ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Quick thoughts on Giants-Colts (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63320)

Butter 12-23-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorgrim (Post 100554)
Some freaks torched Aunt Mary’s Happy House years ago.

Burnt it to the ground, then rebuilt it just so they could burn it down again so the story goes.

DrSpaceman 12-23-2018 11:40 PM

Most of the stuff was covered and I agree with. A tale of two halves. Or really one bad quarter and three good to mediocre ones.

Luck was just off to start the game. The one early throw downfield on 3rd down to Ebron just had no chance and he had an easier pass underneath, seemed like he got locked onto Ebron and looked nowhere else. Can't blame that one on Ebron. The INT, WTF? I don't know if he was throwing it away or he thought the WR/TE, I think it was Ebron again, was supposed to keep going. Even late, he got bailed out on the strip fumble with the penalty. Could see that coming the entire play.

The defense, this is what tells me they really are not an elite or even average pass D yet. Thank god OBJ did not play today or this could have been a blow out loss. Eli is no Peyton and is on a down year, but he is a veteran QB and was given time, able to pick apart an average secondary. Seemed like the Colts couldn't decide whether to rush him or play back in coverage. Although he did get bailed out twice on what I thought should have been grounding calls. No third down stops the first half, was just picking them apart.

I was at the game and that has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the late drives for the Giants it looked like Reich should have challenged a spot, seemed to be half a yard short on the RAC by the WR when he was down, but the refs gave him a first down around the 20. No red flag. Also on the fumble earlier in the game by Barkley, I thought he wad down, clearly, though he threw the red flag. That one could not be challenged for whatever reason. Being at the game though you don't have as much of a chance to view the replays.

TY Hilton. I would not argue he is the best WR in the game, but there is no better big play WR in the game than him. You need a big play, he is there. And today he passed 500 receptions and 8000 yards for his career. Next to the QB position, the Colts have been the most blessed at WR than anything else in the last 20 years between Harrison, Wayne and now TY Hilton

Ryan Grant, agree, WTF is he still on the team? What a waste. And while Rogers played well, beyond TY Hilton and Hines out of the backfield, it seems we have just a bunch of guys at WR. I mentioned on the Bell discussion thread, would much rather FA money be spent on WR than on signing Bell.

Ebron again with the drops, GREAT throw by Luck and he drops it downfield. Its feast or famine with him.

Also not sure if it was shown on the TV feed, three surprise guests :

Johnny Unitas Jr and Johnny Unitas III were at the game as honorary captains as part of the 60th anniversary of the Giants-Colts Championship game. Surprised me that his relatives would show up at an a game in Indianapolis like that. Not sure that would have happened 10 years ago

And Gary Hogeboom was there! I had literally forgot he was an the team, let alone that he was the QB of one of the division winning mediocre teams back in the mid-late 80s.

At the end of the day, its a win and with Pitt and Houston BOTH losing, a whole lot to play for in one week, primetime game, #256, last of the regular season for a playoff spot of some type. After a 1-5 start, even coming down to the last game of the season for a playoff spot is amazing.

omahacolt 12-23-2018 11:44 PM

1). This started out like a pagano game. Just inexcusable to come out that flat.

2). Chester was awesome today. Good for him. I agree that Grant can be cut now.

3). This defense has been benefiting from playing shitty qbs. Eli can torch a zone d with a clean pocket.

4). Safety play was atrocious. Defend a fucking pass

5). Man was walker missed.

6). Please draft me some defense

7). TY was looking like Marv out there at times. Love that dude.

8). Way too much confusion on defense before the snap.

9). Kelly is going to be a tough decision. Hope he can get healthy.

10). Good to see Mack strap on his big boy pants in pass protection.

11). Luck needs to use his feet more. Be smart and get down but make the defense think about him on the move

DrSpaceman 12-23-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 100442)
Thanks, excellent analysis as always. After a week of media adoration following their skunk job on the Cowboys, maybe the Colts started to believe their own press clippings and lost some of their focus - I don't know - but that was way too close for comfort. Heading into the Titans game next week, I'm hoping this will demonstrate to them that they can't let up.

And while I've been pretty vocal here about how much I like Ebron, I continue to see those plays where he makes an early decision to just completely shut off, and it bugs me. I saw that happen at least twice today - one on the Luck end zone interception. I realize that he had no hope of catching that ball, but it looked like it was directed at him, and he just basically stopped on the field when it went over his head. I would think it's just natural to run toward the ball in those circumstances, so I don't understand his reaction.

The other time was a little earlier in the game, when a pass sailed over his head on the left side of the field. If I recall, it was third down at the time, and Ebron didn't jump for it or even reach upwards. He just decided that it wasn't catchable and let it fly over his head. Again, maybe there was no hope, but I would have liked to have seen him at least make an effort. By comparison, my initial reaction on TY Hilton's 55 yard pass catch was that Luck had overthrown him, but to my surprise he reached out and managed to catch it by his fingertips.

That play by Ebron, he really didn't have a chance and that was the one I put on Luck, should not have thrown that ball. He was well covered too. Luck should have gone underneath.

bertjones 12-24-2018 12:14 AM

There was just no excuse for this team to sleepwalk the first quarter and
a half of this game. Doesn't reflect well on character or coaching and has to be
cleaned up. The defense made some pivotal stops down the stretch but was
pretty much owned by the Giants offense throughout the game- this is the
unit that needs to be heavily addressed in the draft. I thought Luck was a
stud. He missed a few throws and had that pick but he had a number of drops
and probably had the worst protection he's had this year but he persevered
and led his team up and down the field after the first quarter and was clutch
down the stretch. Yes you resign Kelly and Glowinski, after having a horseshit
line like forever you do NOT break up this unit.
This team has to play better next week but they are in a position to make the
playoffs which was unimaginable at the beginning of the season. Heady stuff.
And my voice is hoarse from watching, and shouting, at two heart stopping
games in a row. On to Tennesee.

Racehorse 12-24-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 100561)
Most of the stuff was covered and I agree with. A tale of two halves. Or really one bad quarter and three good to mediocre ones.

Luck was just off to start the game. The one early throw downfield on 3rd down to Ebron just had no chance and he had an easier pass underneath, seemed like he got locked onto Ebron and looked nowhere else. Can't blame that one on Ebron. The INT, WTF? I don't know if he was throwing it away or he thought the WR/TE, I think it was Ebron again, was supposed to keep going. Even late, he got bailed out on the strip fumble with the penalty. Could see that coming the entire play.

The defense, this is what tells me they really are not an elite or even average pass D yet. Thank god OBJ did not play today or this could have been a blow out loss. Eli is no Peyton and is on a down year, but he is a veteran QB and was given time, able to pick apart an average secondary. Seemed like the Colts couldn't decide whether to rush him or play back in coverage. Although he did get bailed out twice on what I thought should have been grounding calls. No third down stops the first half, was just picking them apart.

I was at the game and that has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the late drives for the Giants it looked like Reich should have challenged a spot, seemed to be half a yard short on the RAC by the WR when he was down, but the refs gave him a first down around the 20. No red flag. Also on the fumble earlier in the game by Barkley, I thought he wad down, clearly, though he threw the red flag. That one could not be challenged for whatever reason. Being at the game though you don't have as much of a chance to view the replays.

TY Hilton. I would not argue he is the best WR in the game, but there is no better big play WR in the game than him. You need a big play, he is there. And today he passed 500 receptions and 8000 yards for his career. Next to the QB position, the Colts have been the most blessed at WR than anything else in the last 20 years between Harrison, Wayne and now TY Hilton

Ryan Grant, agree, WTF is he still on the team? What a waste. And while Rogers played well, beyond TY Hilton and Hines out of the backfield, it seems we have just a bunch of guys at WR. I mentioned on the Bell discussion thread, would much rather FA money be spent on WR than on signing Bell.

Ebron again with the drops, GREAT throw by Luck and he drops it downfield. Its feast or famine with him.

Also not sure if it was shown on the TV feed, three surprise guests :

Johnny Unitas Jr and Johnny Unitas III were at the game as honorary captains as part of the 60th anniversary of the Giants-Colts Championship game. Surprised me that his relatives would show up at an a game in Indianapolis like that. Not sure that would have happened 10 years ago

And Gary Hogeboom was there! I had literally forgot he was an the team, let alone that he was the QB of one of the division winning mediocre teams back in the mid-late 80s.

At the end of the day, its a win and with Pitt and Houston BOTH losing, a whole lot to play for in one week, primetime game, #256, last of the regular season for a playoff spot of some type. After a 1-5 start, even coming down to the last game of the season for a playoff spot is amazing.

The stats I saw during the game contradict your point that Eli is having a down year. Highest completion rate, and lowest INT percentage.

DrSpaceman 12-24-2018 12:28 AM

Well looking it up, now I don't feel as bad about forgetting Gary Hogeboom. ANd I am not sure why he was there, unless Jack Trudeau they just did not want there because of his sketchy history with the law over the past decade.

Colts went 9-7 in 1987. Hogeboom was 4-2 as a starter and Trudeau 5-3.

And two of Hogebooms wins were against strike replacement player teams that season.

DrSpaceman 12-24-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 100568)
The stats I saw during the game contradict your point that Eli is having a down year. Highest completion rate, and lowest INT percentage.

Will take your word for it. Did not look up his stats, just going by all the talk of whether he is going to back for the Giants at QB next year

WaynesWorld87 12-24-2018 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 100361)

3. I don't get why Frank Reich totally abandoned the run today. I mean, I guess the Giants had some loaded boxes, but I think there were some creative ways to run at them. The Mack TD past the blitzing safety was a good example. Kinda felt like the offensive gameplan today was "uh, uh, Andrew, you make something happen!" Felt a bit Pagano-esque, IMO.

Pretty much sums up this game in a nutshell. The whole first half I kept thinking/feeling like this game felt way too similar to so many games under Pagano.

I was "done" and "quit" on this game more times than I'd ever like to admit. Unfortunately, admitting that you're "done" repeatedly on the internet means it's there permanently for others to read.

So, instead, I will humbly eat my crow and admit I'm proud that this team found a way to still pull out a win in the end.

Chaka 12-24-2018 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 100563)
That play by Ebron, he really didn't have a chance and that was the one I put on Luck, should not have thrown that ball. He was well covered too. Luck should have gone underneath.

Yep, Luck shouldn't have thrown it, so it's on him. My comment was just that Ebron literally stopped and made no effort to move in the direction of the overthrown ball. It was just weird and noticeable to me. It's like he make an instant mental determination that he can't catch the ball so he treats the play like its over even while the ball is still in the air.

The second incident was on the last play of the Colts' first series. I went back and looked at it again. Luck overthrew Ebron, and maybe he couldn't have get it, but he didn't leap or even reach up to take a stab at catching the ball. It's just really strange, and I've noticed it several times with Ebron this year. It sticks out, and to me it's a little red flag with him.