Walker will get now with Buckner demanding a double team? :eek:

Yep and Houston will probably be more productive as well. DBs should get a few more interceptions. Love. It.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 03-17-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty46953 (Post 156420)

Saw this stat about double teams: :cool:

Most double teams faced as a pass rusher since 2016:

Kenny Clark - 221
Maliek Collins - 196
Aaron Donald - 195
DeForest Buckner - 194

BlueStampede 03-17-2020 01:54 PM

I have a chubby!

JAFF 03-17-2020 02:52 PM

TMI

A big bag of ice will cure that.

Chromeburn 03-17-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156547)
TMI

A big bag of ice will cure that.

Or a woman.

Chromeburn 03-17-2020 09:14 PM

So I heard on the radio. I guess some of the reasoning behind trading the pick for a veteran is corona virus. The Colts think group events will be canceled for awhile and that this will put rookies at a disadvantage. They will be behind on most things all year. So going with a young vet will help mitigate that. Can't say I can argue with that thinking.

JAFF 03-17-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 156710)
Or a woman.

Love an optimist

JAFF 03-17-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 156711)
So I heard on the radio. I guess some of the reasoning behind trading the pick for a veteran is corona virus. The Colts think group events will be canceled for awhile and that this will put rookies at a disadvantage. They will be behind on most things all year. So going with a young vet will help mitigate that. Can't say I can argue with that thinking.

Dumbest thing. Its football, not brain surgery

Workhorse 03-17-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 156713)
Dumbest thing. Its football, not brain surgery

It’s definitely going to have an impact. Probably no OTAs and possibly a shorter training camp. It’s not enough of a reason to make a trade, but it’s a reason to list with all the other reasons to possibly make a trade.

rm1369 03-17-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 156711)

I can understand it being an added benefit, but to factor it into the actual decision would be stupid. I certainly hope that wasn’t an actual part of their reasoning.

JAFF 03-17-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workhorse (Post 156720)
It’s definitely going to have an impact. Probably no OTAs and possibly a shorter training camp. It’s not enough of a reason to make a trade, but it’s a reason to list with all the other reasons to possibly make a trade.

These guys have been playing football since they were in middle school. And thinking that college kids are amateurs doesn’t make them less football players. Everybody has the same disadvantage a short in season. It’s a crapshoot but these guys except for rivers I’m going to have a long contract

Chromeburn 03-18-2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 156721)
I can understand it being an added benefit, but to factor it into the actual decision would be stupid. I certainly hope that wasn’t an actual part of their reasoning.

They said it was. The Colts believe they are close to winning a SB. They thought a vet could hit the ground running better than a rookie.