ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2019 Draft - Interior DL (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66337)

Coltsalr 03-27-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 114759)
Robert Mathis didn't attend the combine either.

Correct, and he was drafted in the 5th round as a result and he wasn't expected to fill any major roles immediately. In fact, in Mathis' first three seasons he only actually started one game.

Like I said, I don't have a problem taking a flyer on a guy in the late rounds. It's that we shouldn't be relying on such a guy to step in and plug a hole.

YDFL Commish 03-27-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 114764)
Correct, and he was drafted in the 5th round as a result and he wasn't expected to fill any major roles immediately. In fact, in Mathis' first three seasons he only actually started one game.

Like I said, I don't have a problem taking a flyer on a guy in the late rounds. It's that we shouldn't be relying on such a guy to step in and plug a hole.

With Houston, Sheard, Turay and whoever else is the 4th DE...is there really a hole?

Coltsalr 03-27-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 114783)
With Houston, Sheard, Turay and whoever else is the 4th DE...is there really a hole?

Eli Walker, the prospect in question, is a Safety.

Chromeburn 03-27-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 114730)
What do you mean? They already re-signed Geathers. Are you saying that because of that, they probably won't draft Abrams?

I don't think Geathers being signed means anything. The Colts could still sign or draft their starting SS and Geathers would just then become the 3rd safety. He'd still play significant minutes and snaps in packages with 5+ DBs, and not having to play every down would help with his health.

I mean this contract would likely be it with us. He would not sign another after this year if we draft a safety high.

Only way would be if he blows up and the draft pick sucks.

VeveJones007 03-27-2019 09:47 PM

Some notes from Holder on the possibility of trading up:

https://theathletic.com/892290/2019/...nnual-meeting/

Quote:

My takeaway from this week is as follows: Everything is on the table, but the Colts’ view is that there is not a wide gulf between the talent at the bottom of the first round and players available throughout the second round and into the third round.

The possibility of moving up or down is certainly possible elsewhere, however. The Colts have another second-rounder, No. 59 overall. General manager Chris Ballard specifically cited the move he made last year to trade up from the early third round into the late second, a move that netted the Colts defensive lineman Tyquan Lewis.
If I had to bet, I think it's most likely Ballard would stay put at 26 & 34, then consider moving up from 59 if there's a good player they want.

Chromeburn 03-27-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 114788)
Some notes from Holder on the possibility of trading up:

https://theathletic.com/892290/2019/...nnual-meeting/

If I had to bet, I think it's most likely Ballard would stay put at 26 & 34, then consider moving up from 59 if there's a good player they want.

I agree with this also. I think the talent level plateaus after about 15 guys and continues for awhile. But I think trading down would likely be a benefit because so many guys are similarily rated. Unless you have a couple of specific guys targeted.

I also think those DT's are gonna get gobbled up quickly. I don't think Wilkins will be there, nor even Simmons. I'm starting to wonder about Tillery also. Dre'Mont should be there.

Puck 03-27-2019 11:37 PM

I’d bet he trades back into the second

Dam8610 03-28-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 114783)

Next year? No. In 2020 and beyond? Even if Turay and Lewis improve drastically.

Dam8610 03-28-2019 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 114798)
I’d bet he trades back into the second

I wouldn't be surprised and it's not a bad idea depending on who's on the board. Some QB needy team will fall in love with a QB that has no business going in Round 1.

VeveJones007 03-28-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 114803)
I wouldn't be surprised and it's not a bad idea depending on who's on the board. Some QB needy team will fall in love with a QB that has no business going in Round 1.

That depends on how those teams draft earlier in Rd 1 and whether or not they can get Rosen if Arizona goes with Murray. I could see something like:

Cards-Murray
Giants- Haskins
Broncos-Lock
Dolphins-Rosen
Washington-Jones

If it falls that way, where is the market for a team & QB at 26?