ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2017 Draft Thread (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1397)

Coltsalr 04-27-2017 11:19 AM

@HolderStephen
Disclaimer: This is NOT a prediction. However, I would advise you not to discount Forrest Lamp to the #Colts. Just a name I'm hearing.

I mean, I wouldn't TOTALLY hate the pick...

Wyatt 04-27-2017 11:28 AM

neither would I, I'd love to see Foster in the 1st, but never gonna see me bitch about protecting our franchise

Indiana V2 04-27-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 10870)
@HolderStephen
Disclaimer: This is NOT a prediction. However, I would advise you not to discount Forrest Lamp to the #Colts. Just a name I'm hearing.

I mean, I wouldn't TOTALLY hate the pick...

At #15? Or trading back and taking him?

FatDT 04-27-2017 11:50 AM

It's a safe pick. Nothing to lose my mind over. I'd be a little disappointed. But it's possible to get Lamp in the 1st and still get 2-4 impact defenders later in this draft. Especially if we get him later in the 1st with a trade back and get another 3rd rounder.

natagu23 04-27-2017 11:54 AM

How would you react to drafting T.J. Watt in the first?

sherck 04-27-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 10876)

I would love it.

I think he is just growing into the player that he could become, his athleticism is incredible and his work ethic is high.

IND trades 1-15 (1,050 pts) for TB 1-19 and 3-20 (1,045 pts).

IND trade 1-19 (875 pts) for HOU 1-25 and 3-25 (865 pts).

Use 1-25 to select T.J. Watt and then have 1 2nd round pick, 3 3rd round picks and 3 4th round picks to shore up CB, ILB, Safety and offensive positions.

Cheers,

Wyatt 04-27-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 10872)
At #15? Or trading back and taking him?

V2, fellow breather of smoke filled air, you going anywhere public to watch the draft or staying home? I'm debating on Bdubs or up to 4 winds

DrSpaceman 04-27-2017 02:58 PM

I'd be good with any help on the OL or DL.

Not sure he is worth a first round pick though, if that is what is being stated. IS he ranked that high?

Chromeburn 04-27-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 10876)

I would be ok with it. 15 is a little high. But at the end of the day if he is a good player, I don't care if he is a reach. I am starting to think Jordan Willis is the best ED?GE we can get, Polian was practically doing back flips talking about him.

Indiana V2 04-27-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt (Post 10881)
V2, fellow breather of smoke filled air, you going anywhere public to watch the draft or staying home? I'm debating on Bdubs or up to 4 winds

Staying home tonight. Grabbing some tacos to eat while watching​.

Indiana V2 04-27-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 10903)
I would be ok with it. 15 is a little high. But at the end of the day if he is a good player, I don't care if he is a reach. I am starting to think Jordan Willis is the best ED?GE we can get, Polian was practically doing back flips talking about him.

If there's one position Polian does know about it's edge rushers.

apballin 04-27-2017 07:29 PM

Said it before and I'm saying it again Foster or Lamp

DrSpaceman 04-27-2017 10:15 PM

Foster and Allen available and we pick a safety?

Please tell me this is not TJ green part two? Hopefully more a healthy Bob Sanders

Blue Thunder 04-27-2017 10:22 PM

I love this pick. Butler back to nickel...GM, true to his word, TJ Green has to work his ass off for snaps...Best player left on the board next to Allen. OJ Howard would get me excited as well.

natagu23 04-27-2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 11285)
Foster and Allen available and we pick a safety?

Please tell me this is not TJ green part two? Hopefully more a healthy Bob Sanders

Hooker is the real deal. Hooker is easily the "rangiest" player in the draft. Case and point, part of Clemson's gameplan in the college playoff was to avoid throwing any where around Hooker, but he still managed to pick off Watson because he's that good.

He fits what Pagano likes with a single high safety and man across the board.

T.J. Green? Again, I would like to see him get a shot at corner. Its brainless in a man scheme compared to playing safety.

Either that or trade his ass, because Green isn't beating out Hooker.

Puck 04-27-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natagu23 (Post 11370)
Hooker is the real deal. Hooker is easily the "rangiest" player in the draft. Case and point, part of Clemson's gameplan in the college playoff was to avoid throwing any where around Hooker, but he still managed to pick off Watson because he's that good.

He fits what Pagano likes with a single high safety and man across the board.

T.J. Green? Again, I would like to see him get a shot at corner. Its brainless in a man scheme compared to playing safety.

Either that or trade his ass, because Green isn't beating out Hooker.

Could be some thoughts of playing some big nickel with Geathers Hooker and Green

VeveJones007 04-27-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 11377)
Could be some thoughts of playing some big nickel with Geathers Hooker and Green

I don't think Green even registers in Ballard's planning process. FS was always a position he was looking to upgrade.

natagu23 04-27-2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 11377)

Hooker is already better than Green no doubt about it. No projects here. Hooker is who he is and that is a legit Ed Reed type who can shut down one top half of the field.

Green has to see the field some how imo in order to evaluate whether if he'll sink or float and that has to be at corner.

Plus we're paper thin at corner even if we make a selection day 2 of the draft. It only makes sense.

Blue Thunder 04-27-2017 11:54 PM

I can see Green competing for playing time at nickel... but I also see him backing up Geathers at SS. In any event our secondary is improved.

Chromeburn 04-28-2017 12:19 AM

The FS is one of the most important positions in the cover 3, and we got one of the best FS's to project in that defense since Earl Thomas. For what we do, this was a very good pick. Grigson's answer to that FS was TJ Green, Ballard's answer is Malik Hooker. Already I know we have a better GM with one pick.

And this isn't to say TJ Green should be gone. We surely can find a place for a guy his size and speed. Just not as the center fielder. Perhaps as the guy to watch the back out of the field. Because that is how you beat the cover 3 with a speedy back out of the back field.

ukcolt 04-28-2017 03:53 AM

I was and still am absolutely delighted with the pick....he was in my opinion the 2nd most disruptive defensive player in this draft behind Myles Garrett. For him to fall all the way down to us at pick 15 was a dream scenario i never even considered possible. To have had the choice over Hooker AND Allen, was unreal, but looks like the injury concerns for Allen are more of a risk than originally thought.

Hooker is a playmaker who is still learning how to play the position! He will instantly upgrade the entire secondary, allow us to have Butler continue as the nickle corner and primary backup to Hooker. Maybe if Green shows any signs of improvement we can consider the possibility of Geathers playing the hybrid LB role on a more full time basis, with Green, Hooker and Butler on the field at the same time.

We still desperately need a starting quality corner, to enable the defensive backs to step up and help improve the pass rush. Without this piece of the defense being upgraded then opposing QB's will just target Melvin constantly and get the ball out early before the pass rush have a chance to get there.

I LOVE the selection.

ukcolt 04-28-2017 04:08 AM

Defensive formations that Hooker allows us to become flexible in.

Base 3-4 defense
CB Vontae Davis
FS Malik Hooker
SS Clayton Geathers
CB New draft pick or Rashaan Melvin
OLB Jabaal Sheard
ILB Sean Spence
ILB Edwin Jackson
OLB John Simon
DE Kendall Langford
NT Johnathan Hankins
DE Henry Anderson

3rd and medium base defense
CB Vontae Davis
FS Malik Hooker
SS Donald Butler
OLB Jabaal Sheard
ILB Sean Spence
ILB Clayton Geathers
OLB John Simon
DE Kendall Langford
NT Johnathan Hankins
DE Henry Anderson

Nickle
CB Vontae Davis
FS Malik Hooker
SS T.J. Green
CB Donald Butler
OLB Jabaal Sheard
ILB Clayton Geathers
OLB John Simon
DE Kendall Langford
NT Johnathan Hankins
DE Henry Anderson

Dime
CB Vontae Davis
FS Malik Hooker
SS Clayton Geathers
SS T.J. Green
CB Donald Butler
OLB Jabaal Sheard
OLB John Simon
DE Kendall Langford
NT Johnathan Hankins
DE Henry Anderson

VeveJones007 04-28-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 11477)
I was and still am absolutely delighted with the pick....he was in my opinion the 2nd most disruptive defensive player in this draft behind Myles Garrett. For him to fall all the way down to us at pick 15 was a dream scenario i never even considered possible. To have had the choice over Hooker AND Allen, was unreal, but looks like the injury concerns for Allen are more of a risk than originally thought.

Hooker is a playmaker who is still learning how to play the position! He will instantly upgrade the entire secondary, allow us to have Butler continue as the nickle corner and primary backup to Hooker. Maybe if Green shows any signs of improvement we can consider the possibility of Geathers playing the hybrid LB role on a more full time basis, with Green, Hooker and Butler on the field at the same time.

We still desperately need a starting quality corner, to enable the defensive backs to step up and help improve the pass rush. Without this piece of the defense being upgraded then opposing QB's will just target Melvin constantly and get the ball out early before the pass rush have a chance to get there.

I LOVE the selection.

There will be starting caliber corners in rounds 2 and 3. I would expect at least one.

sherck 04-28-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcolt (Post 11478)
Defensive formations that Hooker allows us to become flexible in.

Base 3-4 defense
CB Vontae Davis
FS Malik Hooker
SS Clayton Geathers
OLB Jabaal Sheard
ILB Sean Spence
ILB Edwin Jackson
OLB John Simon
DE Kendall Langford
NT Johnathan Hankins
DE Henry Anderson

3rd and medium base defense
CB Vontae Davis
FS Malik Hooker
SS Donald Butler
OLB Jabaal Sheard
ILB Sean Spence
ILB Clayton Geathers
OLB John Simon
DE Kendall Langford
NT Johnathan Hankins
DE Henry Anderson

Nickle
CB Vontae Davis
FS Malik Hooker
SS T.J. Green
CB Donald Butler
OLB Jabaal Sheard
ILB Clayton Geathers
OLB John Simon
DE Kendall Langford
NT Johnathan Hankins
DE Henry Anderson

Dime
CB Vontae Davis
FS Malik Hooker
SS Clayton Geathers
SS T.J. Green
CB Donald Butler
OLB Jabaal Sheard
OLB John Simon
DE Kendall Langford
NT Johnathan Hankins
DE Henry Anderson

You, apparently, don't believe that ILB Jon Bostic will be a factor at all at ILB?

Cheers,

Coltsalr 04-28-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 11522)
You, apparently, don't believe that ILB Jon Bostic will be a factor at all at ILB?

Cheers,

He's started 1 game since the end of 2014, so probably not?

FatDT 04-28-2017 10:03 AM

Bostic obviously has talent since two teams have traded for him, but it's hard to expect much from him given how his career has gone so far.

ukcolt 04-28-2017 10:56 AM

No he might end up coming into to compete for a roster spot alongside Antonio Morrison, or possibly unseat Edwin Jackson, but i don't really expect him to be anywhere near the starting lineups in any of the formations that we will deploy.

If he makes the roster he will get game time, of course he will, but to spell players, not to be the primary guys in any of the packages.